Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Sunroof Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sunroof Problem!!

Alright, let me see if I can explain this on here. K, so you know how when you close the sunroof, it stops towards the end, and you have to let off and push it again to close it all the way? Well, after I let off and push it again, it starts to close the rest of the way, but it hits a certain point and kicks back the other way and opens back up. I have to reach up out of the sunroof and pull down on the wind deflector piece in order to shut it all the way. The weird part, it only does it on warm days. I took it in to the dealer last summer and they replaced the whole roof of my car. It was fine all winter, but now it's doing it again. Has anyone else had this problem???

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-09-2018 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Title in All Caps (Shouting)
Old 03-02-2006, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same problem... its because the Scion windows and sunroof have the safety deal where if it gets a certain amount of back pressure, it will open back up so you don't crush your hand and ur wind visor in front of the sunroof is getting hard to push down to where the sunroof thinks someones hand is in the way. What i did was take some WD-40 and lube up every bolt I could find. I haven't had the problem since..... hope it helps

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-09-2018 at 05:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-02-2006, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

naw that doesnt mean nothin... the sunroof should close no matter what.... but the side windows do come back down if there is alot of pressure... like on the freeway going about 90... the sunroof... I had that problem...

just about where you reach the point where its gonna open up again....tap it a couple of times to close... and it will close....

i dunno it worked for me... now mine doesnt do that...if your under warrenty that it to the dealer... have em reset it...
Old 03-03-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, I'll try both!
Old 03-04-2006, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on mine i could tell that some of the lubricant was gone so i didnt do anything else but put wd-40 on it and i havent had the problem since
Old 03-04-2006, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member

Default Me too

I had the same exact problem. It would bounce off the safty sensor and open again. Its the plastic rails that push down the wind deflector when closing. I had to hold down the wind deflector while i closed the hood.

I brought mine in for a oil change and had the dealership (A1 in New Haven) check it out. They made some adjustments and it was much better...for a while.

Last month i was on a trip and started hearing a wistle from the back of the sun roof. Just brought it back in for another oil change and had them look at it again.

This time the told me that they need to order a sunroof sub assembly. It'll be in next week. Ill tell you how it all works out.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SiknesS
naw that doesnt mean nothin... the sunroof should close no matter what.... but the side windows do come back down if there is alot of pressure... like on the freeway going about 90... the sunroof... I had that problem...

just about where you reach the point where its gonna open up again....tap it a couple of times to close... and it will close....

i dunno it worked for me... now mine doesnt do that...if your under warrenty that it to the dealer... have em reset it...
the sunroof does have the "jam protection", so no it won't close no matter what.
and i think the last time this was brought up it was that the wind deflector got to hard to close back down easily cause the lube was gone or going away. and the thing would think someones extremity was in there.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

take it back to scion b/c i got a recall on the sunroof...i live in ga but i dont know if that effects anything...it was something about the sunroom messing up...i forget it was 4 months ago
Old 03-05-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well damn... for a cheap japanese car... we got alot of safety features then..HAHAHa
Old 03-05-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well damn... for a cheap japanese car... we got alot of safety features then..HAHAHa
Old 03-06-2006, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow all these problems hope it gets fixed soon!
Old 03-07-2006, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the safety recall on the sunroof was just because if the visor broke it would rain down glass all over you.... all they do is put a see-through sticker on the visor and that keeps it together.. that has nothing to do with it
Old 03-07-2006, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Clean the track. If there enough dust accumulated there it can trigger the pressure sensor. Take it to the carwash and spray around it, then open it up and wipe the channel (don't remove the grease!)

I lived in Nevada's dust bowl and had that problem all the time.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just thought I'd ad to this after hearing back from my dealer.

I have had my 2006 Scion tC for about 6 months now, have 10K miles on it and just brought it in to the dealer for service. I asked them to check the sun roof because:

1. A few times it has stopped closing (when hitting the front tracks for the air deflector) and reopened.

2.It seems to rattle alot when open.

Well, got the call today. I expected to hear "We cleaned the tracks, you are all set", but instead I got, "We have a new sunroof and front air deflector on order, we need the car for a few days". They said there is something wrong with the glass (warped or something).

So, I get a new sunroof.

Just a heads up. If you have these symptoms, definetly take it to the dealer before you clean the track yourself. There could be something else wrong.

Paul G.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad

SL Member

hey didnt scion have a recall on all wind deflectors...i know i had to take my 05 in to the dealer....and they sent me a complimentary jada toy red tc...lol
Old 09-16-2006, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I got my wind deflector recall done but I did'nt get the jada model ;( I have had the same problems with the sunroof, getting close to my warrenty ending I better get mine in.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the recal was only on early 06 and 05 models. after that it was already done before the dealer gets it.

you can tell if its on yours or not cause if you feel the front of it underneath when its open you can feel the edges of the vinyl thats there.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
the recal was only on early 06 and 05 models. after that it was already done before the dealer gets it.

you can tell if its on yours or not cause if you feel the front of it underneath when its open you can feel the edges of the vinyl thats there.
x2
Old 09-17-2006, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yep on certain days mine does this too but right before it gets the the part where it stops and kicks back I sit and tap the button a few times and it will close everytime. I need to get mine checked and my track cleaned out if there is something in there kicking it back.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:28 AM

I thought i would shed some light on this subject...

just so you know i used to be a mechanic at a toyota dealership and worked on the scions a lot....

the reason the tC sun roof sticks is because friction builds up on the two arms that lift up the front wind deflector glass from dust/dirt or lack of lube. if you wipe off and/or lube these arms periodically it wont stick. our normal fix would be to wipe it off and put on a dab of lube that ford sells (or any long lasting lube) and smear it over the top of the two arms. not too thick though. the sunroof rides smoothly after that no need to lube anything else

Quick Reply: Sunroof Problem!!