Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

tC Hatch Handle broken..

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC Hatch Handle broken..

The other night i went to open my hatch and the entire handle piece ripped right off. all the bolts and plastic anchors came right out.

Does anyone have one or know where I can buy one, I don't care what color I can always get it painted and I'm not trying to spend $175 on the carbon fiber one from BBist,
I don't want carbon fiber. I can (and will) fix it but I don't want it to happen again. I'd rather just buy a new one.
Any help well be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-01-2019 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

danget. Did you try the dealer?

I've always been afraid of that happening... anytime you even touch that thing it creaks like crazy
Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn son, you got to take it easy there with all your force. i just naturally pull the handle to open it and then lift from the bottem of the door to minimalize the stress on small plasticy parts. but that isn't normal wear and tear, it should be covered on warranty.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Its aparent that whoever painted your peice didnt put it on right. Or when they initially took it off they broke a peice and tried to super glue it on or something. Whatever they did they fked it up. If you take it to the dealer they're gonna see the emblem is missing. So technically its not their fault.

And on a side note... i never knew New Hampshires license plates were so vague "LIVE FREE OR DIE" lol
Old 05-01-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where did you get that piece at?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rolstc
Its aparent that whoever painted your peice didnt put it on right. Or when they initially took it off they broke a peice and tried to super glue it on or something. Whatever they did they fked it up. If you take it to the dealer they're gonna see the emblem is missing. So technically its not their fault.

And on a side note... i never knew New Hampshires license plates were so vague "LIVE FREE OR DIE" lol
i took the piece off and got rid of the emblem, had a friend paint it and then i put it back on myself. nothing was broken and it put back together properly. this was done about a year ago and i use my hatch a lot so i dont think its because it was broken before. i didnt and wont bother with the dealer because thats exactly what they would say.

erric1234 - is the stock piece just filled in and painted
Old 05-11-2007, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default This just happened to me too, today..

If you notice the only thing supporting the hatch is just a few screws my plastic just cracked off I opened it normally w/no pressure every time and this exact same thing happened I do use it allot also cuz I deliver pizza but,
I do take care of my car too. cuz its all I got plus its not paid for yet its a 2005 though so I believe a few years later the rest of the tC users will have this happen.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-01-2019 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 05-11-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

mine is totally stock and never tampered with
Old 06-08-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Hatch handle broken

I have a 2006 Scion tC completely stock, no mods, and had the exact same thing happen! I'm in the middle of fighting with the dealer (Clair Scion) about. They're denying warranty coverage claiming I used excessive force.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Hatch handle broken

Originally Posted by droddfish
I have a 2006 Scion tC completely stock, no mods, and had the exact same thing happen! I'm in the middle of fighting with the dealer (Clair Scion) about. They're denying warranty coverage claiming I used excessive force.
Same thing happend to me with Harrleson Toyota Rock Hill, SC basically I tried everything I could to fix it my self from double sided tape to bondo. Then the part was covered and was ordered. I got busy and I came a few months later and my warrenty was up and they refused to service it for free. I gave in and went to go order the part but then they found it in the back with my name on it from months ago when I had my warrenty. But, said theres nothing they could do. I never got a call saying it came in never was set a appointment by them to come get it or nothing. Simply put I had to spend $150 cause I had been using my trunk for 2 years of having my car. Nothing was done for me. Also they wanted almost another $200 to put it on...FOUR SCREWS! This doesn't have anything to do with this but also I went to buy a new mirror and they wanted over $400 to put it on only THREE NUTS, took 10 mins got called about this one arriving atleast, too bad I got called after I had already picked it up and installed it saying to come get it psh. Aaaand to replace one stock 17 inch wheel almost $500...I have not been impressed with toyota customer service especially when I was treated like crap and was basically almost refused to sell the car to me cause I complained about the neons under the dash being held by zip ties (At Town and Country Toyota Charlotte, NC)

SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE SCION/TOYOTA! Make this flaw on the trunk latch a FREAKIN recall and refund me and other tC owner's hard earned money!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i've owned a tC for close to 3 yrs and have had no problems.
it's not a flaw.... at least not one that's been an issue enough to even warrant any type of recall.

i would just say stop complaining and deal with the dealership...

you got issues with them... deal with them... it's not toyota in general.. you don't like your dealership and their service? go to another one.

and btw.. yeah.. it does take excessive force to break that thing off... so uhm... yea... i dunno what everyone's problem is.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your an animal
Old 06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It certainly is a flaw. I went to open my hatch last night and the PLASTIC snaps broke right off. I noticed previously that the handle was weak. I will go to the local dealer today to see how they handle it.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:44 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i still call it a flaw on the "human error" part.

seriously.. the hatch has an electronic switch... once you press it open... just lift the whole hatch itself... don't manhandle the thing and yank it..
Old 06-13-2007, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
i still call it a flaw on the "human error" part.

seriously.. the hatch has an electronic switch... once you press it open... just lift the whole hatch itself... don't manhandle the thing and yank it..
But, that is a horrible design! So basically when you use your cars trunk your expected to press the button THEN pull from the seal of the trunk?!?! Thats like using your door handle to pop the door then pulling from the seal of the door to open it. Reeeeetarded. If not call it a flaw then toyota needs to from now on sell their tC's stating yes this tC will come with an electronic release on the hatch BUT, may or may not break from regular use of using your trunk and will or will not require you to pay $150 to fix in a year or 2 not including another $150 to install the plastice P.O.S with 4 freakin screws. It is a freakin handle with a button you are suppose to pull up on it, pulling from a seal of the trunk is only the smart thing to do because if you do it the normal expected way it will break. So no, no exessive force and IT IS A FLAW!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:58 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

if it's a flaw.. how come no one else besides a select few people are complaining about it? and only those select few that have actually broken it?

if it was indeed a flaw, then everyone would've broken their handles.. esp. by now.

perhaps a different definition on most people's part.. perhaps.. but as it is defined, it's not.

as far as your experience with your dealership and them ripping you off... perhaps a little prior research on their customer service would've helped.
.. at least you realized that it wasn't worth $400 of labor for them to screw on three nuts.

if you want to complain, talk to scion and actually do something about it. no point ranting on a forum about your issues.

but i'll tell you probably what they're going to say... or pretty much what i have been saying.. flaw? it is not.

a minor defect on your specific vehicle? who knows... that's what warranty is for.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

if it's a flaw.. how come no one else besides a select few people are complaining about it? and only those select few that have actually broken it?

if it was indeed a flaw, then everyone would've broken their handles.. esp. by now..
A flaw doesn't have to be universal. They recalled the glass sunroof guard for Scion-paid modification because on a few vehicles it was randomly or easily shattering. Not every sunroof shattered.

a minor defect on your specific vehicle? who knows... that's what warranty is for.
According to Clair Scion, that's not what a warranty is for.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as far as your experience with your dealership and them ripping you off... perhaps a little prior research on their customer service would've helped.
I went to 2 different dealers for the things and the plastic latch. I bought my car at one and was treated like crap so I went to a different one I thought was different and tbey were doing ok until now. But, yeah basically if it breaks guys you have to dish out $150 cause you've been using your trunk. And if the dealer wont do anything what will talking to scion do.

Oh and once again it is a flaw in design, who puts plastic supports connected to your screws to support the whole freakin hatch weight when you open it??? Stupid design if anything.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well- I've had a CF hatch without any gas springs on the back for almost two months now, and i've had my tC for over a year. This means I have to unlatch the trunk, then grip it from the bottom and lift *and hold* it up... so far I've had no problems with the latch piece, but like SquallHeart said- I'm not hefting it by that piece.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:04 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by droddfish
A flaw doesn't have to be universal. They recalled the glass sunroof guard for Scion-paid modification because on a few vehicles it was randomly or easily shattering. Not every sunroof shattered.
there was NEVER any recall for the deflector.. a TSB was sent out as a safety concern that when the glass did shatter that it wouldn't spray everywhere... so an adhesive laminate was added.

Originally Posted by tC_Performance
Oh and once again it is a flaw in design, who puts plastic supports connected to your screws to support the whole freakin hatch weight when you open it??? Stupid design if anything.
refer to..
Originally Posted by WhiteWolfG
Well- I've had a CF hatch without any gas springs on the back for almost two months now, and i've had my tC for over a year. This means I have to unlatch the trunk, then grip it from the bottom and lift *and hold* it up... so far I've had no problems with the latch piece, but like SquallHeart said- I'm not hefting it by that piece.
the gas struts supports ALOT of the hatch weight... you probably can't even imagine how heavy it is without them... when i open my hatch, the gas struts lifts the hatch pretty much and requires little assistance on your part to open the hatch.

as i said... manhandling is not needed.

Quick Reply: tC Hatch Handle broken..