Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...
View Poll Results: are you having any "abnormal" paint problems with your tC
Yes - My car is Azure Pearl
2.53%
Yes - My car is Black Cherry Pearl
4.43%
Yes - My car is Flint Mica
9.49%
Yes - My car is Black Sand Pearl
6.96%
Yes - My car is Indigo Ink Pearl
2.53%
Yes - My car is Silver Streak Mica
8.23%
Yes - My car is Super White
6.33%
NO! - My car (any color) is doing fine.
59.49%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

tC paint problems - how many are effected?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member

however its always in the garage
Old 01-03-2005, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just noticed 1 small paint chip on my Flint Mica tC, right smack in the middle of the hood. Its tiny, you can't see it from far away, but up close it pains me to know that my not even a month old tC has a paint chip. :? But, what can you do?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bahamut_zero
I just noticed 1 small paint chip on my Flint Mica tC, right smack in the middle of the hood. Its tiny, you can't see it from far away, but up close it pains me to know that my not even a month old tC has a paint chip. :? But, what can you do?
I almost thought I posted this :?
Cut and paste...
Washed my car yesterday and I just noticed 1 small paint chip on my Flint Mica tC, right smack in the middle of the passenger front fender. Its tiny, you can't see it from far away, but up close it pains me to know that my month old tC has a paint chip.

Gonna get some touch up paint from the dealer and hopefully it doesn't get worst...
Old 01-04-2005, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shimmy
Originally Posted by sand
Originally Posted by mrtc
Don't trust the average tC buyer to know what's "abnormal." Too many first-time new-car owners.
100% agree...
yeah right. I think people know a paint problem when they see it.
Considering people are posting about single paint chips, I think this thread has already proved my point. ;-)
Old 01-04-2005, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some moron hit my rear end last week.....
they finally got it finished and dried today.......
some moron backed it up into the garage door.....
my car is getting painted tomorrow....

I think this is a paint problem.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member

Is there any way to to prevent these chips/swirls from happening? like another coat of paint
Old 01-23-2005, 10:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have soft paint. It dents and chips more easily than some other cars.

It's not coated with a 'ceramic'-like clearcoat, like the newer Mercedes Benz models.

If you really want to see bad factory paint, you should check out my mother's Hyundai Tiburon. Less than a year old, and the paint looks like hell.

I think people expect a very high-end paint job on a relatively inexpensive, well-built car that could pass as a relative of the Lexus IS 300.

I got a rock chip in my hood. It sucked. I cleaned it, patched it with touch-up paint, then used polishing compound on it until it blended with the rest of the car. It's still there, but not as noticable.

Someone in my apartment complex tapped my rear bumper while I was parked. It freaking sucked. There's a license plate frame-shaped, very shallow dent in my rear bumper. But it's barely noticable, and there's nothing I can do about it.

I found some swirl marks on my hood from where I had been wiping and re-applying coats of touch-up paint to the hood chip.

So I polished them out with scratch remover.

Stuff happens. If you take care of it, it won't all add up 'suddenly' and make you feel like your car turned into a jalopy overnight.

If you truly feel there is an unusual problem with your paint, call Scion Customer Relations at: (866) 707-2466.

Otherwise, go out and invest in some detailing products, and put some elbow grease into your 'paint problem.'
Old 01-23-2005, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Somnambulated
We have soft paint. It dents and chips more easily than some other cars.

It's not coated with a 'ceramic'-like clearcoat, like the newer Mercedes Benz models.

If you really want to see bad factory paint, you should check out my mother's Hyundai Tiburon. Less than a year old, and the paint looks like hell.

I think people expect a very high-end paint job on a relatively inexpensive, well-built car that could pass as a relative of the Lexus IS 300.

I got a rock chip in my hood. It sucked. I cleaned it, patched it with touch-up paint, then used polishing compound on it until it blended with the rest of the car. It's still there, but not as noticable.

Someone in my apartment complex tapped my rear bumper while I was parked. It freaking sucked. There's a license plate frame-shaped, very shallow dent in my rear bumper. But it's barely noticable, and there's nothing I can do about it.

I found some swirl marks on my hood from where I had been wiping and re-applying coats of touch-up paint to the hood chip.

So I polished them out with scratch remover.

Stuff happens. If you take care of it, it won't all add up 'suddenly' and make you feel like your car turned into a jalopy overnight.

If you truly feel there is an unusual problem with your paint, call Scion Customer Relations at: (866) 707-2466.

Otherwise, go out and invest in some detailing products, and put some elbow grease into your 'paint problem.'
word
Old 01-24-2005, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've only had my indigo ink pearl for about 4 days now...i don't have any chips or scratches yet, however, since the use so much salt here, the car almost looks like subaru blue in the sunlight sometimes. i'm going to wash it for the first time since i got it tomorrow, then i'm going to wax it with turtle wax ultra gloss. i'll use that stuff until i get my zaino wax
Old 01-24-2005, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put down as having a problem with my color, although the problem is not exclusive to my color. It's the quality. The color is great, but the paint and more importantly, are so thin that it takes very little to chip to the metal. I have about 4-6 major spots about 5 mm in diameter, and quite a bit more of very small dings on my hood. I was waxing my car again today (second time since owning), and I found a few dings on the side of my car. Also, i opened my door and BARELY (I made sure to not hit it quickly) a brick sign because I parked way over in my spot. I go home to notice quite a bit of paint missing now. It's really a bad paint quality. This being said, to expect this is natural because of the price, but it does suck seeing a car with less than 10k miles having so many chips. I keep telling myself "I'll be buying a CF Hood in a few years" but not because i want to, but because I'll need to replace the hood to make it look representable.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i got azure pearl...i only have a dig in front from a rock on the highway, a scuff on the back left corner(my mom rubbed up with her car), and a scratch on the bottom front spoiler....they r just normal chips that i am going to touch up in the spring...nothing too abnormal, just bad luck
Old 01-24-2005, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scikotics
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

IIP 3 weeks old, no prblems yet, (knock on wood)
Old 01-24-2005, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member

No problem on the Flint Mica so far. Have to wait until after this winter to see, after all the sand and salt.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I should also add that I'm in Florida, doing mostly all highway driving, and the highways here are always under construction. Translation = ashphalt can fly apparently.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First of all, don't bother calling Scion "Customer Experience" thinking you're going to get something out of them. All you're going to get is a run-around, wait 2 months to see a District Mgr who blows you off in under 3 minutes, and then eventually, once they have forgotten to send you paperwork and you have to call them up and request them to FAX it to you just so you can be sure you'll get it this time you'll have paperwork for an arbitration hearing. And then you're all on your own from there. I highly doubt I'll win my case because no matter how crappy the front end of my car looks now (15+ noticeable chips all the way down to the sheet metal of the car plus 2 fade spots forming beneath the paint.. getting worse every day) Scion can still claim its "normal wear and tear".

So, I'm doing what any self-respecting car owner would do and attempting to "fight The Man" on this one. Don't know if it'll get me anywhere, but at least I can say I tried and better yet- at least it's been brought to Scion Corporate's attention and maybe they'll be able to spare future owners this headache.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member

i had issues with my hood, seems to be under the clear coat. Dealership said they'd fix it free =)
Old 01-25-2005, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member

This is making me very nervous. I just ordered a SSM tc yesterday and I hope I don't regret it because the paint is bad.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Contra
This is making me very nervous. I just ordered a SSM tc yesterday and I hope I don't regret it because the paint is bad.

Eh.. no biggie. If I were you I'd save myself the trouble and cancel the order and just get another color while you still can. I just got an estimate today for fixing the chips and fade spots and repainting the front end of my car with a more durable clearcoat from a good bodyshop and.. yay.. $1,300!!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member

hahaha, good sh*t.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by smash
Originally Posted by Contra

Eh.. no biggie. If I were you I'd save myself the trouble and cancel the order and just get another color while you still can. I just got an estimate today for fixing the chips and fade spots and repainting the front end of my car with a more durable clearcoat from a good bodyshop and.. yay.. $1,300!!
Is there a link between the color of the cars and the paint problem? I just thought that flint mica and silver streak mica had the most votes because they were the most popular/bought colors.

Quick Reply: tC paint problems - how many are effected?