Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tint

So I got my rear windows tinted with 15. My god, why didn't I do this sooner. Well I love it. They refused to do the fronts (understandable cause its illegal) so I went to auto zone and bought some tint to do it myself. I figured out how to tint the windows. Im going to get a doctors note for the front windows from my general MD and optomotrist. So question here is the guy told me that tinting the front windows is no longer a fix it ticket. Its a moving violation. Can anyone verify or discredit this? Im in bakersfield, cali.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow. 60 views and 0 answers. Im glad you guys are so helpful.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It is covered under California Vehicle Code section 26708; the front windows in particular are addressed under article D, subsections 1-5. Nowhere in the code does it state the penalty for the violation.

The doctor's note is a nice try, but section 26708 has you covered there as well... devices to shield a driver's eyes from brightness must be removable, and used only during daylight hours (with a prescribed note from a doctor).

Section 26708.10: Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness."

Section 26708.2: No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

Notice how subsections 2 and 10 are in complete contradiction of one another? It's called "covering all the bases". I'd either take the chance, or look into some quality sunglasses. Oakley has particularly good optics.

Welcome to Cali.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow. Thanks for replying. I have oakleys. But this tint is more for night time when a**holes are drive and aiming their headlights right at your side mirrors so the glare comes into your eyes. So what i have resorted till now is to point the mirrors outwards so they don't bother me, thus leaving me with no way to look back without turning my body.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bubblemyster
Yes.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

If you want to tint the front I would find someone that "will" do it. First off you really need to be good to able to tint a front windshield. It's hard. Second I would use a better tint than some from Auto-Zone!
Old 04-24-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Necromancer
Originally Posted by bubblemyster
Yes.
I actually had a typed out response about how without the right tools and with no tinting experience, you'll do a crummy job with tinting. Not to mention, autozone tint =

But I decided not to, that would be rude.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

See you shoulda, he would not have felt so alone, though he might have felt a bit insulted.

Next time bubble, just pop on over to dmv.gov and look up the vc, would have taken you 20 minutes to find what you're after instead of depending on the intelligence of others to help you. Who do you think you are, our world leader? =p
Old 04-24-2005, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

use solar gard tint, thats what i have on my car.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been over to the DMV site. If you read my first post, its asking a specific question about whether the law has changed from a fix it ticket to a moving violation.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Huey, where could i buy some "solar gard" tint instead of the gila stuff from autozone.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You generally have to be a liscensed dealer to get that tint. You could try going to a tint shop and seeing if they'd sell you the necessary amount of tint to do it yourself. They probably won't do it though. Just buy lots of extra of the Gila crap, you'll need it when you get huge creases in your car.

I know I sound like an _______ but I'm just trying to pound it in that it's cheaper and MUCH BETTER for you just to get it at a tint shop. Especially in CA where competition is feirce.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
You generally have to be a liscensed dealer to get that tint. You could try going to a tint shop and seeing if they'd sell you the necessary amount of tint to do it yourself. They probably won't do it though. Just buy lots of extra of the Gila crap, you'll need it when you get huge creases in your car.

I know I sound like an _______ but I'm just trying to pound it in that it's cheaper and MUCH BETTER for you just to get it at a tint shop. Especially in CA where competition is feirce.
Thats why I paid like 1xx yesterday to tint my back windows. I am trying to tint the front and no one will do in bakersfield.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if anyone knows where i can buy better quality tint film please tell me. Company name of film and place to buy would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Shoulda just driven down to SoCal and had the job done. The place I go will do all five windows in whatever shade you want for $139-- after all, it's no their liability for doing it, it's yours for having it done.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got a nice 30% rear 35% front windows, nothing on the windshield jobby on my tC.

Only 125 and the dealer did a great job. Looks very classy. Too bad it's a great day today and I can't put the windows down.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could actually get away with rolling the windows down, hell when I'm tining I'll roll it up and down all the time. However if there is any tint that is folded up or stops above the seal, there is a chance it will bind up and come off the window if it isn't glued on too well. Heat will take care of that, the natural kind from the sun .
Old 04-24-2005, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but does anyone know where to buy good tint? or am i just stuck with the gila.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope
Shoulda just driven down to SoCal and had the job done. The place I go will do all five windows in whatever shade you want for $139-- after all, it's no their liability for doing it, it's yours for having it done.
Man the prices in bakersfield kill you. They try to rip every penny from you. Well if would have known earlier I would have done so. Next time.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just thought of something...if bubblemyster actually does tint his front window himself he will almost assuredly actually become the Bubblemyster. shouldn't be too long before there are bubbles all over the windshield.

rivulent is right bubble, have someone do it or just don't do it at all. there's a reason for professional tinters.

"...tinted back window with a bubble in the middle..." "My Hooptie," Sir Mix-A-Lot

chris

Quick Reply: Tint