Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

TRF rear lip spoiler for tC

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

is that the estimated price for pre-painted or plain?
Old 12-19-2004, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

The spoiler looks awesome in person. It's hard to tell by just looking at the picture.

Everyone has their own personal preferences. This spoiler looks sporty and compliments the lines of the car - it's not too ricey.

Some people like the "shopping cart"..rice boy look...but again to each his own.

The spoiler looks great....
Old 12-19-2004, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jblaze4lif
wow i really like it , ill buy it, how does it attach if there is no drilling required

:D
since it's a lip spoiler...and there is almost 85% surface touching the trunk line... industrial strength 3M double-sided tape are furnished for easy application. I've already took the car in the triple digit and there is no sign of lift on the wing. Not to mention.. u'll probably will have extreme difficulty detaching the wing if u try once it's installed - that's how sturdy it is.

As for the price..that's based on "non-painted" wing...but ready to paint surface.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Will they offer it pre-painted?

And what % of tint do you have on your car Alex?
Old 12-19-2004, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by PunkInDrublic
Will they offer it pre-painted?

And what % of tint do you have on your car Alex?
TRF have mentioned something about selling "factory painted wings" at additional cost.

As for the tint... the rear hatch is 5% limo tint and the sides are 15%.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

well, that's one of the best spoilers I've seen for the tC so far

but I still don't like it all that much, but a lot better than some of the other crap out there. The best spoiler I'd say is the kaminari carbon fiber wing on their blue tC, but it wouldn't look good on my flint mica

the second pic looks incredible, but I can't get over that trunk line that runs up near the antennae, or what it would look like with the trunk open with the sides overhanging like that, or if you slam the trunk and the sides bend and hit your paint, or the flex loosens the adhesive.....

I still say spoilerless looks the best, but I like how that lip spoiler follows the tail lights and the 3rd brake light so flush - and I'm wondering what the shape is closest to the rear windshield, hopefully not bulky or rounded, would probably look good if it blended town to the trunk flush, wouldn't do much for aerodynamics, probably against it if it was soo sharp of a cut off with all that downforce coming off that nicely curved roof
Old 12-19-2004, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Otocan
well, that's one of the best spoilers I've seen for the tC so far

but I still don't like it all that much, but a lot better than some of the other crap out there. The best spoiler I'd say is the kaminari carbon fiber wing on their blue tC, but it wouldn't look good on my flint mica

the second pic looks incredible, but I can't get over that trunk line that runs up near the antennae, or what it would look like with the trunk open with the sides overhanging like that, or if you slam the trunk and the sides bend and hit your paint, or the flex loosens the adhesive.....

I still say spoilerless looks the best, but I like how that lip spoiler follows the tail lights and the 3rd brake light so flush - and I'm wondering what the shape is closest to the rear windshield, hopefully not bulky or rounded, would probably look good if it blended town to the trunk flush, wouldn't do much for aerodynamics, probably against it if it was soo sharp of a cut off with all that downforce coming off that nicely curved roof
As I have stated earlier... it's just a prototype. The design isn't finish...TRF will reshape the spoiler abit so it will be perfect. I just wanted to see how people felt about it in general and if production should be enforced. I personally like it alot...although have mentioned few minor redesign suggestions to make it a great seller.

I will take more pix and post them here later. There is no rubbing or touching of any kind (even if you tried slamming ur hatch). The trunk opens perfectly fine and looks pretty good with the rear hatch open.

Keep in mind that this is only a prototype and initial design as to what it will actually look like as final product.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So is that thing just held on by double sided tape?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

So is that thing just held on by double sided tape?
yeah... I was skeptical at first. But after a week of driving on it...and even attempting to pry it off, it won't budge. These are not your conventional double sided tape...it's industrial 3M tape. There is alot of surface area that contours the spoiler..so it's really sturdy. I like the fact that it's double sided tape..so u can take it off without damaging your trunk...not to mention, you don't have to drill holes.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hmm, would traditional car washes or high(medium for car's paint) pressure washers have any affect on it?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hmm, would traditional car washes or high(medium for car's paint) pressure washers have any affect on it?
i doubt it. TRF has had many lip spoiler and even pedestal spoilers on his mercedes, Lexus and other for few years with these double sided tape. After hundreds of washes and torment in hot/cold weather... the spoilers are sturdy just like Day 1.

As I mentioned..there is alot of trunk surface facing the lip spoiler..so the tape will stretch all the way across in multiple lines... securing any possibility of coming off.

And besides...the spoiler is not that heavy to begin with. It will be fiber-glass ...durable and light.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If the tape is so strong, wouldn't it lift the paint as well if you ever have to remove it? I'm thinking this should be tested. Other then that, I think it looks good. I would rather have it end shorter though so it doesn't stick out that far.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by brian
If the tape is so strong, wouldn't it lift the paint as well if you ever have to remove it? I'm thinking this should be tested. Other then that, I think it looks good. I would rather have it end shorter though so it doesn't stick out that far.
well..we'll find out soon, cuz i'll be taking the prototype off later this week in order to finish up the design. We did take the spoiler off once before...with much effort we did peel it off and there were no damage watsoever to the paint of the car.

The reason we "wrapped" the edges around the rear quarter panel and along the lines of the tail light was to give it a smoother design. If we decided to keep it short and stop at the edge of the trunk...it would have looked "chopped off" at the edge or something similar to "civic stock spoiler"

TRF designs bodykits ... and they want to make trademark designs that is best suited for the car. I am pretty confident that many will like the finish product once it's done. The edges will be less curved and more angled along the bodyline. It will be one nice looking lip spoiler. I'm a big fan of lip spoilers...especially on the tC. This spoiler is much appreciated in person...
Old 12-20-2004, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quite possibly the best spoiler that will be made for the tC.

Gives it that @$$ look it needed in the 1st place :-P
Old 12-20-2004, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, I don't like the look of the pedestal spoiler.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by stupidriver
Personally, I don't like the look of the pedestal spoiler.
i second that... pedestal seems abit off from the tC rear bodyline...IMO.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Banned
SL Member

That spoiler makes me want to buy a tC. The side of the spoiler needs to be cut off IMO. I do agree lip spoilers will do the tC justice.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not a big fan of the TCs stubby tail end.. that khamaari (spelling?) spoiler is nice. I like the lip spoiler because it seems to complete the tc a bit. New spoilers are always a welcome addition, thats for sure. Id say that spoiler (up above) is nice but it hangs too far off the rear .. or maybe the pic i saw wasnt too great. I duno :?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Finally

Finally, a lip spoiler you can actually see! If you're putting together a list of people to notify when its out, put me in that list. I assume the price range you gave is for prepainted?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

the kaminari spoiler is nice, but its also priced around $700 dollars, not worth it imo

Quick Reply: TRF rear lip spoiler for tC