Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

VRD Driving Lights on a RS2 + Review *56k=Upgrade your ISP*

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Default VRD Driving Lights on a RS2 + Review *56k=Upgrade your ISP*

Lately, there has been a lot of talk about Vertex Racing and the VRD driving lights, and I thought I'd offer my perspective.

Customer Service: From start to finish, the whole process was painless. I spoke to Robert at Vertex Racing on Thursday to order the lights and he offered me the following options: he could ship them, or I could save on shipping by driving 40 miles and have them installed by the Vertex Racing staff... no brainer. I arrived Friday afternoon at their 10,000+ sq. ft. warehouse in the City of Industry; they definitely are not a fly-by-night company, they had plenty of stock and a full-time shipping staff buzzing around during my time there. The staff was extremely helpful, friendly, and genuinely interested in my questions and feedback.

Build Quality: I had a chance to see the original prototype lights and they were true eBay quality: cheaply made, fragile, and ricey... a prime example of $125-$150 driving lights. Needless to say Vertex Racing rejected that design and created their own, the final product, albeit more expensive, is far superior and worthy of the title "OEM Quality": thick safety glass lens, heavy gauge PnP wiring harnesses and replay (no splicing), and an illuminated factory-looking push-button switch... oh, and a one-year warranty.

Final Thoughts: Despite the initial negative responses here on ScionLife, I believe I got a high quality product from a company that truly cares about what their customers think. Every question I had got answered, and if I have a problem with the lights, all I need to do is call them. I got free installation (available to locals), and they even went as far as to install SilverStar bulbs, per my request, to match my headlights. More importantly, they look damn good and throw some serious light filling in the gaps inherent to the low beams... which is what true driving lights should do. You will not find an equal or better quality product at a lower price or by hacking IS300 lights, which will cost you more in time and aggravation to save a few dollars. If you want quality, you shouldn't be put off by the price.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:54 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Sounds like a great company. so they're driving lights not fog lights (or is that one in the same).

nevermind I read the VRD post.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Looks nice. I like em alot. Nice job dude.

I'm not familiar with vertex racing. thanks for the review, its always helpful!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:56 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Oh and yeah they do look good.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much did u spend for all that?
Old 01-07-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

i got them 1st!!! lol

hey man glad u like those. i love mine, their awesome
Old 01-07-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by babyfac3pn01
how much did u spend for all that?
The lights list for $285.00 online, and they recently had a 25% off sale Nov/Dec. Since you are local, I'd give them a call.

The SilverStars cost $40 out-of-pocket, but they match my headlights (also with SilverStar bulbs).
Old 01-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Banned
SL Member

Looks nice on the RS2 color. Will these lights work if I have the factory OEM foglights? Will installation be complicated or actually easier?
Old 01-07-2007, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those are pretty sharp lookin!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW! those look great ... i really want to get these in yellow haha ... and thats cool that they offered to install them for you ... im moving to So_CaL for college around june .... so maybe ill buy a set and have them install it haha .... oh yeah any nightime pics of them on ???
Old 01-07-2007, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by FLEA
Looks nice on the RS2 color. Will these lights work if I have the factory OEM foglights? Will installation be complicated or actually easier?
Thanks! With the way the OEM fogs and VRD lights are wired, I don't believe you can run both at the same time without splicing or burning harnesses. As to whether or not installation should be easier when replacing the OEM fogs, I don't know... it's best to contact Vertex with that question. (sales@vertexracing.com or 626.810.1699)
Old 01-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4you
Originally Posted by FLEA
Thanks! With the way the OEM fogs and VRD lights are wired, I don't believe you can run both at the same time without splicing or burning harnesses. As to whether or not installation should be easier when replacing the OEM fogs, I don't know... it's best to contact Vertex with that question. (sales@vertexracing.com or 626.810.1699)
I meant taking out my OEM foglights, putting in the OEM bottom grill, and putting in the VRD fogs like the original picture above...I should've elaborated on that.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I think your only problem would be getting a lower grill to replace it, but since the fogs come with all the hardware then it should be easy. Plus the place is right up the freeway from you AND install is free.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: VRD Driving Lights on a RS2 + Review *56k=Upgrade your I

Originally Posted by 2fast4you

Lately, there has been a lot of talk about Vertex Racing and the VRD driving lights, and I thought I'd offer my perspective.

Customer Service: From start to finish, the whole process was painless. I spoke to Robert at Vertex Racing.........

Build Quality: Vertex Racing rejected that design and created their own, the final product, albeit more expensive, is far superior and worthy of the title "OEM Quality": thick safety glass lens, heavy gauge PnP wiring harnesses and replay (no splicing), and an illuminated factory-looking push-button switch... oh, and a one-year warranty.

Final Thoughts: Despite the initial negative responses here on ScionLife, I believe I got a high quality product from a company that truly cares about what their customers think. Every question I had got answered, and if I have a problem with the lights, all I need to do is call them. I got free installation (available to locals), and they even went as far as to install SilverStar bulbs, per my request, to match my headlights. More importantly, they look damn good (more pix later) and throw some serious light filling in the gaps inherent to the low beams... which is what true driving lights should do. You will not find an equal or better quality product at a lower price or by hacking IS300 lights, which will cost you more in time and aggravation to save a few dollars. If you want quality, you shouldn't be put off by the price.

I got these also about 2 weeks ago and just have not had a chance to post about them. So now I will chime in :?

Customer service was incredible. I also delt with Robert. First class!

I work in Parts & Service at a Toyota dealership and I had a couple of Techs remove my OEM fog and install these. We were shocked at the quality of the product. After reading other peoples posts about VRD I was a little scared, but I spoke with someone who had the lights and gave them a rave review so I got them. You will pay a little more for quality and before I will "Cut" anything bumper related to make the IS lights fit I thought I would give these a shot.

This "Final Thoughts" line above sums it up. These lights ROCK!!

Tim
Old 01-07-2007, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these look sick.. i want them now.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How're the visibility on these bad boys?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

do they have them in yellow?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Old 01-07-2007, 01:48 PM