Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

vrd fogs not working after installing new head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default vrd fogs not working after installing new head unit

I was wondering if this relates at all, but after installing the head unit for my car (single din deh-x6500bt)...my fogs stopped working. I am sure the fog lights worked because I went on a mcdonald's run prior to putting the head unit into my car and saw the reflection of the yellow on the garage door. Checked the fuse under the driver side, its fine...all the wires look fine and connected. Anyone have any idea why my fog lights are not working?...or if the head unit relates to this in any way? (odd, but possible) lol
Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you checked the bulbs? Both of mine went out at the same time once.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not positive where the foglight relay is in a tc1, but in the tc2 the relay is behind the head unit. Maybe it popped loose while rummaging around back there. Worth a check.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thermos2003
Not positive where the foglight relay is in a tc1, but in the tc2 the relay is behind the head unit. Maybe it popped loose while rummaging around back there. Worth a check.
i was considering something behind the head unit mattered for it to work but when installing it, i only messed with the plugs on the left side... There was actually wires that were not in use after i plugged it in, I am assuming it was for the steering wheel and something else. highly doubt the head unit controls the fogs :\

all wires from all ends look fine. the fuse looks good too

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
Have you checked the bulbs? Both of mine went out at the same time once.
checked the bulbs. i only recently reinstalled the fogs like 2 days ago so the bulbs should be fresh, but i checked anyways. they both look normal.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone knows what exactly the remaining harnesses behind the stock head unit is used for? after replacing my single din, there were 3 out of 5 harnesses that did not connect to the head unit. wondering if one of those somehow connected to the oem fog lights?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is very unlikely that the radio would be connected in anyway with the fog lights. An easy way to check would be plugging the factory radio back in and see if they work. Also double check your illumination wires if you even hooked the up, sometimes those can cause weird lighting issues. Check all the fuses in the fuse box and under the hood. Hopefully you soldered and heat shrunk or crimp capped (NOT wire nuts) the harness connections.
Depending on the year of your tC1, the extra harnesses could be for the aux inputs in the center console or the steer wheel controls, or they could be an extra plug for the factory sub option.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol late reply but like I got it to work. Installed stock head unit and it worked. Then disconnected the wires one by one and the light still worked. Now they work with the new head unit connected..weird