Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Web Electric turn signal/drl mod....now with DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Default Web Electric turn signal/drl mod....now with DIY

hi everyone. i just finished installing the web electric turn signal/drl module. it costs $39.95 with free shipping. order here.
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
i ordered the pruis kit but all the modules are the same. its the drl-1

its works beautifully.

what this module does is makes your turn signals work as the daytime running lights (drl). when you use the turn signal/ hazards it will still function as the turn signals. when you turn off the turn signals it goes back to drl.

it can be wired so that it shuts off when the park lights are activated but that would kinda defeat the purpose of why alot of us would want it in the first place for the tc. (the park lights suck stock).

i got some hyper yellow bulbs so they function like foglights from the dc-2 teggies (jdm version.)

here is the diy. almost complete. didn't have time to snap the hook up of the power wire. will get that tomorrow. forgive me if it looks a lil crappy (especially some of the pics). first time at doin this.

now,as with all diy's, if you mess up something on your car im not responsible for that. do this mod at your own risk. if you hook up everthing like you're supposed to then it will all work out.

Tools needed:
ratchet with 10mm socket/short extension or phillips screwdriver
flathead screwdriver
floorjack and jackstands
wire cutter/crimper/stripper
test light (if you don't know which wire the acc is.)

k, fresh out of the package here are the contents. the module is the black thing with all the wires attached to it. for some reason there is a single mint in the kit that says "thank you" on the back. lol. wierd.

Name:  PICT0299.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  45.0 KB

first thing to do is to remove the front bumper. start at the top clips. remove the 5 clips with a flathead.

Name:  PICT0318.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  32.5 KB
Name:  PICT0319.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  29.4 KB
Name:  PICT0322.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  33.8 KB

next, remove the side 10mm screws with ratchet and 10mm socket or phillips screwdriver (you will need to turn the wheel in for each side you work on to have room)

Name:  PICT0325.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  18.2 KB

next pull back on the plastic fender liner and locate and remove the 10mm screw holding the corner of the bumper together (one on each side) use ratchet with 10mm socket and short extension.
Name:  PICT0328.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  14.1 KB

Name:  PICT0326.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  20.4 KB

next remove the two 10mm bolts on the bottom and all of the 10mm screws holding the splash guard onto the bumper with the 10mm socket and ratchet. (i did it without jacking up the car but it will be alot easier if you jack the car up on some jackstands.)

Name:  PICT0323.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  19.9 KB

next pull on each side of the bumper and it will pop out of the tabs like this.

Name:  PICT0329.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  18.6 KB

next pull on the middle of the bumper straight toward you and it should come right off. (if you took all of the screws and tabs out.)

Name:  PICT0330.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  21.2 KB

k, at this point, this is how it looks with the bumper off. next take the foam bumper shock absorber off by pulling straight towards you.
Name:  PICT0332.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  25.6 KB

next find the left turn signal socket located here. we will be installing the drl module on this side of the car.
Name:  PICT0300.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  25.0 KB

next remove the socket and pull it behind the headlight like this (so there is more room to work with when removing the electrical tape and cutting the wires)
Name:  PICT0302.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  48.3 KB

next remove the upper part of the socket so you don't scratch or damage the bulb by pressing in this tab and pulling up on the top of the socket. it also makes it easier to slip behind the headlight cuz the socket will be skinnier when the top is removed.
Name:  PICT0303.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  18.1 KB

it should look like this when seperated.
Name:  PICT0304.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  42.9 KB

next remove the electrical tape surrounding the wires for the turn signal socket.
Name:  PICT0305.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  32.9 KB

take this piece of plastic covering off.

Name:  PICT0306.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  34.2 KB

(a)use a razor (carefully) to cut straight down the plastic cover and pull the wires out like this.
(b) forgot to mention that this thing clips to the headlight. sorry.
Name:  PICT0307.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  31.0 KB

locate the yellow wire and cut it in half like this. strip bout a half inch of plastic off each end of the yellow wire with a wire stripper.
Name:  PICT0308.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  29.5 KB

here hook the wires up like this. use the supplied wire twist nuts.
a) hook up the violet(purple) wire to socket end of the yellow wire.
b) hook up the pink wire to the wire harness side of the yellow wire.
c) use the wire tap and tap into the white/black stripe wire with the green wire.
Name:  PICT0309.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  24.0 KB

make sure you tape up your connections with electrical tape.
Name:  PICT0311.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  31.0 KB

bunch everything in this area together and electrical tape it. now run the turn signal socket and the module back through to where the turn signal socket plugs into the headlight at. be extra careful not to dent the module when doing this or it might damage the module internally.

Name:  PICT0313.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  22.8 KB

k, next grab the red/brown extension wire from the kit. the wire color is all messed up in the picture but its supposed to be red/brown. separate and strip bout a half inch off the tips of the wire like this with a wire stripper.
Name:  PICT0334.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  19.1 KB

connect the red and brown extension wires to the same color wires from the module.
Name:  PICT0338.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  29.1 KB

with the module next to the left turn light socket hole of the left headlight run the red and brown extension wire across the top of the bumper support and cut the wire like this. (leave a lil bit longer than how i have cut it so you have more room to work with)
Name:  PICT0336.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  45.5 KB

(a)run the red and brown wire under the radiator support like this and strip a half inch off the end of the wire plastic with the wire stripper.
(b) be careful of the bracket circled on the left in this picture when you pull the right turn signal socket behind the right headlight in the next step. if you don't pull the socket to the right of the bracket when pulling it behind the headlight, the wire for the socket will be caught behind the bracket and it will be hard to put the socket back through to where it plugs into the headlight.
Name:  PICT0339.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  54.4 KB

next remove the right side turn signal socket, pull through the back of the right headlight and remove the tape like you did on the left side. unplug the top of the socket like on the left side.

find the green wire and cut the wire in half. strip bout half inch off the ends of the wire.
a)connect the brown wire to this end.
b)connect the red wire to this end.

Name:  PICT0335.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  36.7 KB
tape everything up and run the turn signal sock back through to where it mounts in the headlight.

now cap off the blue and white wires. we will not be using them.

the blue wire is what turns off the drl function when the parking lights are on. if you want it to do that then simply attach the blue wire to the power wire of the parking light. (the small bulb on the bottom of the low beams.)

the white wire is used to turn off the drl function when the turn signals are in use. it is a safety function. the way i have it hooked up (or not hooked up) is the way most drl's work. one turn signal blinks while the other one stays lit. with this wire connected to ground when one turn signal blinks the other one gets turned off.
if you want the latter simply ground this white wire.

Name:  PICT0345.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  40.2 KB

next find this hole next to the left side turn signal socket.
place the module next to this hole and zip tie it there with the supplied zip tie.

Name:  PICT0347.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  23.3 KB

the module should look like this when mounted. make sure the module is mounted with the wires facing down so that if water does splash up on it it won't pool where the wires are and short out the module.
Name:  PICT0348.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  45.6 KB

next use the supplied zip ties and secure the red/brown wire to the bumper support like this
Name:  PICT0348.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  45.6 KB
Name:  PICT0349.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  35.7 KB
Name:  PICT0350.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  45.1 KB

next run a power wire (ign acc located behind radio) through the firewall and run it through the engine compartment and connect to the yellow wire of the module. (will get pictures tomorrow)

k, by now everything should be wired. plug the top of the sockets back into the base, re insert the sockets back in the headlights and test the lights. the turn signals should come on within 5 seconds of turning the key to the ACC position. they are delayed in turning on. it is normal.

next test the turn signals for proper operation.

if all is well slap the bumper back on in reverse of removal procedure and enjoy the new lights.

daytime pics
Name:  PICT0353.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  32.0 KB
Name:  PICT0354.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  32.5 KB

night time pics
Name:  PICT0351-1.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  16.2 KB
Name:  PICT0352-1.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  12.8 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0348.jpg (45.6 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by tc-guy; 02-11-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not feeling it actually. Looks ... wrong. Or out of place.

Maybe with some fogs - but I just don't feel like the turn signals work for this.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

thats cool ack. its not for everyone. some will like it some won't. alot of ppl was tryin to figure out how to keep the turn signals on along with the headlights so i thought i would share this.

constructive criticism is welcome.

it looks 10x better in person tho.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like it and I'm looking forward to a DIY.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2^
just don't dig the yellow =/
does it flash white?
or just flash?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Banned
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like it! I tried looking up threads on this here and I saw that tcpete was trying to do it for awhile.

definatly looking forward to it.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Simplylibet
x2^
just don't dig the yellow =/
does it flash white?
or just flash?
it flashes yellow right now cuz of the yellow bulb. it will flash whatever color the bulb you put in. it only flashes when you use your blinkers. when the blinkers are not in use it will stay on all the time when the car is on. you can wire a switch into the power line if you want to be able to turn it off. i don't want it to turn off so i have it hooked up to the ign. acc. wire.

it works just like the new tundra drl's except i have it wired where it won't turn off or get dim when you turn on the parking lights.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:39 AM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Im digging it
Old 02-11-2010, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wonder if that LED bulb that is sold for the xb2 that is white for the running light and then turns amber when the blinkers/hazards are used would work with this mod.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by AcidDrop
i wonder if that LED bulb that is sold for the xb2 that is white for the running light and then turns amber when the blinkers/hazards are used would work with this mod.
unfortunately i don't think it will. xb2 bulbs are dual filament. don't know on the led's tho. i could be wrong.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats the kit run?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Murphys_Law
whats the kit run?
$39.95 with free shipping
Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wonder if this will work for the high beams except use an LED 9005 bulb so there wont be so much heat, a few ppl have been trying it, maybe this would work just different wires
Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah im sure it could be wired to work for high beams. just wire it exactly the same as above but hook the blue wire up to the parking light power wire so when the low beams are in use the high beam drl shuts off until you manually turn on the high beams with the switch.

i have no clue concerning if the 9005 led bulbs will work tho.

also i don't know if the higher current of the headlight bulbs will cause any issues. if there too much current running through the module it could damage it. don't know till you try tho. good luck.

Last edited by tc-guy; 02-11-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bringing this back up... i've been wanting to wire up my turn signals as DRL's only and put some LED strips in the eyebrows and have those as my turn signals.

could i still buy this kit and wire everything up other than the signal option part and just use the stock turn signals as DRLs???

if i can, which steps would i not have to do? or if i can't, does anyone know which fuse i can tap into to make the turn signals work as DRLs? im thinking the ignition switch might be a good option but i just want to ask to make sure...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have this done on my 08 headlights. I think it looks better on those because of the little round housing.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great DIY but I actually like that the TC is one of the few cars where the turn signals are NOT on all the time
Old 10-20-2010, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like my APT fog light conversion to DRL's!
Old 10-20-2010, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ExpresScion
I have this done on my 08 headlights. I think it looks better on those because of the little round housing.
That's now mine is wired too!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im doing this

Quick Reply: Web Electric turn signal/drl mod....now with DIY