Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

widebody

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member

Default widebody

I was looking at the ATI widebody kit and i was just wondering how much of an offset on the rims would you need with that body kit. i would like to go with 19's, but 18's would be suitable. also how much do you think it would cost to get it painted (flint mica)? if its going to be too much then i will most likely get a regular non-widebody body kit. thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

ok, buddy... here goes.. First off i have been doing alot of research in this, and as you can see in my sig, i am planning on getting this kit myself... But, you need to make sure you know what you are getting into.

There is an issue of SuperStreet that is coming out with a full article of the Body, and later issues will discuss the installing of the kit itself. (Straight from the Horses Mouth at AIT) August issue is the tenitive issue of SuperStreet that it will be in.

Also to run the wider rims you WILL HAVE TOO CUT your stock fenders. YES, this is true.. But this is ONLY IF you run wider rim / offset. I dont think it would look right with stock rims, or rims that would normally fit on a stock tC. Right now i am hashing out the details with an AIT rep. on the actual details of wheel fitment and set up. From what i understand, on thier ride the offset is set to a 0 (zero), on a 19x8.5 (all-around) with the RACING HART's CX-R's which is a CUSTOM SETUP, not a normal offset, so these will have to be made special order (expect to pay between 2500-3200 for just the rims on the Racing Harts or most specail order rims will cost you).

Once you cut your stock fenders there is no going back to stock unless you buy new front and rear quarter panels. MAD $$$$. It is instructed that only a professional do this work, not your run of the mill body shop.. I will MOST LIKELY purchase the CF version, which consists of the front/rear fenders, and the front rear splitter(which comes on the fiberglass version-splitters only), and the front rear bumpers which are the same as the fiberglass as well.. The Fiberglass version runs about 16-1800, an the CF version runs about 25-3000, which has a build time of 3 months. These are very well made items, and not crappy fitments you see on other fiberglass / CF bodykits.

Now as for painting these items. If you get the CF version you will have to paint less which will save you, but makes up for the cost in the price (BENEFIT in getting the CF, exspecially if you have a BLACK or BSP tC. Which is my thoughts on this as well).. Back to costs.. In my experience in painting my parts, it will run you about 4-500 for both rear and front bumpers, and about 5-700 for the sides (non-CF).. This will run you a total of about 1000 - 1200 in paint work, but this is a normal shop you will have to go to, but if you go to a dealer like shop expect to pay twice that. If you know someone in that does this work you could probably get it done for about 6-700, but that is stretching it. Dont forget the body work, materials(paint and finish work) that is all included in this, plus the install price. Good shops will add the install price into the paint job, but will most likely charge you made $$ for the fabercation (cutting of the fenders), or wont touch it at all.. Thats why you need to show them all that is being done. Hince the Issue of SuperStreet which i am patiently waiting for.

Total build with (AVG=average costs)
Rims: $2500 (avg)
Tires: $500-$700 (avg)
KIT-Non CF Shipped: $1700 (avg)
Fender Cutting: $2-300 (avg)
Paint(Non-CF): $1100 (avg) CF ver.: $5-600 (Front/Rear Bumper)
Install: $70-100 p/hr

Look to pay up to $6000 for this at any ol shop, but if you have rims/tires, and a good apint shop that will do the install you could get all it done for about 3-4G's... Now this is not to scare you off... I am a student in school and work full time as well, and about to get my first home. This is a build for me, and will take me about one year to get all that i need done. I am purchacing these at the lowest price i can find, and it is WELL WORTH IT, JUST LOOK AT THOSE PICS BABY!! I will be ready for next years shows FO SHOW!!!! I am serious about shopping around for great prices and reputible shops, go hang out at one you like and see what they do. I can get both of my bumpers (CF-ver) painted for like 2-400 no problem, and installed for about that same price. The CF version is the WAY to GO... LESS TO PAINT, and is very well made that i have seen. It is not like regular CF you see out there, this is HIGH QUALITY stuff..

My only problem is choising my rims... lol... Right now i had to go back to my original plan and get the Racing Hart's like they have but in Black.. But i change my mind like i change my sitting position while sitting in front of a computer, which is quite often...

sorry so long, but i wanted to make sure you understand what you are getting into. I am sure AIT would want anyone to be honest about thier product as they stand behind its superb quality. From what i understand the install is really easy, and very well made for our ride, for a perfect fit. I have seen otehr WBK that have serious problems with rubbing and non-conforming parts, but from talking to those that actually have this kit, they say its pretty much as perfect as you can get.

I am at NO MEANS a REP for AIT, and i will let them speak for themselves, nor are they my sponser (even though i wish it). I get my data/info from emails and taling with those who have actually seen/touched/or installed this kit themselves. That includes conversations and emails FROM AIT itself. they are welcome to correct me at any time if i step out of line, but i do believe my info is sound.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member

damn. thanks thats the most info ive gotten. yeah i got major hookups for myself for body work and painting. my cousin owns a customs shop and his girl does paint jobs. and my dad was a master ase(?) certified tech. but yeah i just didnt knw what i was getting into. thanks again i appriciate(?) it.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Scion X

I'd like to see how many people would be seriously intrested in purchase the AIT K1 WBK?

Either fiberglass or CF please be specific what you would buy?

Thanks
Patrick