Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Window tint error?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Window tint error?

I was talking about this in another thread but didnt want to high jack it so just wanted to point out maybe an error on the peopel who tinted my car. I see a white outline around the back window and when it was tinted it seemed as if some parts of the white didnt stick on or got air and it looks really bad. I took it back like 2 weeks later and they said it was normal because of these new cars that have that outline. I also spoke with some other tinters and they said the same thing.

I used red_line_tc's as a pic to help show you guys if there is any problem with me using thjis pic let me know.

Where the white circle is.. some of it shows and some of it doesnt so it looks like a really bad broken chain.

Pic,
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1561/window3me.jpg
Old 07-08-2006, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great Illustration job on the picture there...lol...Just Mess'in!...Thats why I dont tint my windows due to weird things happening...
Old 07-08-2006, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bottom line, if they are a good tinter you won't have that. i have my windows tinted very dark and there is no place that is not completely covered except on the back window where the ridges from the defroster are (they are hard to get perfect).
Old 07-08-2006, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its normal.. look at all the tint threads..
Old 07-08-2006, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see, with my car, some parts of the border you could see and some you cant. I have darkest legal which is 28 percent I believe. I thought it was just me, o well. I'll live with it. Thanks guys.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That's the same thing I asked when I got my windows tinted. Apparently it will eventually have the entire border visible or after about two weeks the guy who tinted mine said you can rub the border to make it show up. You just kind of have to live it...it definitely doens't look that cool tho...
Old 07-08-2006, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

ya its normal. if you look at that part of the glass you'll notice the black dots on it, that is what keeps the tint from making contact with the glass.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My tint had the same line, and was REALLY PRONOUNCED for the first week or so I had the tint on. Then the air bubbles just seemed to disappear.

I had mine done at a local shop. Really really nice job. If it bothers you that much, take it to another tint shop for a second opinion.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, I'll probably head around the corner to dream sound who also does tinting.. because the passenger side tint seems to be getting smaller and it noticable from the outside in.. Im really dissapointed where I got my tints.. =(
Old 07-08-2006, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Before the guy tinted my car, he told me that there would be that border around the back and rear windows. He said it's because of those little dots around the edge of the glass that come with the car. He said that it's annoying, but there isn't really anything he could do about it. I'm just glad he warned me about it before I got it done. I probably would have posted about it like you did.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: Window tint error?

Originally Posted by _-Dark-_-Scion-_
I was talking about this in another thread but didnt want to high jack it so just wanted to point out maybe an error on the peopel who tinted my car. I see a white outline around the back window and when it was tinted it seemed as if some parts of the white didnt stick on or got air and it looks really bad. I took it back like 2 weeks later and they said it was normal because of these new cars that have that outline. I also spoke with some other tinters and they said the same thing.

I used red_line_tc's as a pic to help show you guys if there is any problem with me using thjis pic let me know.

Where the white circle is.. some of it shows and some of it doesnt so it looks like a really bad broken chain.

Pic,
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1561/window3me.jpg
actually buddy its RedLine_tC :D
but ya that little white line around the window will kinda disappear from far away but u will see it up close....and that is 10%....

o ya thanks for using my car :D feel kinda special
Old 07-08-2006, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this reminds me i have to go back to my tint guy to get something fixe.d
Old 07-09-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

mine has the same thing ... didn't bother me so I never thought much of it.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member

Im a tinter in arlington, tx. That white border is normal. I tinted both of my tC's and i got it on both. You see the white border because of the tint not being able to adhere to the ceramic (the black part on the inside of the glass). If you notice the top portion to the big back windows to older mustang, before the new body style, that same white is even more profound. Thats because in some cars the ceramic is thicker than others. I try to minimize it by basically melting the film to those portions as best i could. Even still, it wont stick entirely.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member

ive been doing it for six years and have worked on everything from domestics, imports, and exotics and there is not one job that goes completely perfect. The only times that i have seen tint stick without white lines, is with the use of cheap cheap film...the stuff that looks purple after a while. With the lifetime warranty film that i use, it does not stick due to the high metalization in the film.