Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

*INSTALLED 7/23/6* Shifting Tri-Fecta

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default *INSTALLED 7/23/6* Shifting Tri-Fecta

So today i finally was able to block out a few hours to get these three things done:
part 1: Brass shifter cable bushings from corsportusa.com
part 2: B&M short throw Shifter.
part 3: Redline MT 90 synthetic gear oil.

- 1 - I installed the brass shifter cable bushings... I got my digi camera out to start getting pics for a 'how to' (i really was going to write one...) - but seriously, there is just no point to writing a DIY for these bushings. i was done before i even thought about taking pictures. A how to really would not be any more beneficial than the instructions sent with the bushings. "Remove codder pin, take out old bushing, put in new bushing, secure with e-clip, attach with codder pin" - Those are seriously the steps. I did have to use some WD-40 on one of the bushings because it was kind of corroded. Literally took me 15 mins.

(Test Drive) - With only the shifter cable bushings installed, the shifter feel changed pretty drastically. Not really with movement of the shifter, but getting it into gear. It goes into gear much tighter, and kind of 'slams' into gear. You don't feel like you hit mush... you definitely KNOW your shifter went into gear. It felt alot more 'nuts and bolts' than I expected... Which at first i wasnt sure i liked. But after a few runs through the gears, i absolutely love it.

- 2 - B&M Short Shifter Install... Using the DIY on this site (for the TWM), i installed this shifter in about 1 hour. B&M Shipped with 4 replacement shifter base bushings, as well as a tube of lube... I used the bushings, so the B&M is pretty much stock height - and i applied the lube pretty liberally.

(Test Drive) - The combination of the shifter and the shifter cable bushings was a pretty drastic difference. The throws are nice and short, and combined with the brass bushings the shifter really slams into gear. Overall a pretty good feel.. Although not so much what i had expected (more on this later...)

- 3 - Redline MT 90 trans. oil change... Drained the gross old tranny fluid and put in some Redline MT90 synthetic (used the DIY on this site... very very helpful.) Overall was not too difficult, but i would recommend waiting for the car to 'cool' before draining the fluid. It was hot, gross, and smelled pretty bad. The new stuff was gold, looked like honey. I almost wanted to eat some of it. Our manual says "2.6 qts"so i pretty much eyeballed a little over 2 and a half... i figure it doesnt need to be EXACT... i might have 2.7 in there. Tightened everything down, lowered back down... and all set. (BTW, always use jack stands. I had my car up with a jack stand under both driver and passenger side. )

*Test Drive/Final Verdict* - This triple mod today drastically changed how my shifter feels and acts. Its much tighter, and much more connected with the transmission. It was a little different than i had expected, as i had expected tighter shifts and shorter throws... The "slam" into gear was a little surprising - it feels like your shifter hits harder. Its actually probably less comfortable, because you feel the impact of the transmission going into gear... I was kind of expecting more of a "luxury feel" (meaning tight, with a comfortable -yet-forceful entry into gear) - and I would call this a more 'nuts and bolts' or "race inspired" feel. (yes, i am aware our cars are not race cars.). Although this is not what i was expecting - i do absolutely love it. I wish i would have done these mods before any other, and am very very happy overall with the shifting response. It drastically increases the fun-to-drive factor of the tC, I found myself shifting even when it wasn't really necessary...

*7/28 Edit...*
Ive had a thought, now that i've had these three mods for like a week.

I think that polyurethane shifter cable bushings would be awesome.

The brass shifter cable bushings provide a solid, "nuts and bolts", notchy, race inspired kind of feel. (enough adjectives? heh). I do love that feel, and is much much better than stock..

However, I think polyurethane bushings would be a more 'luxury' feel. firm, solid, yet smooth and fast.

Just a thought. If anybody ever made polyurethane shifter cable bushings, i would try them. :-)

Once again - sorry to anybody that thought this was a Clutch/Flywheel/LSD thread.

***================INITIAL POST===================***
I'm posting this for two reasons
1. i am excited!
2. I havent seen a post like this so hopefully it will end up being informative and stimulating.

Basically, I am going for a manual transmission Tri-Fecta of mods this coming weekend. I've ordered all necessary components, and most of them have been delivered. I can't wait to do this, and have very high expectations. I hope to get some great results in the shifting feel and overall 'fun to drive factor' to increase quite a bit.

Tri-Fecta part 1: B&M short throw Shifter.
Tri-Fecta part 2: Brass shifter cable bushings from corsportusa.com
Tri-Fecta part 3: Redline MT 90 synthetic gear oil.

I plan on installing all three of these beautiful things in my car on the same day!
When done, i'll give a full review - as previously stated i have VERY high expectations for this triad of mods to produce some fantastic results. If anybody wants a DIY for the bushings, let me know and i'll get some pics and write one up. I know they're easy - but it might help somebody out sometime.

I'll have more info into the weekend!!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Man, i was thinking to open this and see flywheel, clutch (any stage), and clutch lines...
I'm just kidding, Congrats man, nothing is better than having fun upgrading ur car
Old 07-20-2006, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Do the How to just for the fun of it.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

take lots and lots of pictures, and make sure you have a replacement for the ring on the bottom of the shifter arm because you'll most likely need to dremel that thing off of there.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well I have the B&M Short shifter and the brass cable bushings. The bushing are a 10 minute job...most of which for me was removing the supercharger intake box and piping so I could get to the shift linkage. The B&M shifter is cake as well. Not sure what ring Otocan is talking about, but I had no problems getting anything off for that. As for the fluid. I dunno. The shifting feel is definitely improved, but I dont know about HIGH expectations.

I was also expecting the LSD, Clutch, Flywheel trifecta when I read the title of this post.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol.. sorry - not trying to get everyones hopes up.
i should change to "shifting Tri-fecta" instead of transmission tri-fecta.

I know its baby steps but i'm pretty excited! I've heard good things about all three of these mods even when done by themselves - so doing all three i figure will be awesome.

LSD/clutch/Flywheel upgrades = after F.I.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Otocan
take lots and lots of pictures, and make sure you have a replacement for the ring on the bottom of the shifter arm because you'll most likely need to dremel that thing off of there.
Yes, plz clarify this Otocan... Ive read and researched all the DIY's for short shifter install and nobody mentioned carrying a spare anything.

:-) Thanks in advance man.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

<-- didnt need to cut anything off mine when I did the B&M short shifter.. Took about a hour to do if that. I think I am going to do the cable bushings next.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump for update... see post #1
Old 07-24-2006, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great thread dude. And I would have to agree with you, that "notchy racecar feel" is really fun and gets addictive
Old 07-24-2006, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Good work in the post, congrats!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey vanberge....you are vanberge. i am excited to take a ride in your car. watching what you have done with your auto makes me want to get a new auto all the time. sadly i need a new position before that can happen...gg! :-)
Old 07-25-2006, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh ____ vanberge....i thought i was logged in as me...apparently you used my laptop to use scionlife...whoops don't hate m :-[
Old 07-25-2006, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ wpe
Old 07-25-2006, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Do they sell Redline at autozone? Think im going to do a tranny fluid change next week if I have time.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I looked at autozone, they did not have any.

I ordered mine from summitracing.com. and they even sent me a free hat!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 07-25-2006, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Now do the "Clutch Stop Mod" in the DIY's. Doing that little mod made a huge change in the feel of my clutch. Cheap and easy to do and it gets rid of the wasted clutch movement after it disengages.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

notice anything from the oil?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
notice anything from the oil?
Yes... not a huge difference wiht a short shifter and brass bushings, but is easier to get into first/reverse on the first try - and is a lil smoother overall.

I would definitely say its worth the 25 bucks and 20-30 minutes of time.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive had a thought, now that i've had these three mods for like a week.

I think that polyurethane shifter cable bushings would be awesome.

The brass shifter cable bushings provide a solid, "nuts and bolts", notchy, race inspired kind of feel. (enough adjectives? heh).

I think polyurethane would be a more 'luxury' feel. firm, solid, yet smooth and fast.
Just a thought. If anybody ever made polyurethane shifter cable bushings, i would try them. :-)

Quick Reply: *INSTALLED 7/23/6* Shifting Tri-Fecta