Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

06 tC Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:38 PM

Default 06 tC Crank No Start

2006 tC 194k miles, manual trans.

I've had the car a year now and put 50k miles on it so far. I drive alot for work. Haven't had any issues, it has been great other than the oil consumption but I just keep it topped off.

Last Monday on my lunch break it cranked no start. Took about 10 tries and it fired up and had the CEL on.
Next day the exact same thing at the exact same time so I took it to Toyota and the tech literally hooked it up, read the codes and said it needs a timing chain. I can't remember what the codes were, I think one was for Cam timing A or something.

I'm not convinced it's the chain. The crank no start happened again today after lunch this time. I got out and tapped the side of the block with a ratchet in the area of the crank sensor and it fired right up. Almost positive it's the crank sensor.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2017, 06:47 PM
SL Member

If your crank sensor doesnt send signal, then the ecu will not activate c/opn and power the fuel pump. You should be able to find the fuel system diagram and follow its path. This motor requires a CAS signal to tell the ecu that the motor is running or else shut off the fuel supply. Thats my .02...