Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

06 tC running rich

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 AM

Question 06 tC running rich

I have a 06 tC with a check engine light that reads runnig rich bank 1 i have changed bank 1 and bank 2 senors as well as the MAF but still get running rich engine light I do have a AEM cold air on my car. Does anyone have any other things it could be? Also I was told by a O'riley's worker that it could be a problem in the fuel rail or injectors is there anyway to check the injectors or fuel rail with out taking them apart?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't think its the fuel rail, it sandwiches the injectors and acts as a manifold for fuel. Maybe it clogged, and if it clogged you sure as hell would not be running rich.

Was the light on before you installed the intake?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM

No it wasn't could it be a injector not closing all the way?

Last edited by Bradlcs; 02-13-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

have you tried putting the stock intake back on and seeing if that fixes it.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:50 AM

Sadly I can't do that because I don't have the stock intake to test this.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

if it isn't anything else you've already replaced then it is probably the intake.
have you checked to see that it is installed correctly and that there are no leaks.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 AM

i checked to see if there was any leaks when i put it on but ill check again tomorrow. Could it be a ECU problem?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

it wouldn't be my first guess. you could pull the ecu fuse or disconnect the battery for several minutes and then see if it resets and fixes it, but that won't guarantee you won't have the issue come back.

as you said, there wasn't a problem before the intake. so the best guess would be that the intake is the problem, resetting the ecu will only hide the issue for a short time.
there were early intakes for the tC that weren't sized properly and cause problems like this.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:58 AM
SL Member

Silly question here, but did you reset the CEL when you changed out the parts?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Esh Darkstar
Silly question here, but did you reset the CEL when you changed out the parts?
Yea the problem came back about 2 hours later. :/
Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
it wouldn't be my first guess. you could pull the ecu fuse or disconnect the battery for several minutes and then see if it resets and fixes it, but that won't guarantee you won't have the issue come back.

as you said, there wasn't a problem before the intake. so the best guess would be that the intake is the problem, resetting the ecu will only hide the issue for a short time.
there were early intakes for the tC that weren't sized properly and cause problems like this.
Do you know what those were? I have AEM 2-568p.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine did this for a few months now, ha my intake for 5+ yrs too. but that means your MAF sensor is going out. had the same code as you, eventually with time your car will start going in "limp mode" and get annoying.

look into a new MAF sensor (stay with denso) but for now leave ur battery unplugged for 15 mins. then let the car learn its ecu again.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by gmc_113
mine did this for a few months now, ha my intake for 5+ yrs too. but that means your MAF sensor is going out. had the same code as you, eventually with time your car will start going in "limp mode" and get annoying.

look into a new MAF sensor (stay with denso) but for now leave ur battery unplugged for 15 mins. then let the car learn its ecu again.
Already changed the MAF and the A/F sensor on the headers.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when you were installing the new MAF was the battery disconnected?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:35 PM

when you were installing the new MAF was the battery disconnected?
No,should it of been? That's probably a dumb question but ill ask it anyway.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well ive done two differet MAF sensors. one failed on me snd didnt even take the code off (noticed the battery was still hooked) so when i installed my last one i left the battery unplugged and installed it and no more CEL
Old 02-15-2012, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Did you get the correct intake? The 07+ intake will not work correctly on the 05-06 models. I believe people are still able to bolt them up but the MAF fitment will not be correct and will cause issues. I have not compared the two side by side to see if it would still bolt up but I believe it will, and I know for sure it will not have proper readings if it does bolt up.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That does not necessarilly tell you the maf is going out. There are multiple reasons the system could be running rich, with the maf being just one of them. If a sensor self check code for a particular sensor is set, that points more at the sensor, but even then you should do some real troubleshooting to make sure it is the sensor rather than the circuit.

There is only one bank on an inline motor, so you should have bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2 for the O2 codes.

Beyond the model intake I mentioned in my last post, has any actual troubleshooting been done? For example, actually reading primary 02 voltage levels while running to see what the actual reading is? Pulling a vacuum line while watching O2readings to see if it makes it go lean on the reading to see if the O2 sensor is responding properly, etc?

I tend to stay away from the typical parts swapping technique of repair, since it almost always costs way more money and many times still never fixes anything. I do realize that some dont have the tools to perform some of the tests, but in that case a good private mechanic ( not the dealer who can very likely take the parts swapper approach) would have been cheaper than he parts you are throwing at it.

Also, be cery certain you are not touching the sensor element in the MAF with anything, even while cleaning it.

And if you are running an oiled filter be very sure you didnt over oil it, which will foul the MAF. If it is a short ram, dont run an oiled filter.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Did you get the correct intake? The 07+ intake will not work correctly on the 05-06 models. I believe people are still able to bolt them up but the MAF fitment will not be correct and will cause issues. I have not compared the two side by side to see if it would still bolt up but I believe it will, and I know for sure it will not have proper readings if it does bolt up.
Ok I check my part numbers to the AEM website I do have the correct CAI and there is no leak in the fittings. Thanks for the tip up light is still on.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM

No o2 trouble shooting has been done nor do I know how to trouble shoot that. what would be the first step in that?

Quick Reply: 06 tC running rich