Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

07 tC spun rod bearing. Need new engine or sell car

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:43 PM

Default 07 tC spun rod bearing. Need new engine or sell car

Hi guys... Basically, my 07 tC just started knocking a few days ago and when I popped open the hood to check the oil (that I just had changed 4000 miles ago) it was about EMPTY. Took it to a Toyota dealership and they told me there's a spun rod bearing, which leaves me with the option of getting another engine or selling the car. Now, I've been reading that the 2AZ-FE engines in our cars have oil consumption problems, so I'm gonna go ahead and call Toyota HQ and see if they can do something about it... Because basically my car broke because it was low on oil, and consequently, the bearing was taking too much heat and got spun and that's Toyota's fault for making a lemon engine.

My question to you guys is how much can I sell my car for so that I can at least buy a motorcycle? Or should I attempt to buy another engine? The car is mint and I even put in a brand new clutch so it's really sad to see this happen...

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might be able to just replace the crank and rods that are damaged. It would be cheaper than a new engine. Also if the crank or rods are not to damged you might be lucky and be able to just replace the bearings. This is what one of my friends did after he spun a bearing and he's been driving the car for about 60k miles maybe he just got lucky. Most people are going to tell you that you can't just replace the bearing but if it didn't do to much damaged that's not always the case. As for Toyota they are not going to do anything for you I can tell you that right now before you waste time talking to them. Yes the engine does burn oil but they are not lemons I think they are pretty good engines. Also if you are planning on parting out the car I might be interested in the engine for the right price. You have to think about all the options and decide what is going to be best for you. Hope this helps.