Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2005 water pump issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 03:29 AM

Default 2005 water pump issues?

Hi there,

I just bought a 2005 Scion tC with 147k on the clock. It doesn’t appear to have ever had the water pump replaced. Is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-28-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: moved to Correct Forum by Moderator
Old 11-27-2017, 02:52 AM
Banned
SL Member

This is a joke, yes? Water pumps failed on cars 20 years ago. i had one fail on a 1982 Mercury Monarch. Left me stranded. Now we have facebook to protect us from this kind of un-american folly.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:10 AM
Banned
SL Member

Sorry about being flippant. With our 09, the only thing we watch is oil burn. I don't think you have that to worry about on the 05.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by samatman
Sorry about being flippant. With our 09, the only thing we watch is oil burn. I don't think you have that to worry about on the 05.
Haha - no worries. I have read on some forums about water pump failure on these engines. Some were in tC’s and others were in Camrys. Just thought I’d check!
Old 11-27-2017, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, some Toyotas do have water pump issues. It is typically bearing failure that leads to leaks. I recently had to change the water pump on my wife's 2008 Rav4 as the bearing were beginning to grind. This was a common issue on the 2GRFE V6 engine.

My tC on the other hand has been going strong. In any case, when it comes to water pumps, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 PM
SL Member

If you do replace it, go with the Aisin brand (OEM) and get a OEM gasket. I've done the one in my Tacoma 2.7 three times and dont even remove the alternator. I'm down to 2.5 hours - turn key ready.

If (and even if there is a little) weeping fluid at the hole on the under side of the pump, that could be "normal" and if the bearing felt smooth, then wait and watch for significant dripping or loss in the overflow.
Some of them last 70k, others last 150k but I've always thought the Toyota pumps were hit or miss. I've had a Solara (given to family now) thats past 160k on the original, but my neighbor's Camry had 3 or 4 done by 296k,

It looks like a really fun spot on this car :/

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-30-2017 at 12:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by udelslayer
If you do replace it, go with the Aisin brand (OEM) and get a OEM gasket. I've done the one in my Tacoma 2.7 three times and dont even remove the alternator. I'm down to 2.5 hours - turn key ready.

If (and even if there is a little) weeping fluid at the hole on the under side of the pump, that could be "normal" and if the bearing felt smooth, then wait and watch for significant dripping or loss in the overflow.
Some of them last 70k, others last 150k but I've always thought the Toyota pumps were hit or miss. I've had a Solara (given to family now) thats past 160k on the original, but my neighbor's Camry had 3 or 4 done by 296k,

It looks like a really fun spot on this car :/
That was sort of my understanding - sometimes they fail, other times they don’t. I’ll take a look at the weep hole this weekend. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spencertimm
That was sort of my understanding - sometimes they fail, other times they don’t. I’ll take a look at the weep hole this weekend. Thanks!
yup Toyota changed the design around 2009, the bearing for the impeller shaft was open and coolant would corrode it. Not good. If you do find that white crusty (looks like ice/salt) from the weep hole, obviously it means the water pump is failing. But.. Go with the Toyota part.. Why? Because the aftermarket may have not copied the updated part. They usually just stick with the first design and don't follow the updates.

I know I sound like a commercial for Toyota but when you screw around with aftermarket parts you realize why Toyota is more money.. it's better stuff!