Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2006 Scion tC - 450 miles, 5-speed transmission concern

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude, those damn techs can never "duplicate the problem" or its always "within spec"... Unless the thing has a major problem they are not fixing it...
Old 05-04-2006, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

will the redline replacement effect your warranty on the transmission?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, can anyone confirm this? I am wondering my self if switching to synth will void the warranty... But that make no sense though if the fluid is the same viscosity...
Old 05-04-2006, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was informed by 2 of the other techs at my dealership that at their last toyota/scion dealer a transmission claim was denied because the person used a different fluid than toyota's manual trans fluid. Will it happen in every case I could not say. I am just going off of what they told me.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06scionsc
I was informed by 2 of the other techs at my dealership that at their last toyota/scion dealer a transmission claim was denied because the person used a different fluid than toyota's manual trans fluid. Will it happen in every case I could not say. I am just going off of what they told me.
if you have trouble with your tranny and your running non-toyota fluid, why wouldn't you just drain and refill with toyota certified fluid? would they really be able to tell the difference?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you were having a tranny issue and changed the fluid then took it in, more than likely we would know. The fluid would be brand new and therefore look new. You would have to change the fluid back and drive around for a while so the fluid becomes used and dirty. In other words if you want to change your tranny fluid to something else not toyota recommended than by all means do so. However keep in mind it is the same as modifying your car with a new cold air intake, don't expect your engine to get replaced if you suck water. when you modify your car in anyway you run the risk of not having a related issue covered by warranty.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They would have to "prove" the fluid caused the tansmission problem, which is a "stretch".

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure what ever fluid you use, it meets or exceeds all the fluid properties/guildlines outlined in the owners manual.

How often do you hear folks whw do their own oil changes:
"My warranty was voided on my engine because I didn't use manf. oil"

On many new cars they require Mobil 1 (corvettes for example). My point is, it is not like Toyota has their own brand of oil and transmisson fluid, they buy from a supplier just like we do.

Paul G.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry that everyone seems to not like what I have to say, however all I have offered is the information given to me by 2 other Toyota technicians from my dealership. I am not saying they are right or wrong, or that their word is final. All I offered is information.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:38 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Dude, those damn techs can never "duplicate the problem" or its always "within spec"... Unless the thing has a major problem they are not fixing it...
This is the MOST accurate post I've seen on the forums yet! Whenever it seems like there may be a complicated or more in-depth problem/issue with my car, its always, "They weren't able to duplicate" or "no problem found"...Like when my clutch pedal squeaked like a 600 lb. mouse.

I really think its cuz the tc (and scions in general) are so new..the techs have just about as much clue (if not less) than we do. And they also all seem to be born with the notion that all toyota's are PErfect, and nothing could possibly go wrong with my scion, cuz its a toyota. YAh rite!
Old 05-05-2006, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Sciontist
This is the MOST accurate post I've seen on the forums yet! Whenever it seems like there may be a complicated or more in-depth problem/issue with my car, its always, "They weren't able to duplicate" or "no problem found"...Like when my clutch pedal squeaked like a 600 lb. mouse.

I really think its cuz the tc (and scions in general) are so new..the techs have just about as much clue (if not less) than we do. And they also all seem to be born with the notion that all toyota's are PErfect, and nothing could possibly go wrong with my scion, cuz its a toyota. YAh rite!
......scions are perfect! cough cough
Old 05-05-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry that everyone seems to not like what I have to say, however all I have offered is the information given to me by 2 other Toyota technicians from my dealership. I am not saying they are right or wrong, or that their word is final. All I offered is information.
I hope you didn't think I was disagreeing with you, cause I wasn't. Just offering up what my understanding is on how warranties work, and what sort of fluids the dealers have access too.

Paul G.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you were having a tranny issue and changed the fluid then took it in, more than likely we would know. The fluid would be brand new and therefore look new. You would have to change the fluid back and drive around for a while so the fluid becomes used and dirty. In other words if you want to change your tranny fluid to something else not toyota recommended than by all means do so. However keep in mind it is the same as modifying your car with a new cold air intake, don't expect your engine to get replaced if you suck water. when you modify your car in anyway you run the risk of not having a related issue covered by warranty.
so, if you change your tranny fluid...keep the old stuff...so if you have a tranny problem, you can put that back in.

whoops, i shouldn't say that
Old 09-16-2006, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[b]Update 9/16/06:

Well, car has 10K miles on it now. I've brought it to the dealer at 5K miles and had them check it out:

1. Transmission shifts normal

Brought it back at 10K miles and left it over night so they could check it out when cold:
1. Transmission shifts normal

I don't think this issue is nearly as bad as when I first got th car and started this post. I still don't think it is right, but what I do now is just drive the car in 2nd gear (skip the 1st to 2nd gear shift) until the car warms up.

At least it is all documented if things ever do get worse.

Paul G.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've started double clutching when i'm downshifting or experiencing the infamous 2nd gear block. Haven't had a problem since. Actually, the only problem I ever really did have was not being able to get back into first at a red light turned green.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I don't have issues with downshifting, just putting the car in 2nd gear first thing in the morning when the car is moving.

To avoid the issue now, I just drive the car in 2nd gear (don't use first) until the car is warmed up to temp. and driving a few miles. Seems fine otherwise.

Paul G.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

hmm,i commute and drive every morning, and its decently cold (for CA, haha) and i rarely have the 2nd gear problem....maybe people are driving a little too aggresively fisrt thing in the morning, or learn how to shift to where you can put the clutch to the ground, and let it up at that catch point every time while slightly gassing....if you do that, and are very deliberate and slow about it, you should have no clunkiness....i have the stage 2 twm, with the weighted ****, it really smooths everything and you never miss a shift or have difficulty getting into any gear....
Old 10-15-2006, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

paultq you are burning up your clutch if you start moving in second instead of first... don't think it's necessary, just drive normal till it warms up...
Old 10-16-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

paultq you are burning up your clutch if you start moving in second instead of first... don't think it's necessary, just drive normal till it warms up...
The clutch is fine. The car has plenty of torque to start rolling in 2nd gear. The clutch doesnt slip, doesn't smell, or anything. I wouldn't do it if I thought it was hurting anything.

Paul G.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find second a little tougher to get into in the morning, but I find things warm up nicely if you just shift normally, and don't rev the engine a lot. My engine and transmission is usually ready to go with the 2-3 minutes (if that) it takes to get out of my neighborhood. It's 100% after probably about 10-15 minutes, but I still don't redline it or anything.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anybody tried a fluid change yet? Iv'e had my car now for about 2 months and i have noticed this same 1st to 2nd gear crunch getting worse with the temps getting colder. From my experiance with my old ford focus and many tranny problems that it had, by switching to a thinner synthetic fluid helped it out alot. I was told by a tranny tech on focaljet to use GM Syncromesh witch is a thinner synthetic fluid and is used from the factory in all the corvettes.
Also i would like to add, is i had alot of tranny problems in the ford and i had this GM fluid in it and they never said anything about differant fluid. The only way they would ever know of a fluid change would be if the fluid was a differant color or if they sent out the fluid and had it annalized somewhere in which i don't think they would take the time.
I am gonna do the fluid change, not sure witch brand yet i'm gonna go with but i will keep you guys posted with results. Maybe this week or weekend, cause i can't stand this issue anymore and i'm tierd of wasting time at dealerships to have them say its shifting fine or thats the way it is suppose to shift.

Quick Reply: 2006 Scion tC - 450 miles, 5-speed transmission concern