Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2007 tC Engine Replacement Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:26 PM

Question 2007 tC Engine Replacement Options

Good morning,

I am new to the forum, but I know that this is the right place to come for help. I have a 2007 Scion tC with an automatic transmission. A few months ago, while driving, it made the sound of rocks going through a blender from the engine compartment before I experienced a complete loss of power.

I have towed it to 3 different shops to get opinions on if they can fix it, but they all said that they would be unable to repair it at a reasonable price because there is so much damage. They recommended a replacement engine, but only offer used tC engines from local junkyards.

I would like to know if any other engines in the Toyota family (or elsewhere) are compatible with my vehicle. I would be having a professional shop do the swap for me so it's ok if there are some minor modifications that would have to be done to accommodate.

I have tried to look for a thread that would answer my question for the last hour before creating a new one. I also know next to nothing about cars. If anybody could help me and dumb it down a little, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well your engine is the 2azfe. Found in our car, I think some camrys and corollas and the XB. They're probably speaking the truth if you don't know someone to do the work cheap. You could pull the whole engine and find a million different things wrong. Bent valves. ____ed up cylinder walls. Tore up pistons. Damage to the head. It can get incredibly expensive.

Look up the 2azfe engine. As far as I know a 2azfe from another car should drop right in.

Anyone else chime in? Did any other cars have different variants of the 2az that would cause problems?
Old 02-23-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Erager09
Well your engine is the 2azfe. Found in our car, I think some camrys and corollas and the XB. They're probably speaking the truth if you don't know someone to do the work cheap. You could pull the whole engine and find a million different things wrong. Bent valves. ____ed up cylinder walls. Tore up pistons. Damage to the head. It can get incredibly expensive.

Look up the 2azfe engine. As far as I know a 2azfe from another car should drop right in.

Anyone else chime in? Did any other cars have different variants of the 2az that would cause problems?
Thank you for the help. At least I have a starting point now. Do you know what type of things I would have to look for? Somebody told me that the engine mounts have to match up or something? If they're all the 2azfe, will they be the same? Thank you for your help!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep mounting brackets from your car. Get 2007 up motor, as it's got oil squirters, higher compression, different cam, headbolt length was redone, etc.. Has about 10hp more, since those changes got made for new hp measures. Change ECU also, since 07 was only year with annoying fuel cut. Paperclip to program.