Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

201Whp N/A Update **BC Cams Installed**

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 PM

Why do aren't you using an engine management system?
Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by jimmyjun
yeah man, me too those tq numbers are getting on my nerves. i think is because of the 2.5 exhaust and lightweight flywheel and no balance shafts. before changing the exhaust and adding the lsd i had 195 and 186, now is 201 and 175.
still has more tq then a honda at that power. rsx type-s was 201 and 130tq iirc
Old 02-01-2011, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by InJaPaNdUh
BORICUA PRIDE!
you know how it is!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by noobslayerxxx
Why do aren't you using an engine management system?
well, for me a very good engine management for the tc is AEM, HYDRA, or DEZOD's Allan Phillips ecu, other than that everything is pretty much crap. all of them cost from 1,500 - 2,000 wich is to much money for me at this moment, i just got married about a month ago and im out of a job.

p.s
aem's fic is great, but only works good for turbo cars, not to good on n/a engines since you have to add timing to n/a cars to get everything out of it, and thats not possible with the fic. it only retards timing....
Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What would be a good engine management for N/A?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DMC0585
What would be a good engine management for N/A?

like i told you on the earlier post, aem ems or dezods allan phillips ecu
Old 02-01-2011, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, for me a very good engine management for the tc is AEM, HYDRA, or DEZOD's Allan Phillips ecu, other than that everything is pretty much crap. all of them cost from 1,500 - 2,000 wich is to much money for me at this moment, i just got married about a month ago and im out of a job.

p.s
aem's fic is great, but only works good for turbo cars, not to good on n/a engines since you have to add timing to n/a cars to get everything out of it, and thats not possible with the fic. it only retards timing....
im working on a timing advancement fix for the fic with a friend. im trying to see if i switch over from the MS back to the fic. if it works out ill lyk. its been a pita.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
im working on a timing advancement fix for the fic with a friend. im trying to see if i switch over from the MS back to the fic. if it works out ill lyk. its been a pita.

mad props on that pete, it would be great if you guys can achieve it. MS is a nice ems for the money. does the fic control rev limit and vvt timing???????

i know it retards timing and controls a/f mixture,....
Old 02-02-2011, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Impressive work here! will u be going turbo in the future?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by allenxtc
Impressive work here! will u be going turbo in the future?

i know that pete has or had plans to go turbo, for me NEVER. i like to get power the hard way........
Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

have you seen this jimmy?
http://www.aemelectronics.com/ems-4-...nt-system-1216
Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mad props on that pete, it would be great if you guys can achieve it. MS is a nice ems for the money. does the fic control rev limit and vvt timing???????

i know it retards timing and controls a/f mixture,....
rev limit - no. vvt timing - only the standard retarding. we are trying to see if we can work around the retarding system by changing the voltage numbers it reads for a particular part of the tuning system to trick the fic to advance the timing. in essence just letting the "fake" outputs we set to help advance but nothing yet. the fic is great for what is it and the money u pay. but its def. no full blown ems FTL lol. the MS was nice for a while but it has its quirks also. (major PITA).

i know that pete has or had plans to go turbo, for me NEVER. i like to get power the hard way........
for the moment thats on pause. ill stick to being NA and enjoying the liberty of not worrying so much about the car lol but maybe this year will be the year. baby steps i guess lol. im not buying any more sets of volks so no more wheel shopping. the ce28ns will stay and im just gona start from scratch. again.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, no problem. let us know if you make it work
Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unichip can advance timing and doesn't have any of the FIC's bugs and hiccups. They are now offering tuning software for $290. OTOH, it can't raise the rev limit or control VVT. A few XB2 guys are running it and like it a lot. Elwaylite had his N/A AT XB dyno tested before and after installing a PnP Unichip and gained as much as 15whp and 15 ft/lbs (5whp/10ft/lbs peak) with it. I'm not saying that Unichip is the way to go but IMO it's a better option than the FIC for a N/A build.

Thread link: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...hlight=unichip

Elwaylite's dyno results: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...ZTU0OTY0&hl=en

Last edited by ScionFred; 02-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Unichip can advance timing and doesn't have any of the FIC's bugs and hiccups. They are now offering tuning software for $290. OTOH, it can't raise the rev limit or control VVT. A few XB2 guys are running it and like it a lot. Elwaylite had his N/A AT XB dyno tested before and after installing a PnP Unichip and gained as much as 15whp and 15 ft/lbs (5whp/10ft/lbs peak) with it. I'm not saying that Unichip is the way to go but IMO it's a better option than the FIC for a N/A build.

Thread link: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...hlight=unichip

Elwaylite's dyno results:

i knew about unichip, but didnt like the idea of buying a piggyback that is pretuned, not alot of gain there since every car acts differently than others, the best way to get everything out of you motor is to have your car tuned in a local dyno by some kind of engine management that you can alter parameters on spot.

i didnt know they had a software for custom tuning for sale, now that changes everything!!!!!!!! ill see on to it, and thanks for letting us know
Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i knew about unichip, but didnt like the idea of buying a piggyback that is pretuned, not alot of gain there since every car acts differently than others, the best way to get everything out of you motor is to have your car tuned in a local dyno by some kind of engine management that you can alter parameters on spot.

i didnt know they had a software for custom tuning for sale, now that changes everything!!!!!!!! ill see on to it, and thanks for letting us know
You're welcome. I think the Unichip comes with a pretty good 93 octane tune for basic IHE mods but as you say, there is certainly more power to be had with a custom tune. I too had written Unichip off back when their tuning kit was $1000 but now that they offer the sw for $290, it makes it a much more viable option. To the best of my knowledge the Unichip has none of the FIC's problems with some crk/cam sensors, delayed engine starting, etc. They also offer on-line tuning support now. Good luck with the build, I like what you've done so far.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're welcome. I think the Unichip comes with a pretty good 93 octane tune for basic IHE mods but as you say, there is certainly more power to be had with a custom tune. I too had written Unichip off back when their tuning kit was $1000 but now that they offer the sw for $290, it makes it a much more viable option. To the best of my knowledge the Unichip has none of the FIC's problems with some crk/cam sensors, delayed engine starting, etc. They also offer on-line tuning support now. Good luck with the build, I like what you've done so far.

my next 2 mods are cams & springs/retainers...........
Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

are you going to do anything with the head orther then cams and springs? maybe larger valves or a PnP?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my next 2 mods are cams & springs/retainers...........
Cool, I hope you can dyno test with the cams. I'm curious to see what cams can do without any supporting head work.

Brian Crower?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Cool, I hope you can dyno test with the cams. I'm curious to see what cams can do without any supporting head work.
+1 on this. I also like to get power the hard way

Quick Reply: 201Whp N/A Update **BC Cams Installed**