Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ACT should give out a jar of vaseline with every clutch order(UPDATE)8/12

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ACT should give out a jar of vaseline with every clutch order(UPDATE)8/12

Well as some of you may know ive ben through hell and back with my tc. Recently i bought a act extreme clutch kit. I had it installed at a local shop and when they finished they said the car would not go into any gear and they believed it was defective. Well i made a post and asked people about it and everyone told me my shop didnt know what they were doing and dont know how to install a clutch ect. Including the place that sold me the kit. So i figured i would sell it and get a diff brand. For some reason i decided ill send it back to act for inspection... Soo i get a call from act saying the calibration was off and was not up to spec and they would fix it and send it back to. I told them i just paid $800 to have that clutch installed and id like to get reimbursed for it since it was their eror. They told me they dont warranty labor. Im like wtf! thats BS. So im expected to just pay another $800 now because of thier *** up.Just want to warn you guys to be carefull with this company. Im still debating to get a lawyer and try and get that $ back
Might just be too much of a pita.
Oh and in a fit of rage i sold my fidanza flywheel for a crackhead price to get extra $ to pay for more labor and now need to buy another one.

Last edited by BoostedBeastBox; 08-12-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

holy cow 800 bucks i might just try and do mines myself rather than pay that better to learn now so i want be paying crazy labor prices like that
Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its not hard ive done several just take your time
Old 07-09-2010, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

for that price, you could do it yourself in a couple hours and learn something new, and after your learn, you could profit from it, its simple, just dont forget the jackstands
Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

lawyers fees will be more than $800... sorry to hear that bud and $800 for clutch install is a rip off IMHO.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^amen shops around here does clutch installs for about 500 still to much for me ill be doing mines and learning so next time i can just knock it out in 2 hours
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06sciontcnda704
^amen shops around here does clutch installs for about 500 still to much for me ill be doing mines and learning so next time i can just knock it out in 2 hours
You'll NEVER knock it out in 2hrs. I don't care if its the 5th time you've done it on a tC. It's not a cake walk either, you need air tools capable of generating at least 150 ft/lb of torque, at least 2 floor jacks, and an impact socket to break loose the axle spindle bolt and pry bar. It's no walk in the park.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
You'll NEVER knock it out in 2hrs. I don't care if its the 5th time you've done it on a tC. It's not a cake walk either, you need air tools capable of generating at least 150 ft/lb of torque, at least 2 floor jacks, and an impact socket to break loose the axle spindle bolt and pry bar. It's no walk in the park.

I do em in about 3 hours.. No air tools.. ( electric impacts 4tw)

No jacks.. I use the engine hoist to hold motor =D

I never take the axles off, and am not sure why you do?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish i lived where you guys live cuz around here cheapest place said they would do it for $720. I called toyota up for ***** and giggles and they wanted $1100 so i thought $800 was a decent price. Btw i dont have the time or any equipment to do an install like this. All i have is a autozone rachet set. lol. and for anyone that thinks its an easy job i looked it up and its down to be a 6-8 hour job.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
I do em in about 3 hours.. No air tools.. ( electric impacts 4tw)

No jacks.. I use the engine hoist to hold motor =D

I never take the axles off, and am not sure why you do?
You've also worked at shop your entire life

According to a DIY on SL that I followed when I had the tC, dropping the sub frame and cross member as well as popping out the drivers side axle was done. It wasn't until afterwards that Pete told me it could've been wiggled out without doing that but I like the extra room.

My Makita electric impact nor my Snap-On impact were powerful enough to crack the bolts so air tools FTW!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Can you be more specific as to what exactly ACT said was wrong with the item?
Old 07-09-2010, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Id love to give you more info paul but thats all he said. "It wasnt up to spec" His name is ryan longmead. Maybe you can call him and help out one of your loyal customers After all they gave you a defective product to sell.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:24 PM

I did my clutch in 3 hours of course i had a lift and all the tools i needed but if you have a place to work on it you can save yourself $800 and get the experience.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

I'm surprised to hear this about ACT. I've had ACT clutches in 3 of my cars, and I've never had a single problem. Sorry to hear that things didn't go well for you.

Even for a trained mechanic, the clutch on a tC is not one of the easier ones to do. If I was in your situation, I wouldn't even attempt it. It's easy to screw up - especially if you don't have the proper tools. Luckily, ACT includes a clutch alignment tool with all their clutches - not all companies do.

FYI: I've never heard of any parts manufacturer/supplier that provided a warranty on labor. It may not be right, especially in your case, but it is the way of things. That aside, in every state that I'm aware of, an $800 lawsuit would go to small claims court, where no lawyers are allowed. It would just be you, the representative of the defendant, and the judge, and the loser normally pays all court costs. That being said, you may be required to take them to court in the state that the product was purchased from, rather than where you live. I'm not sure on that though. There are other options available to you, however. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) can put pressure on them to do what's right, and every state has an organization called the Consumer Protection Agency (CPA) that specializes in this sort of thing. The BBB and CPA both work for free. The CPA can also advise you and help you with legal action, if it comes to that. Unfortunately, both of these options can take months, if not years, to achieve a resolution.

Good luck! I hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^thank you for the advice, i guess im going to file a claim with them 1st and if that doesnt resolve things i guess ill have to go with one of the other options you suggested.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

All I know is I will not be buying an ACT clutch, I hear more bad things about them than good.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Blitz aren't you from CT ?
If you are call up Vinny and tell me Yev reffered you i'msure he'll do it for less then $800 and he'll do a great effing job, his people don't screw around they do it once do it right and if something is wrong and it's their fault they will fix/adjust it at no charge.

I'm running ACT HD street clutch and so far it's holding really well (knock on wood). Over 35 dyno runs while tuning does good on the street and so far it's holding more TQ then it's designed for. In my opinion it's a good bang for the buck. Ofcourse your cituation is frustrating and i understand it. I'm just throwing out my experience out there with ACT clutch. Let's just hope it's going to handle this coming up retune session for more psi.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlitzBlueBeast
Id love to give you more info paul but thats all he said. "It wasnt up to spec" His name is ryan longmead. Maybe you can call him and help out one of your loyal customers After all they gave you a defective product to sell.
I know Ryan over there. I sent him an email to see what's up.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlitzBlueBeast
^thank you for the advice, i guess im going to file a claim with them 1st and if that doesnt resolve things i guess ill have to go with one of the other options you suggested.
I simply tell the owner of the install shop that you are upset, and will work with him on costs being refunded from the other install and bring him the new one. He may work with you, he may not.

If he does not, then consider other options. Try to work with the fella first.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a shop at the high school i went to auto tech teacher told me anything i needed install he would do for free to show students. hes a ASE master tech w/ adv engine thingy lol or i could come in schedule a time and come back and use whatever i needed thank god i went all the way to level 3 auto tech in high school lol

Quick Reply: ACT should give out a jar of vaseline with every clutch order(UPDATE)8/12