Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

allmotor limits

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default allmotor limits

It seems like there are alot of people taking on the NA project here lately, before I jump in head first with my turbo build I wanted to get some feedback from the current allmotor TC owners.

My main question, Is 230-240whp completely out of the question for our cars when doing a NA build.
Im talking about full rebuild, high compression,cams /os valves custom, equal length header. rx8 tb swap just every little thing, if you get what im saying. I want to do something different from the norm of slapping a turbo on, but I also want to have a little bit of power.

Before everyone jumps in telling me that FI is cheaper, I understand and completely aware. Just gaining everyones feedback on this one. (TCpete,jimmyjun) I know you guys are in the midst of this venture.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Based on what jimmy has gotten so far, I'm not sure where you'd find the other 30-40hp... he doesn't have ALL of the stuff you listed, but a good portion.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is true, I was thinking more along the lines of 12:1 or higher compression, I know that BC has a stroker kit that can be ordered to preference on C/R. Cams, oversized valves 5 angle PnP and on standalone. But I also want this to be a streetable car, I built a h22a in my prelude but I know most everything is not going to be the same when it comes to the build. Once again im only using this for feedback or peoples thoughts or ideas if it is possible. If not im going turbo like the rest..

edit, as for compression, would a static C/R of 13:1 be able to run okay on 93octane without pulling back ridiculous amounts of timing? or could i make up for it with a thicker headgasket?

Last edited by mileoutrage; 09-07-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, Its possible.

Then again, if you have the pocket, You can make anything possible.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually,im seeing all motor cars either beating or neck and neck with turbo cars,yea turbo makes the car faster but i think its really the internal work that actually counts,like pistons,cams,but then again turbo just makes the car pull really nice and feels really good,
Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
actually,im seeing all motor cars either beating or neck and neck with turbo cars,yea turbo makes the car faster but i think its really the internal work that actually counts,like pistons,cams,but then again turbo just makes the car pull really nice and feels really good,
What? tC's?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdis3
What? tC's?
na just in general,
Old 09-08-2010, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, right now me and tc pete have the fastes N/A tc here in scionlife, and im the fastes here in Puerto rico. If you get a supercharger youll spend 3k dollar and get what? 190ish whp, with out other supporting mods. i know that there are people here that are supercharged and are hitting over 250whp but thats after spending the 3k dollars on the trd charger and a couple of more $$$$$ for supporting mods like intake, header, etc.... i have a 190whp n/a motor with much less than 3k dollars.

the difference with tcpete and me is that he has oversized valves,5a valve job and megasquirt ems( wich can retar or advance timing) and he has 15+whp more. clearly you can see the difference with the extrra supporting mods. what im trying to say is that the more mods you have the higher the whp output. in example if tcpete gets some cams, rx8 tb, some kind of aftermarket intake manifold, you can clearly see him do 215-220whp.

if i had the money to order another set of pistons i would bump the c/r to 12.5@1 or 13@1. and see more gains and it can be done with 93 octange gasoline.

to ansewer you questions:
are they capable of making 220 230whp?
-yes they are cappable.
are you going to spend some cash?
- yes sir
can it run on 93octane gas?
yes it can.

look at it like i do, you know how many civic si's i have beaten? to many to count, its something different that almost no one wants to do. go all motor and youll love it........

this will be a nice set up to hit 220-225whp:
13@1 pistons
bc stage 3 cams
weaponr intake manifold
rx8 tb
weapon r header
injen intake
pnp head with o/s valves and 5a valve job
exhaust
clutch kit
EMS
pulley kit
etc....
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty much same as what I have planned except for a few custom pieces.

This is a mock up of some plans, it looks like pretty much either way I go, F/I or NA its going to be around the same price for me for the set up I am looking for.

BC stroker kit, 2.6l, 12:5:1 BC rods
BC stage 3 cams
Ferrera 1mm os valves 35mm intake 30mm exhaust
Ferrera valve springs,guides,seat locks,retainers,ect
ACL bearings, cosmetic headgasket
Nst pulley set
rx8 tb / Injen intake
Custom equal length header from RMF
5 angle PnP
Exedy clutch and light weight flywheel
NST pulley set
Blitz throttle controller
not sure on ems at all..
Or for that matter a intake mani, hell mayber down the road i can pionner a ITB set up
Im sure they are a few stuff im forgetting, I seriously almost ordered alot of stuff from ptuning this past weekend glad I waited and thought it through.

This set up on DR, looking for atleast a 12 1/4..high hopes though

Thanks for feedback
I know we dont know alot about BC when it comes to our motor, but I stroked my 2.2 h22 to a 2.5 thanks to there kit and it was nothing but flawless performing on the street.They are a great company, there just isnt alot of people who have taken the step forward to purchase parts from them, other then cams.

Last edited by mileoutrage; 09-08-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mileoutrage

This is a mock up of some plans, it looks like pretty much either way I go, F/I or NA its going to be around the same price for me for the set up I am looking for.

BC stage 3 cams
Nst pulley set
rx8 tb / Injen intake
5 angle PnP
NST pulley set
not sure on ems at all..
Or for that matter a intake mani, hell mayber down the road i can pionner a ITB set up
Im sure they are a few stuff im forgetting, I seriously almost ordered alot of stuff from ptuning this past weekend glad I waited and thought it through.

Thanks for feedback
I know we dont know alot about BC when it comes to our motor, but I stroked my 2.2 h22 to a 2.5 thanks to there kit and it was nothing but flawless performing on the street.They are a great company, there just isnt alot of people who have taken the step forward to purchase parts from them, other then cams.
cross off that blitz throttle controller and replace it with TWP throttle controller,it does the same exact thing,but cheaper,does 10x more...
Old 09-08-2010, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi comp ethonal motor mmmm
Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

e85 on it and squeeze more power! and an awesome weight reduction, strip it down to less than 2,500 lbs and that 230-240 hp is really fast
Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I already have a head start in that area, my car is a spec tc, no cc,sub, sun roof,(fixed glass) steering wheel controls ect basically no creature comforts.

My car is fully gutted, down to removing the sound deadening, air bags, back seats, all plastics and unnecessary seat bracing. I plan on getting the glass roof removed and getting a sheet metal piece put in on top like the ptuning track car along with a few cf goodies painted CSM.

Does anyone happen to know what the stock curb weight for the spec tc is by any chance?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^ nice.. just have it weighed then and go from there.. cf hatch, hood, fenders, lightweight wheels (17" max).. thats right, just have CF painted if you're not fan of it. CF doors would be nice lol
Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I already have a head start in that area, my car is a spec tc, no cc,sub, sun roof,(fixed glass) steering wheel controls ect basically no creature comforts.

My car is fully gutted, down to removing the sound deadening, air bags, back seats, all plastics and unnecessary seat bracing. I plan on getting the glass roof removed and getting a sheet metal piece put in on top like the ptuning track car along with a few cf goodies painted CSM.

Does anyone happen to know what the stock curb weight for the spec tc is by any chance?
well assuming that car is not daily driven right !!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BC stage 3 cams
Nst pulley set
rx8 tb / Injen intake
5 angle PnP
NST pulley set
not sure on ems at all..

Thanks for feedback
thats a nice set up, make sure that you get an EMS tha can add some timing to the ignition and can control vvti timing also, because if you get bc cams the best way to get more power out of them is to get that vvti timing tune to perfection.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

car is going to be a weekend/track
what ems would be the best for NA application
Old 09-09-2010, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't remove the sound deadening... Everything rattles. I get a really really really annoying rattle now that comes from somewhere in the back of my car.

Edit: sorry... didn't see that you wanted this as a track car. In that case carry on.

P.S. It shouldn't be hard getting the car's weight down at all. We've gotten the old cb7's down to around 2200 if not less. Those back seats and such weighs sooooo much.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

car is going to be a weekend/track
what ems would be the best for NA application
if budget isnt an issue, AEM or Dezods Allan Phillips EMS. If ur in a budget try contacting tcpete he has a nice cheap EMS(megasquirt)
Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know what you mean by the rattling, it gets old but im going to find out what it is if its the last thing I do, as far as EMS goes, budget isnt a factor but that doesn't mean that I really want to get a 1300+ ems and then have street and dyno tuning on top of that. Im going to look into megasquirt and see if I have any certified tuners near by, but in the end cheap parts will carry a heavy cost performance and liability wise.

Quick Reply: allmotor limits