Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Another Key Change/Keyless Entry Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 08:33 PM

Default Another Key Change/Keyless Entry Question

Hello,

I am new here and a new Scion owner. I bought a 2006 Scion tC last week. I ordered a blank keyless entry remote after watching countless videos online. When I attempted to put the car in programming mode it would not go. And I remembered the lady I got it from saying she bought 3-4 Fobs from the dealer and lost them all. It only has the master key with no keyless entry.

So I went through the steps to see how many fobs were programmed and sure enough the door locks clicked 4 times.

But another thing I’ve noticed, is when I insert the key and the door is open it doesn’t always ding and when I open the door to open and shut 6 times it doesn’t always ding. Could this be what’s causing the car not to go into programming mode?

Also, is there anyway to delete the keys from the ECU/immobilizer? Meaning is there anyway to get the new key I bought to start the car AND lock/unlock remotely?

Thanks for any help!!
Old 07-25-2020, 10:48 PM
SL Member

But another thing I’ve noticed, is when I insert the key and the door is open it doesn’t always ding and when I open the door to open and shut 6 times it doesn’t always ding. Could this be what’s causing the car not to go into programming mode?
I don't think the ding would cause the car not to go into program mode, but I could be wrong. The security light of the center console should stay lit when you are in programming mode.

Also, is there anyway to delete the keys from the ECU/immobilizer? Meaning is there anyway to get the new key I bought to start the car AND lock/unlock remotely?
Yes, there is a way to remove them but you will need a laptop to do it.

You should be able to add another key even with the four that are already programmed.

How to Program a Keyless Entry for a Scion tC: https://itstillruns.com/program-keyl...c-5752878.html

How to program new Scion tC chip key (no tools required)

How to erase lost or stolen transponder chip keys from Toyota, Lexus or Scion ECU computer.

Last edited by JakeAut0; 07-26-2020 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 07-26-2020, 08:28 AM

I have watched/tried the first video. Removing the key 4 times, leaving it the 5th, and opening up the door 6 times DOES NOT leave the light on. One other thing, does it matter if the window is up or down? It was about 100 degrees today and I had the window down but I’m reading a few places that the door AND windows need to be closed when starting the procedure!?!

I read a few places that the maximum number of keys allowed was 4. And one time & once only I was able to get the door locks to lock/unlock slowly 4 times which was how I was able to determine that’s how many was programmed.

But I can’t get the key programmed with the immobilizer so I can go get it cut nor can I get it to the point where the keyless entry will work. (I never had a keyless entry with the car. I got one master key with no buttons and one valet key).

On a side note, what would cause the car not to ding when the door is opened and key in the ignition? Like during the process it would ding on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th door opening and then on the 5th opening it wouldn’t ding. Could it be the key/ignition getting worn out?

Thanks again for the help and replies so far!!

Last edited by SoMoteItBe; 07-26-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:37 PM
SL Member

I read a few places that the maximum number of keys allowed was 4. And one time & once only I was able to get the door locks to lock/unlock slowly 4 times which was how I was able to determine that’s how many was programmed.
I also did some searching and it seems that Toyotas/Scions do have a maximum number of keys that can be programmed. So, your tC is probably at its max and will not allow any more to be programmed until you remove the keys. This could also be a reason for why it won't go into programming mode and could be why the door does not ding.

So you're going to have to erase some keys to free up space for a new one.

Good info on Toyota/scion key fob programming and says that having a max number of programmed keys can be a reason why it's not going into program mode.
Toyota Key & Remote Fob Programming Instructions - No Tools Required