Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Any Hope For tC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks a ton guys! So to reach low 14's to high 13's I won't have to do an engine swap? What do you guys recommend?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoCalLove
Well, I also need good gas mileage which is one of the reasons why I was attracted to the tC.
you can't have cheap, reliable, fast, and efficient... it just doesn't happen
Old 09-07-2005, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member

It seems that the tC is that. Please point me out where it doesn't as I would like to know...
Old 09-07-2005, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Generally a turbo isn't considered cheap. Also, a turbo is not known for adding gas milage so in that effect it isn't fuel efficient. Other than that, a turbo tC is fast and reliable.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

reliable?

how many miles have been chalked up on a Turbo tC.. what's the highest so far?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of course, I presume the turbos that have gone out are properly made and tested.

And a local story here says something about a 4 cyl Camry running 120k miles boosted. Is that proof enough? No proof I guess just a small time legend/myth..
Old 09-07-2005, 02:28 PM
SL Member

Ok, just a few comments from someone whose browsing and reading and doesn't know jack about tuning...

a. Why not make the most of what you have? I like my TC and I'm trying to learn as much as I can and try to improve it, both aesthetically and power-wise. I DON'T have the money for a lot of upgrades, but over time I could still do a lot to this car

b. I chose the TC because it was unique (yes, it really is... what's the alternative? A civic? An ugly little civic? pulling up to the other 12 civics sitting at the next intersection?). There's a reason why people are attracted to Scion...

c. ...one of which is price. Had I been able to afford a more high-end car, like a 350Z or a Mustang GT, I would have bought one. Yes, I acknowledge that some cars are going to be faster, better, right off the dealer's lot than my TC...but you PAY for that. Yes, the Mini-Cooper will handle much better than a TC...it's also about $3,000 - $4,000 MORE than a TC. So it evens out in the end because it's going to cost almost that much to enhace a TC to get the same performance, right?

d. Hasn't it been established, that with unlimited amount of money, ANY car can be tuned? Last year, Motor Trend did an article on a $100,000 Ford Focus that could keep up with a Lambo Gallardo. Are you going to look at those guys and say to them. "Hey, you should've just bought a Lambo...or an NSX...or a Viper". Do you think they care? They have something unique, that's pretty cool if you ask me.

e. Even though I don't know jack, I do understand that everything is compromise. To enhace one area is obivously going to detract from another. The hottest chic on the planet doesn't give ********...the ugliest one gives the best, know what I mean?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeamMightyMiniz
why would you post the most expensive available 350 and not the most expensive available tC?

Your logic falls short.

truth is, the 350 , best value is the enthusiast, $26k that = 297hp WITH LSD, proper clearance, framing, and suspension

That is $6k more than the most expensive tC from the dealer.

2 tC's my ****.

anyhow, the tC is a neato car, but I'm sure it's a pig on a track.
Why would you post the most expensive available tC and not the most expensive 350?

your logic falls short.

actually, the most expensive 350 = about 1.75 of the most expensive tC's and the cheapest 350 = about 1.6 of the cheapest tC's.

oh boy. that makes me feel better knowing how many tC's it takes to buy a 350.

but wait....160hp x 2 = 320..... so I guess 2 tC's are actually better.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:05 PM
SL Member

Hmm, how about this then:

My TC car payment, at 7% = $356 a month/60mo.

$26,000 at same rates = $514 a month

Besides, the TC wasn't meant to be in competition with a 350Z, which makes the entire argument pretty pointless.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The argument was for a straight line racer.

The tC obviously isn't the best car for a straight line race, nor is it the best for any hardcore racing unless you replace the roof with CF and then work out the rest of the car.

I like the tC so much becaues it's a nice car all around - not too hardcore but more than sporty enough for the once-in-awhile, not too luxurious to be expensive for nothing but not economy material.

However, a turbo tC is FAST (I consider something like a 350z fast, faster is FAST) while still staying under the price and still being a lot more livable than the z.

For the whole setup, it's about 3500 for a turbo, 300 for an exhaust, and 450 for springs, sways, and braces. It'll be about 22,000 bucks for a pretty killer tC. That'll make a car that's similarly priced to the SRT4, handles about the same or better or much better, and has way more power.

So yea, I guess the tC does have some hope afterall.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well said

Add in $600 for stickier tires and $300-$500 for an LSD and it's even better.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$450 for springs sways and braces.... nah
$$$Try coilovers instead$$$

add front and rear sways
front and rear strut braces

You'll need new control arms front and back.

LSD of course.

New clutch and flywheel

Airfuel system upgrade, larger injectors
ECU Remapping

the unwarrantied maintenance costs $????

Shoot what's the total now?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

coil overs - $1k,
sway and strut braces - $400
you don't need control arms
LSD was already mentioned
clutch AND flywheel aren't needed. clutch - $350
airfuel system upgrade... ahh well you're an idiot that comes with a turbo kit

you don't REMAP the ECU you piggyback it

not sure what maintenance costs other than coolant, oil, and not being a jackass and keeping an eye on your car.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so another $1750 + $3000 + $17000 and it's cheaper than an SRT-4, faster, and handles better.

it's one of a kind. made how YOU want it. and beats the pants off a Z
Old 09-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Split. Stay on topic!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$450 for springs sways and braces.... nah
$$$Try coilovers instead$$$

add front and rear sways
front and rear strut braces

You'll need new control arms front and back.

LSD of course.

New clutch and flywheel

Airfuel system upgrade, larger injectors
ECU Remapping

the unwarrantied maintenance costs $????

Shoot what's the total now?
Why do I need new front and rear control arms?

I'll stick with sways, braces, and springs because that is all that's needed to match a competitor car. No shocks either because I don't think that large of a drop is required.

LSD of course, add 800 and it's still about 22k. New clutch and flywheel will push it up to about 23k. Air fuel upgrades are included with the turbo.

Unwarrantied maintenance costs? Maintenance? Like changing oil? Rotating tires and what not? If you set the car up properly it'll last. Remember that 120k turbo camry? Stupid idea but still 120k MILES on the odometer so I don't think there will be that many problems that require going in getting warranty repairs.

So all in all, I think the total runs under 24k which is over MSRP for an SRT4 and about the same as an as tested SRT4 or RSX-S but still a bit faster.

Let's say 26k for installation and another k for a second stage turbo. 27k pits the car under an EVO and under an STi and pushing 300 whp. For stickier tires and expensive wheels the car will be at the same price level and out perform in all ways except lacking two drive wheels.

Am I missing anything?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whatever you guys... I own a tC so don't think I'm against the platform like the overzealous mod would make it seem.

It seems there is no room for debate on this site.. be it mechanical, political or personal

When this site started it was fantastic.... Now.. I dunno.

So, please continue the debate, I'll chime in as much as I can before the mods ____ on it.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks again for the replies guys. I don't expect to get good gas mileage when I'm actually driving with a lead foot but when I'm just doing city driving for around town and stuff could I still get good gas mileage with a turbo tC? Also, I heard that you can sometimes get a switch installed to turn the turbo on or off. Is this true?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can't turn a turbo off

you can however control how much boost you force into the motor
Old 09-08-2005, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whatever you guys... I own a tC so don't think I'm against the platform like the overzealous mod would make it seem.

It seems there is no room for debate on this site.. be it mechanical, political or personal

When this site started it was fantastic.... Now.. I dunno.

So, please continue the debate, I'll chime in as much as I can before the mods poop on it.
If that's directed at me don't think I'm arguing against you, I'm sincerely asking if there's anything else I'm missing.

The tC does have hope and I highlighted what I think would make the tC a good performer and competitive up to the level of an SRT4. My questions were not rhetorical, they were earnest because I was trying to contribute to what I thought was turning out to be a fairly academic discussion! We all know we could always use a little more academic discussions here instead of jumping on people for having headers on a four cylinder..

Quick Reply: Any Hope For tC?