Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Any Hope For tC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

anything is possible with money. but is it WORTH the money u ask. thats up to u. i think the scion would have better potential in scca and touge style driving. suspension works is the best, perfect the driver before u make the car faster. why have the power when u cannot use it?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Potential says it all.
Whether u race in a straight line or Xcross there’s no other car out there with greater potential than the tC.
In all of the truest race cars, weight is the most important element. The tC is able to achieve this better than any car of its class (+ some others). With potentially the capability to house a Supra motor makes it remarkable, and a car that can truly take the checkered flag. To achieve this level one must be willing to sacrifice the car strictly for that purpose only.
One can take the money spent for any vehicle in comparison and use it to upgrade the tC most likely having better results. There is a price to it however…that price (besides the obvious $ factor) is daily drivability. The line between daily drivable and race worthy is purely determined by the individual who drives it. If you’re truly determined to go all the way, I don’t see why the tC shouldn’t be able to achieve quarter mile times under 10 seconds. Autocross racing could also be won due to the weight factor I explained above, but winning all depends on the driver (in my personal opinion).
To say the tC has no hope couldn’t be farther from the truth. It is in fact the car with the most potential.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

touge style... I dunno, it would take a lot of investment to have a competative touge tC.

This pig is heavy.
Poor center of gravity, even a sweet suspension wouldn't fix.
It'd need to be stripped, all the lead would need to GO.

Read ^ again when talking about autoX.

IF you are seeking to BUILD the tC, buy a salvage, or used. Save the premium $ for premium upgrades and work.

IF budget is a concern, and you cannot afford a $25K car, you really shouldn't be messing with the motor of a $17K car. It's another reason to buy salvage or pre-owned.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
buy a fox body mustang with a 5.0
I second that.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$25k vw
http://www.editorscharitychallenge.c...rtrend/before/

if you want fast, buy used and mod yourself. if you want reliable, buy new. if you want fast *and* reliable*, shell out the cash for something that's new and fast to begin with. the tC is not a racer, and its not supposed to be.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not a racer and not supposed to be... well with that argument, nothing street legal is a racer.

*sigh*

you guys really seem to miss the point of modding cars for performance.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can have a car that is cheap, reliable, or fast...but you can pick only 2 out of the 3.

Originally Posted by R2D2

Whether u race in a straight line or Xcross there’s no other car out there with greater potential than the tC.
In all of the truest race cars, weight is the most important element. The tC is able to achieve this better than any car of its class (+ some others). With potentially the capability to house a Supra motor makes it remarkable, and a car that can truly take the checkered flag. To achieve this level one must be willing to sacrifice the car strictly for that purpose only.
I don't know what kind of world you live in. The tC weighs in at a portly 2900 lbs. A sentra spec v costs about the same, weighs less, has 10 more hp, has an lsd stock, and will go around an autox course significantly faster than a tC.

No other car with greater potential? Are you kidding?

Theres a tC with a 2jzgte motor and it races somewhere with a checkered flag? Where?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

read up on the spec v forums and see what kind of luck they're having with forced induction on those motors... they don't have nearly the power potential that the 2az-fe has.

2jzgte powered tC is by titan motorsports... in o-town, FL
Old 09-09-2005, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really? I hear there are plenty of qr25de motors that are turboed. They do come with forged crankshafts and forged connecting rods. Maybe because they have been around longer and more people have them, you see people post up more problems.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i heard there was an issue with the high compression.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
i heard there was an issue with the high compression.
The tC has high compression than the sentra....9.6:1 vs 9.5:1
Old 09-09-2005, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hrmm.. interesting i'll take that into account next time a buddy starts yapping about them.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stl_tc_king
just cut out a hole in the floor and run like Fred Flintstone. Great gas mileage too! (0 miles/ gallon) Then drink a Red Bull and you'll have wings, ya know.
See, the tC is perfect for that, stock.

Just open both windows and the sunroof, and you can stick out your wings and just go.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't know what kind of world you live in. The tC weighs in at a portly 2900 lbs. A sentra spec v costs about the same, weighs less, has 10 more hp, has an lsd stock, and will go around an autox course significantly faster than a tC.

No I'm not kidding... If you were able to comprehend what I was saying u'd understand that by making the car lighter (via mods) than the tC has unlimited potential. How can someone achieve that (u might ask)? By simply lightening up the car (replacing all glass on the car, body work to carbon fiber, and so on..).
Adding to ur "idea" all i need to say is "SentrA???" (LOL)... I'd smoke u in a Corolla if u wanna go there.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by R2D2
don't know what kind of world you live in. The tC weighs in at a portly 2900 lbs. A sentra spec v costs about the same, weighs less, has 10 more hp, has an lsd stock, and will go around an autox course significantly faster than a tC.

No I'm not kidding... If you were able to comprehend what I was saying u'd understand that by making the car lighter (via mods) than the tC has unlimited potential. How can someone achieve that (u might ask)? By simply lightening up the car (replacing all glass on the car, body work to carbon fiber, and so on..).
Adding to ur "idea" all i need to say is "SentrA???" (LOL)... I'd smoke u in a Corolla if u wanna go there.
Well...if you take your shift **** out of your tC, throw it in a Ferrari Enzo, and still call it a tC, then okay, I agree with you.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking about exactly this today as I got completely sideways in my 3415 lb Supra doing something I do all the time in my 2915 lb tC without any drama at all.

First, R2D2, you have a point about weight. Unfortunately, there are inherent limits to reducing weight. Toyco builds some of the heaviest cars in class as a general rule. Not always, but very typically. This isn't because they've packed them full of heavy stuff, it's because the fundamental chassis design is heavy. The tC is no exception. Sure there are lots of things you can do to reduce weight, but I'll bet a pretty large sum that a Mini can be made lighter because the chassis is built lighter. Once you strip it down to bare (and I mean bare!) chassis, my bet is the tC is going to be the heaviest in class. It doesn't mean you can't win against other cars. It does mean if you are competing against someone with sufficient desire and resources, they are going to have a significant edge against you.

It's great that you love the tC. But you're not seeing the unfairness of the fight against the competition. They have an edge, and it's going to take a lot more to develop the tC to be effective against them, especially after they start doing the same things you are to reduce weight.

Unless you have the resources to replicate the tC chassis in composites, you are ALWAYS going to be at a disadvantage. That's what everyone here is saying. And yes, I own TWO tCs because I think they are an incredible value, not because I think they are a great performance platform.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking about exactly this today as I got completely sideways in my 3415 lb Supra doing something I do all the time in my 2915 lb tC without any drama at all.

First, R2D2, you have a point about weight. Unfortunately, there are inherent limits to reducing weight. Toyco builds some of the heaviest cars in class as a general rule. Not always, but very typically. This isn't because they've packed them full of heavy stuff, it's because the fundamental chassis design is heavy. The tC is no exception. Sure there are lots of things you can do to reduce weight, but I'll bet a pretty large sum that a Mini can be made lighter because the chassis is built lighter. Once you strip it down to bare (and I mean bare!) chassis, my bet is the tC is going to be the heaviest in class. It doesn't mean you can't win against other cars. It does mean if you are competing against someone with sufficient desire and resources, they are going to have a significant edge against you.

It's great that you love the tC. But you're not seeing the unfairness of the fight against the competition. They have an edge, and it's going to take a lot more to develop the tC to be effective against them, especially after they start doing the same things you are to reduce weight.

Unless you have the resources to replicate the tC chassis in composites, you are ALWAYS going to be at a disadvantage. That's what everyone here is saying. And yes, I own TWO tCs because I think they are an incredible value, not because I think they are a great performance platform.
Ic ur point Lo_Bux, however have faith.
Any vehicle will have some type of limitation when a right or left sided driver is involved (thats just physics). U must surely see (since u've got two of them) that there is potential in the tC. True, the fundamental base chassis (EU) isn't the top for Xcrossin, but for being a FWD under $20K car says a lot about potential. We all knew that the tC isn 't the best at cornering (info from reviews & specs @ 0.81 g), and in my opinion the best overall chassis for hardcore Xcrossin is the Altezza AWD (if possible)....
True... It is and will be a uphill battle for the tC in hardcore Xcrossin, but on exiting the apex & straight aways.. KICKASS! I still believe that with some mods, it can definitely take on pretty much anything in its range and ones even beyond. If your an extremist Xcrosser only, the tC might not be for u..
When it comes to brand new cars FWD & under $20K the tC is right up there as one of the top cars with the most potential~with an emphasis on KICKINGASS!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anything is possibly with money.