Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Anyone else having this issue? Engine Sputter kind of?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone else having this issue? Engine Sputter kind of?

I don't know if you guys ever get it, but when I'm on the freeway and doing 75-ish, the engine will sometimes sound like it's sputtering almost...or gasping for air kinda. I can feel it in the pedal and feel the whole car kinda vibrate a little bit... I don't know what it is, anyone else get that?

The pedal kind of stiffens up and pushes back at me a little bit and the whole car feels like your chest would when gasping for air or breathing REAL deep. It only lasts a few seconds and then it's back to normal, but it acts as if it's not igniting cleanly or not getting the air it needs...beats me.

Anyone?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Anyone else having this issue? Engine Sputter kind of?

Originally Posted by kidwolf908
I don't know if you guys ever get it, but when I'm on the freeway and doing 75-ish, the engine will sometimes sound like it's sputtering almost...or gasping for air kinda. I can feel it in the pedal and feel the whole car kinda vibrate a little bit... I don't know what it is, anyone else get that?

The pedal kind of stiffens up and pushes back at me a little bit and the whole car feels like your chest would when gasping for air or breathing REAL deep. It only lasts a few seconds and then it's back to normal, but it acts as if it's not igniting cleanly or not getting the air it needs...beats me.

Anyone?
well, since theres about 10 million things it could be, i'd start with the easiest trouble-shooting.

1) check to make sure air filter is clean
2) check to make sure no vaccuum leaks
3) use a fuel injector cleaner (1 bottle in tank of gas) for the next 2 fill-ups...see if the issue stops.

The "pedal stiffening up" is in your head. There is NOTHING that could mechanically affect the pedal and cause it to stiffen, unless there is something stuck under the pedal itself.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The "pedal stiffening up" is in your head. There is NOTHING that could mechanically affect the pedal and cause it to stiffen, unless there is something stuck under the pedal itself.
Ehh I guess that's just because I feel the whole car shudder a little bit, so the pedal seems to react similarly. I'll check the air filter, I bought 2 new ones last week, but didn't bother putting one in because I thought they were supposed to last 20,000+ miles. I have 17,000... when do you typically change them? I'll have to check on how it looks :-\

And to answer your question, no I don't have a window open lol, it's 40F around here during this time of year
Old 01-08-2008, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kidwolf908
Ehh I guess that's just because I feel the whole car shudder a little bit, so the pedal seems to react similarly. I'll check the air filter, I bought 2 new ones last week, but didn't bother putting one in because I thought they were supposed to last 20,000+ miles. I have 17,000... when do you typically change them? I'll have to check on how it looks :-\

And to answer your question, no I don't have a window open lol, it's 40F around here during this time of year
well, its usually 40F around philly this time of year too..... 60 yesterday, 65 today.

Do u have the stock air filter? if so, it really should be fine.

I have to clean my filter about 1x /week, since i have a "GFI" style intake that draws from the lower false grill in the bumper. Every week i get all kinds of bugs, leaves, dirt, gravel, sand, etc...

when i clean it, i immediately notice a difference in throttle response, power/tq, mpgs, etc..

but sounds like u have a different issue.

is your car auto? might be a tranny issue.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I'm still on the stock air filter, everything drivetrain wise is still factory. I checked on the air filter, it's fairly gray in color... looks like the one that they have at the Toyota dealership as an example of when to change your filter.

But could a filter that's ALWAYS clogged up a bit really cause this just every once in a while on the highway? I hope it isn't something serious like the tranny, that would blow.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go get a can of seafoam injector cleaner and run it through. follow the instructions on the can. it should help you out.