Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ARC Super Air Induction Box Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default ARC Super Air Induction Box Review

Okay guys, i seem to be the first one in Scionlife to write about this so i made a new thread about it.

This was actually a pricey kit for just a box and .. wait tahts it.
For about 450 ( i didnt pay that price ) it is just about the same from my injen, but smoother. i actually can't give out more information right now cuz i'm in a hurry. But tonight i'll have a big review soon.

so stay tuned.

in short for now, out of 10, i give this ARC Super Air Induction Box a 8.

be right back

-taek
Old 10-10-2005, 04:09 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

wow no one replied. how sad

okay well here goes

I couldn't really do a DIY sorry guys because its very basic.

Actually the reason why i gave it a 8/10 is because : first of all, it came without any directions. Second of all, the mounting points made no sense. Third of all, just looking at it makes me wonder how it really works.

Now, don't ge tme wrong, i'm not saying its horrible and you shouldn't buy it.

Compared to my old Injen CAI (that i now have for sale for 150) its pretty much the same but the benefit of this is that, i don't have to worry about getting water into my intake like a CAI can..

What is bettter of this intake is that it gives a smoother ride. Acceleration, shifts and evrything is smoother. Response is about the same, and you can't really feel the difference in power.

For sound, i don't hear it becuase my exhaust is too loud. Before, i remember when i first installed the CAi, i could hear whistling and and large soudn of air being intaked into the car. If the car is being revved, and you are standing right next to the air induction box, you hear kinda like wind being sucked in. Which is good.

What i also like about this is that, it just sits there perfectly in that one corner and it stands out from the entire engine. That Red Filter sticks out of evrything.

So for installation, without directions it was a bit "oh crap" lol. I had to take out my Injen CAi and put in my stock piping. That was basically the hardet part and figuring out that you can only mount one side of the box to the chassis and have the rest just sit there.

So for directions, erm...

1. mount right side of box with the hanger and offered bolts into the chassis.

2. tighten box and stock piping, as well as MAF sensor.

thats all basically. LOL so no DIY needed.

So my rating for this intake is 8/10.

bad:
1. price is a bit high
2. no instructions
3. bolts and hangers made no sense.

Good:
1. YES JDM!!!
2. YES ARC!!
3. simple design and very effective

Pics will be up soon. So Stay tuned.

GIVE ME SOME OF YOUR COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

-taek
Old 10-10-2005, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pics would be nice.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

bolt that isnt bolted to anything

bolt that isnt bolted to anything

bolt that i bolted onto chassis

enjoy!!!

-taek
Old 10-10-2005, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the filter seems like in some ways it might be similar to weapon r.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What does it do better? I'm not seeing it, especially for the money. Unless you want to look unique, I don't see the point.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen a couple of people pitching these, and I have to say, it seems like a huge waste of $500.

What does it actually do that's _better_ that stock ?

It's a big metal box that sucks air in from inside the engine ? Metal being not good for heat and inside being not good for heat.

At least the stock box gets it's air from somewhat outside the main engine compartment.

Maybe I missed something.

And BTW, lol at 8/10 - it has no instructions, appears to not fit, and doesn't seem to do much, what's the 8 for then? 8 becuase it was free and if you pitch it hard and get others to buy it you might get more free stuff?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:11 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

lol limey you're so harsh, you seem like a hater

i didn't get it free and it is better. i've been used to the injen cai power and changing to this, i don't feel any loss but a smoother ride

when my friendw as revving the car, i cuold hear the wind being sucked in. it looks very simple and uesless but that is why ARC is so amazing.

-taek
Old 10-10-2005, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man... ARC is the SH*T!, those of you guys who dont know obviously, its JDM. all those ek9 civics that win JDM shows only have these. These are what the big kids have in their cars. ARC is no joke.

Taek seems to be going JDM, and personally he has one of the best tcs around. from his bride seats, to his ARC intake, and his $450 takata harnesses. taek has good stuff.

good stuff man
Old 10-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

thanks mike. apperciate it

-taek
Old 10-10-2005, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if youre not familiar with japanese tuners, this intake probably holds little value to you.

i remember when Moroso, Hotchkis, and Edelbrock started making parts for import cars. people who had no experience working on domestics/muscle cars thought these were crap companies making junk parts. obviously thats not true.

ARC makes some nice stuff. Adds that JDM flavor. I am really surprised ARC made something for the tC.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

lol JDM tC. That's just funny. Since there isn't even a tC in Japan....

Plus, what a huge waste of money. OOOO JDM that must mean it's l33t! no, it's just a waste of money.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its the fact that ARC actually made something for a car that isnt even sold in the homeland. It is true they make high quality parts within the JDM. But the price on this intake right now is pretty extreme, just for a SR box.
I dig the look, its pretty badass btw. Quality and craftsmanship is there, but I dont think its worth $400.

I should be one to talk, lol..shiet, I spent $550 on a Mugen wing for my Prelude back in the day. (yea, its just a wing i know..just like this is just an intake...damn, what would you do for a klondike bar)
Old 10-10-2005, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quality and craftsmanship? With the exception of the filter itself. it looks like something I could fab in an hour in any decent sheet metal shop. I'm sure if we have any Air Force aircraft sheet metal guys, they're laughing at that price and plotting to make them in their spare time.

Where's the value? I just don't see it.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

what i dont get is why would you want to put the stock air tube back in your car its the most restrictive part of the intake
Old 10-10-2005, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I seriously doubt that. The paper filter is the most restrictive part of the OEM design.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lo_bux_racer
Quality and craftsmanship? With the exception of the filter itself. it looks like something I could fab in an hour in any decent sheet metal shop. I'm sure if we have any Air Force aircraft sheet metal guys, they're laughing at that price and plotting to make them in their spare time.

Where's the value? I just don't see it.
I meant to say ARC products as a whole
Old 10-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

take the ARC air box and look at it in detail. you'll see the craftsmanship of each corner.

you can't judge something like that box through pictures and just say that its a POS.

and about the no tC in japan crap. thats BS because endless BBK has come out wiht a kit for the tC. Trust made Greddy's strut bar. and here is ARC with their release on the intake.

Zeal is pending on their coilovers...i seriously doubt that there isn't a tC in japan now. they must have a few to release these products.

so JDM tC? maybe. why not? its made in japan. and there are jdm companies making products. do you need japanese people to be playing with the car before we do to say its JDM? i think not.

-taek
Old 10-10-2005, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all this jdm shiet is bs

I see Airrunner make air supension for the 300c and Airrunner from japan. So does that mean the 300c is marked at a jdm car?

companies over sea see that their is a profit to be made in a certain car so they make the product. they dont' care if the car from japan or not. its all about making freaken $$$ from stupid people that wants to say that their shiet be jdm. LOL

so this product made be quality made and expensive since it from arc. but it definitely not jdm
Old 10-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

richard, stop being a hater and trying to be like mike ma. if ARC, endless, zeal made parts for the car, its enough to be jdm.

-taek

Quick Reply: ARC Super Air Induction Box Review