Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Auto Tranny Build Up Guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wlfpck
No problem. Wish I could get this stickied... but I don't think too many people are interested in building up an automatic transmission.
I'm pumped hahaa I like my auto maybe if the tC was like my mr2 .... rwd and 2 seater Id feel like it to also be a standard ahaa
Old 07-06-2010, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For those who bought an auto tC like I did, you might be interested in transmission upgrades. Reason? So you don't fry your transmission when you go turbo, nitrous, or supercharged. Hell.... even all motor.

First off.... easiest and cheapest mod.

-Transmission oil cooler. Lowers temp of the oil. not much to explain.
www.bmracing.com
www.trdusa.com (they don't make one for the tc but i think it can be fitted.)
hayden (don't know the website off the top of my head.)

Next, is Valve body work. This controls the many aspects of how the tranny shifts. For instance, some domestics use a manual tranny valve body and slap it on a auto tranny. Result = something similar to a sequential. But that's not what we're aiming for. You can NOT do this on an import. (not that I know of at least.)

We're aiming for making the valve body stronger.
-http://www.levelten.com/
-ZPI (don't know the website. If someone can fill me in that'd be great)

Additional parts....use the same website, Level ten performance, as listed above.
-PTS kit
-Level ten hydrosystem
-torque converter
-Super pump

And there you have it. Probably the only sources (at least I could find when building my accord) for auto tranny builod ups. My 91 cb7 (accord) has the pts kit and the level ten torque converter. Of course I'm not running massive performance mods on my accord. Just cam, i/h/e, and swapped intake manifold.

Hope this helps some people. No one even read this at yoursciontc... so.... yeah... lol
I would just like to add that I've achieved very favorable results by replacing the Toyota WS ATF (Watered-down ____e) with Mobil One syn ATF. IPT uses Amsoil syn ATF (normal viscosity) in all their tranny builds and IMO Toyota's use of low-viscosity WS ATF is exclusively for improved fuel economy and reduced emmisions. My tranny not only shifts much firmer with M1, the torque convertor also locks up ~500rpm sooner.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I would just like to add that I've achieved very favorable results by replacing the Toyota WS ATF (Watered-down ____e) with Mobil One syn ATF. IPT uses Amsoil syn ATF (normal viscosity) in all their tranny builds and IMO Toyota's use of low-viscosity WS ATF is exclusively for improved fuel economy and reduced emmisions. My tranny not only shifts much firmer with M1, the torque convertor also locks up ~500rpm sooner.
Hm... that's actually pretty interesting. This wasn't even something that I took into consideration since my accord has been long using mobil one.

Did you replace anything when you swapped the ATF?

p.s. I'll edit my original post on the front page to include your info.

Thanks for the addition.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm... that's actually pretty interesting. This wasn't even something that I took into consideration since my accord has been long using mobil one.

Did you replace anything when you swapped the ATF?

p.s. I'll edit my original post on the front page to include your info.

Thanks for the addition.
I replaced the filter and did a complete ATF exchange by pumping the WS out the cooler return line while refilling with M1. I already had a B&M cooler installed. The switch to M1 exceeded my expectations.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm... that's good to hear.

Where did you mount your oil cooler? I had to make brackets for my accord. I will be making a bracket for the tC as soon as I stop being lazy.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm... that's good to hear.

Where did you mount your oil cooler? I had to make brackets for my accord. I will be making a bracket for the tC as soon as I stop being lazy.
I used the supplied brackets (painted black) to mount the cooler in front of the AC condensor. I used one existing threaded hole and drilled a second. I used the included foam tape to separate the unsecured bottom from the condensor. I'm not happy with it and plan to change it at some point but it works okay for now.

I screwed up the first time by mounting it with the inlet/outlet facing down then fixed it by mounting it sideways so the ATF goes in the bottom and out the top. There was no mention in the instructions but I've learned that it's important to mount "cold fluid bypass" style coolers either sideways with inlet bottom and outlet top or inlet/outlet both on top. With the inlet/outlet on the bottom the ATF can bypass most of the cooler through the cold fluid bypass orifices.

Sorry I don't have any pics.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No prob. I found a pic with the WR oil cooler installed on a tC. I just need to make my brackets. (I have a summit racing cooler)
Old 08-16-2010, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im gona be running a s/c with a 9.5 lbs pulley upgrade, AEM FIC , mmw headers, injen intake, trd exhaust with hks bov. Im really not going to be making more than 220-240 hp, as far as a tranny goes, should i upgrade, i wanted to get just a cooler but it seems smart to upgrade the valve body as well. In the future i plan on turboing and running both turbo and s/c. what do you guys think im safe just with the cooler until i plan on upgrading to turbo as well?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A nice size cooler and a good tranny fluid and you should be fine I would say but the valve body wont hurt you thats for sure
Old 08-17-2010, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

s/c and turbo? good luck on that.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sako
im gona be running a s/c with a 9.5 lbs pulley upgrade, AEM FIC , mmw headers, injen intake, trd exhaust with hks bov. Im really not going to be making more than 220-240 hp, as far as a tranny goes, should i upgrade, i wanted to get just a cooler but it seems smart to upgrade the valve body as well. In the future i plan on turboing and running both turbo and s/c. what do you guys think im safe just with the cooler until i plan on upgrading to turbo as well?

I would do research before you try and twin charge your tC..the only tC that has done it had an unlimited budget and (in the end) was more for show than anything else.

It's your car but sounds like you need to do some more research..it's not as simple as slapping on a turbo next to the supercharger and calling it a day..
Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^yep and even that person with the twin charged tC had to run a one off hydra ecu.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wasn't that tC called gojira or something like that? I remember it had a nick name.

Supposedly they weren't pushing that much power because they had not put in a stronger clutch at the time but I also remember it only pushed like..250whp at most? and it was such an awkward power band it was more show than anything else.

Going based off of what little I remember but I know at least a portion of what I said is right haha
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow i guess its better to run a bigger turbo efficiently lol
Old 08-26-2010, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Where can I find clutches for my transmission. I have a pcs throw a code on me and I am considering just redoing everything.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ipt trans
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok fyi im new on here but ive been reading this thread and i have an ipt transmission build from them and im runing 325 and its sweet alltho i dont have the chip to make it shift higher but let me tell you its a good investment if you dont want to do a transmission swap. I race my friend all the time with his manuel and he get ____ cause i beat him and he use to beat me all the time
Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont believe you have 325hp on an auto with just the IPT upgrade. a few people have done the ipt trans and valve body upgrade and was only pushing 230 or 240 with the tranny slipping like crazy.

please show proof of this 325 auto tC.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I brought the IPT trans witch ran me 5+ and build the head with port and polish and stage 2 cames and tune at ptuning life get you at 305 at first then 325. oh and by the way i live down the street from ptuningand i know almost every one there but long story short tune with aem fic gand them tuning it got me 325 if anyone has questions let me know ill and thats not even IPT strongest trans
Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How bad are you slipping? How long have you had the turbo on with the auto tranny? Im a little fond that you can be pushing 339 hp and 307 tq when our stock auto tranny has been proven to only push tops 250 with upgrades

Edit-Saw your Mod post.

Quick Reply: Auto Tranny Build Up Guide