Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Beating a dead horse...the NA Journey

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default Beating a dead horse...the NA Journey

Well guys...I have not posted here in a while...but I thought I could share with you all how my NA set up is going so far.

As of now I am done with the body work. The lip kit+wing from viniati is mounted and painted beautifully by Orange County Body Works and I got my ebay shark fins on it too ^^

Now I am concerning myself with the engine work. In my club here in Socal most of the guys and gals run F/I for power be it S/C or Turbo. Highest we have is 285 with the turbonetics and lowest we have is 235 from the S/C...

They tell me you can't produce more than 200 (maybe not even that) with an N/A tC...I kinda want to prove them wrong as to slap them all across the face and say I told you so >D...just something I want to do now haha...

As of now:

AW Header
Invidia Down Pipe
Custom Mid 30" Resonator
TRD Axle Back
Injen CAI

In the mail:
Greddy Emanage+Dezod plug and play harness (going to tune at Church's Orange County)
Called up Crower in San Diego to get new cams ground out to my specs
Full Pully set from NST coming shortly as well...

Are there any another improvments I can make for the time being WITHOUT replacing my existing? I know the Axle back is not the best but I like its sound and how quiet it is...

I want to break 200 no problem...With these mods I think I can.

I will be looking into Port and Polish soon as well...

What do you all think? Hopefully I can get a dyno chart this weekend if the emanage arrives on time...
Old 06-26-2007, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might need this:

Best of luck though for sure. And obviously let us know where you end up.

Have you done any sort of baseline dyno yet? Or before you added what you already have? Or are you just interested in the end results?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Old 06-26-2007, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default pictures

lol ^^

Those are mostly shots of body. I don't have any interior work done really. I am not too big on that stuff...

I have not done any dyno testing as of yet because I wanted to spend the cash on more modding before I would test. I figured I would get an idea once I get the emanage...
Old 06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, they are right, it is hard to get more than 200 whp out of a n/a tc.

maybe if you could do some old fashion displacement up, bore and stroke, and put in some high compression pistons and run it on 93 octane, you might break the 200 whp ceiling. but it is hard and expensive for such little pay off.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

gah its so distressing to hear that =(

I want to push above 210 on the tC...

seems that it is more feasible with S/C then =/
Old 06-26-2007, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bah, don't waste time with a stinking trd supercharger, if you goal is just 210 whp, get a zpi stage 0 kit. good price, great performance. 230 whp. just get it tuned.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

it can be done

but it will cost u
Old 06-26-2007, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

wont a S/C have better power across the whole band as well as near 230 with my other mods?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

post a dyno chart when you're done but i will guess 185-190 at the wheels with all that. which should still be pretty quick.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber

maybe if you could do some old fashion displacement up, bore and stroke, and put in some high compression pistons and run it on 93 octane, you might break the 200 whp ceiling. but it is hard and expensive for such little pay off.
That's because there are no cams available yet. With the set-up you have in mind, 200 should be no problem. TC Pete has 180 something without cams.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcengel

That's because there are no cams available yet. With the set-up you have in mind, 200 should be no problem. TC Pete has 180 something without cams.
yea we need cams and also an intake manifold to get more n/a power out of our cars. we don't have all the aftermarket support that honda has yet.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ecu piggyback + tune?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its really not that hard just expensive. I am pushing a little over 160 to the wheels now with just bold ons and emanage. If I were to get a built head (port and polished, 3 angle valve job, over-sized valves, and a cam) then I get high compression pistons I would easily be over 200 to the wheels. If someone were to re-sleave their block to 92mm, install a built head with oversized valves and a better cam, and run high compression pistons, and a standalone. I could see someone getting 250 at the wheels but that would probably be it. But for something like this I am sure you would spend at least 6k if not more.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Im tryin to achieve the same goal, well at least 180-190 would make me happy, great info we just need dynos now
Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by anurok
wont a S/C have better power across the whole band as well as near 230 with my other mods?
supercharges tend to have a good power band but turbo's will always make more power.. and im not knockin superchargers but the TRD is junk..you will replace more S/C then you think. my friend is on number 2 and it was liek 4500 miles or some crap like thats. it rediculous hes thinkin of sellin it takin a lose and gettin stage 1 zpi, im thinkin hard on the zpi 0 but i just bough a header and intake so ill suck it up for a year..
Old 07-01-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get flywheel, and a stiffy or the zpi engine limiter. Will not add hp, but will help with acceleration and help with wheel hop.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: pictures

Originally Posted by anurok
lol ^^

are those Evo-style vortex tabs I see at the top of your hatch? I have the larger, truck type AirTabs on the trailing edge of my sunroof... actually did some old-school NASA like testing to see where best to put them lol - turns out that while I really don't have any evidence they do what they are supposed to do - reduce drag - the tabs have substantially reduced the vibration my sunroof experiences when open at high speed. the sunroof can be open to it's second notch at 90mph or higher and barely vibrate at all now unlike before when it would begin to shake and rattle at speeds as low as 75, so I know they are doing something.

if this qualifies as a threadjack... i apologize lol
Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

na will get more respect
Old 07-08-2007, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member

A fully balanced crankshaft, Smaller more powerful battery, grounding kit, ITB's(individual Throttle bodies) are they available for the Tc's yet? Ported head, a y-pipe???? i ran that on my old eg. Helped ALOT! but then again i had k20 on ITB's.

Quick Reply: Beating a dead horse...the NA Journey