Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Best Ways to Gain HP

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member

Default Best Ways to Gain HP

I'm a kid and love tCs and I'm getting a used one for my first car.
I really like the car but a few friends I've asked about it that have it said its great except it's pretty slow.
I have give or take about 750-1000 dollars to spend extra to do some work on it and I'm just wondering what's the best ways to increase hp/torque.

I was thinking of getting a new exhaust kit, a performance chip and a cool air intake but that's just my opinion and I'm not amazing with stuff like this so I would love other peoples opinions and an approx cost.

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-18-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-06-2009, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Slow compared to what? An Evo or STI or something? Ya, sure is slow compared to that. But a general statement of "it's pretty slow" means next to nothing. I have no real issue with the tC's power. It's an < $20k econo car... not a supercar.

As for power - the best way to get any real power is to boost it... but you're not even going to come close to that with $1k. An exhaust will get you next to nothing unless you do the header and the ENTIRE exhaust - but then you're probably going to have to have some custom work to get a resonator added since it will sound like crap. You MIGHT get 10-15whp out of a full header/exhaust... maybe a tiny bit more.

You could also add a lightweight crank pulley or an underdrive crank pulley. Either of these would help with throttle response/acceleration. But they don't really "add" horsepower. Just free some up from the other accessories your crank is turning.

You're going to have to be more specific on "performance chip" though... STAY AWAY FROM EBAY CHIPS. You could look into a Unichip.. but you're going to be $400 or more just for that and won't really see an incredible gain from it.

The intake will be mostly for sound. You might technically get 4-5whp from one, but it won't be as noticeable as you might think.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Slow compared to what? An Evo or STI or something? Ya, sure is slow compared to that. But a general statement of "it's pretty slow" means next to nothing. I have no real issue with the tC's power. It's an < $20k econo car... not a supercar.

As for power - the best way to get any real power is to boost it... but you're not even going to come close to that with $1k. An exhaust will get you next to nothing unless you do the header and the ENTIRE exhaust - but then you're probably going to have to have some custom work to get a resonator added since it will sound like crap. You MIGHT get 10-15whp out of a full header/exhaust... maybe a tiny bit more.

You could also add a lightweight crank pulley or an underdrive crank pulley. Either of these would help with throttle response/acceleration. But they don't really "add" horsepower. Just free some up from the other accessories your crank is turning.

You're going to have to be more specific on "performance chip" though... STAY AWAY FROM EBAY CHIPS. You could look into a Unichip.. but you're going to be $400 or more just for that and won't really see an incredible gain from it.

The intake will be mostly for sound. You might technically get 4-5whp from one, but it won't be as noticeable as you might think.
Werd thats what i was thinking. we're awesome
Old 08-06-2009, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is the tC auto?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh ya, personally I'd get it to handle better before adding any power to it. But that's just me... lowering springs (if it doesn't already have them) and a rear sway bar will do wonders.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would have said that but i thought he just wanted power, get the hotchkis TVS kit, then exhaust, intake, or pulley.. with that 750-1000
Old 08-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

bolt ons=pointless and stupid. youll spend about 400/500 on a good catback, 200/300 on a header 200/300 on a CAI 200 on sum pulleys and ur car still wont break 160/165hp. theres no point in even buying bolt ons, but i would get an exhaust jus for nicer sound.

id rather spend that 750-1000 and work on making the car handle better. springs/swaybars etc. and if ur a 5spd get a short throw shifter.

and wtf is a performance chip? no such thing. now if u had a german car thats a different story
Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You want the BEST way for speed with that amount of money? nitrous...

Get a decent nitrous wet kit for around 500 or 600... and use the rest on getting a cold air intake, header, and exhaust... look for used intakes, headers, and exhausts here on this forum, get the nitrous kit new....

Pulleys work really well too... if you add all of what i mentioned above, you will see over 200 wheel horsepower depending on the size of ur nitrous shot...

I'm an auto with header, cold air intake, NST pulleys, S-pipe, Exhaust, and 65 shot nitrous... I'm seeing 200 or over wheel when I spray.. and even higher torque... if ur manual youll see a bit more than that... you'll TOAST V6 mustangs with that setup

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-18-2019 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Put your Lips around the Throttle Body and BLOW!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toasting a v6 mustang isnt an accomplishment.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdis3
Toasting a v6 mustang isnt an accomplishment.

Not at all.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spend your money on a good suspension setup then start saving for a S/C or Turbo.

_________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-18-2019 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

The v6 stang is merely the v8s retarded little brother with two bum knees and a hunch back.

Your young, its your first car... make it look cool, lower it put a TRD exhaust for a little snap in the noise department, and you're good to go. I would be more concerned about picking up some gals at your age than comparing wieners with other kids on the road.

Perhaps thats just me though.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RCZDesigns
The v6 stang is merely the v8s retarded little brother with two bum knees and a hunch back.

Your young, its your first car... make it look cool, lower it put a TRD exhaust for a little snap in the noise department, and you're good to go. I would be more concerned about picking up some gals at your age than comparing wieners with other kids on the road.

Perhaps thats just me though.
Lol, very well put.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Actually, he'll gain 5-10whp but lose wtq. I know this because I've seen the dyno's of tCs with exhaust and intake (only) and have less torque than stock.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rosedaleny806
bolt ons=pointless and stupid. you'll spend about 400/500 on a good catback, 200/300 on a header 200/300 on a CAI 200 on sum pulleys and ur car still wont break 160/165hp. there's no point in even buying bolt ons, but i would get an exhaust just for nicer sound. I'd rather spend that 750-1000 and work on making the car handle better. springs/swaybars etc. and if ur a 5spd get a short throw shifter. And wtf is a performance chip? no such thing. now if u had a German car that's a different story
Please don't listen to this naysayer my young friend. Plenty of horsepower can be had by bolt-ons. He does have a good point, the TRD rear-sway bar makes a HUGE difference in handling and is def great bang for the buck, but if you do, in fact, care a little bit about beating those V-6 Mustangs, then you can get quite a boost for $1000. I personally plan on going forced induction (turbo or supercharger) soon, but in the mean time I've made my tC significantly faster with a few bolt-ons. Here they are with the prices I got them for:

Injen CAI --$260
NST pulleys (Crank, water-pump, and alternator) --$220
DC headers --$305
Nvidia S-pipe $100
Ark DTS exhaust $380
Descendant Intake Manifold w/Plenum --$600
Unichip plug n play $450

All tolled I've gained around 45hp and I've got the Dyno charts to prove it. Obviously this set-up costs more than $1000, but you can prob scoop up at least the first 3 items on the list. Save the chip for last because the more performance mods you have, the better it works as it tunes the car to work with your mods.
The chip is good for 12 to 15 horsepower to the wheels at sea level (high oxygen density), I get about 8 to 10 up here at altitude. Also important to think about are 3 items that don't add any horsepower, but will still make you a l'il faster. They are:

1) The Energy Suspension engine bushings, which get more of your engine's power to the ground and reduce wheel-hop. They run about $65

2) A shortshifter. I personally have the TRD shortshifter which takes about 30% off the throw of the stock one. Helps you shift much quicker and keep the revs higher

3) Ingalls Engine Torque Dampener. Has a similar effect as the engine bushings and also gets more power to the ground

Lastly, do NOT put Nitrous Oxide on your car as one guy suggested. It's highly illegal to even have it hooked up to your engine while driving on the road in most states. If this is your first car, NOS is the last thing you want to think about, you've got a lot of driving experience you need to get under your belt first, or else you stand a very very good chance of having a wreck, damaging your engine, getting arrested, or maybe even all three at the same time. Leave that to the guys in the Fast & Furious movies until you've been in the game for at least 5 or 6 years. Anyways, I hope my 2 cents helps, keep asking questions, keep doing your own research, and keep practicing your performance driving in a safe and controlled environment like an open parking lot or a track.
Good luck!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-18-2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-07-2009, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Dynos please.......the base at wheels is around 120hp so you are now at 165hp......lot of money for not much.......if you put it all on to enjoy the points at shows then great but the gains for the dollar are not really worth the cost.

Yes, I know I have just about everything on that list in one form or another and my car Dyno was 167hp. Lots of money spent and I got very little and it was an automatic, and I have no standalone tune. But it sure looks and sounds nice.

For the original poster if you want the car to go fast go Boost.......if you want it to handle,which is the first thing you should try get coils and brakes and suspension......then try to go fast.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-18-2019 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 08-07-2009, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
dynos please.......the base at wheels is around 120hp.
Stock whp for a manual tC is 142whp. Where u getting this 120 from?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders85

Lastly, do NOT put Nitrous Oxide on your car as one guy suggested. It's highly illegal to even have it hooked up to your engine while driving on the road in most states.

Any part that is meant for offroad use (header, intake, turbo, etc..) is going to be illegal..so what's your point..?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not everywhere, they just say that cuz some states (Cali) you cant have certain exhaust mods.

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-18-2019 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge

Quick Reply: Best Ways to Gain HP