Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Black smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Black smoke

So today I found out I have no oil in the motor and my car is running rich and black smoke is coming out of my exhaust. I recently emptied out the main cat by the headers and I don't know if it is that or is it something else. I have 200 more miles to go before I reach the every 3000 mile oil change. Can someone please help before the motor goes to god knows where? And where can I find oem headers with the cat on them?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SlverPnda
So today I found out I have no oil in the motor and my car is running rich and black smoke is coming out of my exhaust. I recently emptied out the main cat by the headers and I don't know if it is that or is it something else. I have 200 more miles to go before I reach the every 3000 mile oil change. Can someone please help before the motor goes to god knows where? And where can I find oem headers with the cat on them?

What do you mean by "I have no oil..."???? If you have no oil, then you better get some oil. lol
Old 08-18-2012, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know why it's all gone. Has this ever happened to anyone? I drove 500 miles past the 3000 mile mark and it was still there.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know why it's all gone. Has this ever happened to anyone? I drove 500 miles past the 3000 mile mark and it was still there.

You need to get an oil change now. Like right now. If you have no oil, you need to borrow a car and go buy oil at your nearest auto-store. Put the oil in until it's filled to the right mark, then make an appointment to get an oil change at your dealership and/or nearest oil change area for as soon as possible. You might have already caused extreme damage, I'm sorry to say.

EDIT: I ignored the real problem... you have a leak somewhere. You HAVE to be burning oil. Have to. That's probably what is causing the black smoke?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will look at it. I emptied the cat last week before check engine light went off
Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will look at it. I emptied the cat last week before check engine light went off

What does the cat have to do with leaking oil? Do you not understand the importance of having oil to lubricate your engine? Sure sounds like it.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have time to check under my car lately. I got hired at a factory working 6 days a week and coming home with no energy.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have time to check under my car lately. I got hired at a factory working 6 days a week and coming home with no energy.

Well, just know that you are running the risk of severely damaging your engine... If you haven't already. I hope you figure out the problem! Good luck!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was told. Hopefully the problem wont be bad and i can get it fixed quick.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have time to replace your whole engine then????? Youll be walking to your new factory job soon enough.

What your talking is just being lazy and/or stupid. No offense meant to you but if you dont "have enough energy" to put oil in your car and maintain it, it will cost you BIG TIME. I promise you that you not fixing a leak, and either leaking or burning that much oil will leave your motor damaged, ruined, and will ruin the life of your motor. Anyone on here would agree with that.

I dont care how "tired" you are, if you dont address this like right now, your next posts are going to be "where can I get a new engine" or "does anyone want to buy a car with a blown motor".

Are you noticing any oil leakage in your car under the motor? Or are you blowing smoke out of your exhaust?

Put oil in your car right away. Take a big cardboard box and slide it UNDER your motor (on the ground) and see where its pooling up at. There is no way your burning that much oil, its got to be leaking from somewhere. We are trying to help you here, but you have to also help yourself.

Please fix your car. You dont want to end up stranded, or leak oil all over the road either.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
Do you have time to replace your whole engine then????? Youll be walking to your new factory job soon enough.

What your talking is just being lazy and/or stupid. No offense meant to you but if you dont "have enough energy" to put oil in your car and maintain it, it will cost you BIG TIME. I promise you that you not fixing a leak, and either leaking or burning that much oil will leave your motor damaged, ruined, and will ruin the life of your motor. Anyone on here would agree with that.

I dont care how "tired" you are, if you dont address this like right now, your next posts are going to be "where can I get a new engine" or "does anyone want to buy a car with a blown motor".

Are you noticing any oil leakage in your car under the motor? Or are you blowing smoke out of your exhaust?

Put oil in your car right away. Take a big cardboard box and slide it UNDER your motor (on the ground) and see where its pooling up at. There is no way your burning that much oil, its got to be leaking from somewhere. We are trying to help you here, but you have to also help yourself.

Please fix your car. You dont want to end up stranded, or leak oil all over the road either.

I agree with this.. I really hope you can prioritize and get everything fixed up. Also, no joke, it's very dangerous to leak oil on highways and roads.. Light rain and oil is a very dangerous mixture for other drivers (and yourself).
Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I'm gonna do the oil change tomorrow. Hopefully it will fix everything. If not I gotta find the damn leak somewhere. Anyone know where I can find oem headers?
Old 08-19-2012, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Put some oil in it now so its not too late by tomorrow....check the classifieds
Old 08-19-2012, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same thing is happening to me, but its blue smoke coming out of my exhaust, My piston rings are stacked and oil is getting past them, which is causing the smoke. My mechanic said its too far gone to repair and that i need a new motor, but im just getting a new car..
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put oil in the motor yesterday and my buddy cleared the check engine light. Today as I was driving to school my check engine light went off and it started burning oil again :/ why? dhooks90 looks like we are both in the similar situation but I gotta see what the mechanic will say. If it's a new motor than I will be sad. I never beat on it really or do burnouts or that crap. Sometimes I downshift to catch a yellow light before red and that's about it. I always changed the oil every 3000 miles and one time I only went 500 miles past change but changed it right away.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What code is your car throwing?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will find out and let you guys know shortly.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So when I went to the mechanic the code popped up as the cat. Nothing else and I have no idea why how oil can be burning.. Car is for sale :/
Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there some reason why you would sell the car rather than replace the motor? Motors run about 900 USD for a low mile example. There's one at Krugger Auto LLC right now at that price.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What code?

Quick Reply: Black smoke