Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Brief hesitation. Drive by Wire issue? Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brief hesitation. Drive by Wire issue? Normal?

I've been feeling a very brief hesitation on acceleration if I accelerate quickly, as soon as the car starts moving. The hesitation is not felt if I accelerate at a slower rate or at any other time while driving. Only as soon as the car starts to move. Feels a lot like DBW. Is the DBW system problematic on the TC? or is what Im feeling normal for quick accelerations from a stop? Doesnt seem like it as I havent felt this in the past. Im still somewhat new to these cars and still learning what their common problems are. I searched and only a handful of threads about DBW popped up. Thanks

Last edited by mc1114; 07-28-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the DBW system does not seem to be very problematic from what I've read. Today at a stoplight the car accelerated fine for a split second, then there was no acceleration for literally a full 2 seconds before it picked up again, so now I know there's a problem. Since this issue right now happens very rarely, I may just wait until it gets worse and hopefully it will trigger a code. If anyone has any other insight let me know
Old 07-31-2015, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mc1114
So the DBW system does not seem to be very problematic from what I've read. Today at a stoplight the car accelerated fine for a split second, then there was no acceleration for literally a full 2 seconds before it picked up again, so now I know there's a problem. Since this issue right now happens very rarely, I may just wait until it gets worse and hopefully it will trigger a code. If anyone has any other insight let me know
No there aren't any issues with the DBW/Throttle body from a design standpoint. The bogging down you are feeling could be a couple of things, so check yours for the following..

1- dirty/gummed up throttle body throat/plate. If that is gummed up then the DC motor won't be able to move the throttle body, and that could lead to a delay in acceleration..

2- Dirty MAF sensor.. take it out, clean it with CRC's MAF sensor cleaner (works very well, can also use this cleaner on the throttle body/plate)

3- When is the last time the spark plugs were changed? If over 100k miles, replace with NGK part 4589, laser iridium.

4- Check the transmission fluid if it's an automatic.. If the fluid is lower than max, then it won't be able to build pressure. The auto trans fluid (ATF) is also a hydraulic fluid that helps the transmission shift, which is also acceleration.. If you see an RPM flare up, then the car moves.. that's a trans issue.

Check all things, and I bet you find one of those issues.. keep us posted.

Also, I have no problems hitting the gas from a stop and it taking off immediately, and quickly I've had issues before and it was always a dirty MAF sensor or throttle body/plate/throat.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The plugs are not original and I changed the ATF with OEM fluid when I purchased it. I did clean the TB and MAF (had a high idle after this but fixed it when an PCM reset). I have not felt the extended hesitation anymore but still feel a very brief one if I accelerate quickly. Dont know if this is the normal annoying hesitation typical of a DBW system or if there's something wrong with the car. I'll have to test drive the next TC that comes into the shop