Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

CAI/Exhaust combo

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default CAI/Exhaust combo

I'm looking at getting a cai and exhaust on my fmp tc. What do you guys suggest for both, and what size exhaust, 3"?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the K&N CAI and TRD exhaust. I am very happy with the performance and sound. Did a dyno on it and was pulling 150.1Hp at the wheels. I am sure there are better exhausts out there. Mine came with the car.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really want to know how the Injen CAI and Injen exhaust will sound together.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The TRD is NOT an exhaust, it's only a axleback. You're probably gainging like a HP from it..if that.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Dude that is an exhaust kit... I would say go with a short ram intake b/c you'll loose your low end tourqe with the CAI.

If you are going for the hp get the full exhaust kit from creativecompacts.com
Old 06-23-2005, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

150 from the k&n and trd exhaust? that's really not bad. dyno's of stock tc's were pushing 140hp. the k&n is supposed to be around 6hp. that means the trd pushed 4. i heard that it pushes like 3-4hp, but never saw a dyno of it. dealerships try and tell u that the trd exhaust will give like 6-7hp, but that's a dealership. ken from trdsparks told me around 3-4hp tops. i have the trd exhaust also, but it'll be gone tomorrow. my Creatvice Compacts full catback just got here tonight. can't wait to get that thing in. i'm gonna not even go out tonight just to make sure i can be up early to do it. can't go out and get trashed and sleep till 3-although with a day off, it's tempting.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellot00tr
150 from the k&n and trd exhaust? that's really not bad. dyno's of stock tc's were pushing 140hp. the k&n is supposed to be around 6hp. that means the trd pushed 4. i heard that it pushes like 3-4hp, but never saw a dyno of it. dealerships try and tell u that the trd exhaust will give like 6-7hp, but that's a dealership. ken from trdsparks told me around 3-4hp tops. i have the trd exhaust also, but it'll be gone tomorrow. my Creatvice Compacts full catback just got here tonight. can't wait to get that thing in. i'm gonna not even go out tonight just to make sure i can be up early to do it. can't go out and get trashed and sleep till 3-although with a day off, it's tempting.
Awesome. PM me when you get that thing put in. I want to know how the sound is and if it really pulls like they say it does. Get some pics up to if you can also.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tckurt
Dude that is an exhaust kit... I would say go with a short ram intake b/c you'll loose your low end tourqe with the CAI.

If you are going for the hp get the full exhaust kit from creativecompacts.com
Agreed-

Weapon R Secret Weapon Short Ram Intake
ZPI 2.5" S-Pipe
Creative Compacts 2.5" SS Full Cat-Back w/ Magnaflow Muffler and Hi-flow Cat

One _____in' system right there. Total cost if you install yourself ~$900.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Question i wanted to get a CAI too (more or less the injen because it can convert to a SR) but i dont know how a SR works. Doesnt it get to hot pulling the air up there??? Can it cause a problem with overheating???? I am a little new a this so bare with me!!! Please fill me in anyone!!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
Question i wanted to get a CAI too (more or less the injen because it can convert to a SR) but i dont know how a SR works. Doesnt it get to hot pulling the air up there??? Can it cause a problem with overheating???? I am a little new a this so bare with me!!! Please fill me in anyone!!
If the car is at idle, the ambient temps under the hood can rise pretty quickly and can differ alot between the SRI position and CAI position's in the fender. Once the car is moving though, the temps between the two locations don't vary much at all. Will the car overheat at standstill, no, but the SRI won't be at full efficiency. But that's not much of an issue since either style intake doesn't provide much power until you're in the upper RPM ranges anyway.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
If the car is at idle, the ambient temps under the hood can rise pretty quickly and can differ alot between the SRI position and CAI position's in the fender. Once the car is moving though, the temps between the two locations don't vary much at all. Will the car overheat at standstill, no, but the SRI won't be at full efficiency. But that's not much of an issue since either style intake doesn't provide much power until you're in the upper RPM ranges anyway.
So which one should i go with because i am up in the air now......and what is the difference with a cold air box??? is that something different??? Decisions Decisions!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The cold air box is supposed to prevent the heat soak of the filter while the car is at a standstill, at what airflow sacrifice I'm not sure. Basically it all comes down to preference, you lose a little low-end torque with the CAI but there is no heatsoak issue. There's a danger of hydrolock with a CAI opposed to a SRI albeit the odds are slim. Personally I love the look of the Weapon R so once I have the cash, that will be my choice. K&N/Injen all fine and whatnot but installation and cleaning the filter is a _____ so that influenced my choice as well.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
The cold air box is supposed to prevent the heat soak of the filter while the car is at a standstill, at what airflow sacrifice I'm not sure. Basically it all comes down to preference, you lose a little low-end torque with the CAI but there is no heatsoak issue. There's a danger of hydrolock with a CAI opposed to a SRI albeit the odds are slim. Personally I love the look of the Weapon R so once I have the cash, that will be my choice. K&N/Injen all fine and whatnot but installation and cleaning the filter is a _____ so that influenced my choice as well.
Okay so if i go the SRI way then i dont need a cold air box and it will be fine by it self and still give good increases while keeping more low end torque then the CAI.....Then i guess i will go with the SRI....The sound is good too right.....im big on sound...i love the whistle
Old 06-23-2005, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look at this i ran a few temp tests back about 2 weeks ago.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=829628#829628
Old 06-23-2005, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

get injen CAI combined with an HKS or GREDDY tip and just get custom 2.5 inch piping and it will come out cheaper that the whole pre bent and cut kit.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by acasanova

So heatsoak wouldnt be a problem with the SRI....not exactly sure how it works and what happens if there is heatsoak???? I like your test. Thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So heatsoak wouldnt be a problem with the SRI....not exactly sure how it works and what happens if there is heatsoak???? I like your test. Thanks
It is a problem if the vehicle is at idle for a while, but once in motion there should be no difference in performance.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Can you explain what heatsoak does and what problems it can cause.....Sorry for all the questions but i really want an intake and now probably will go with the SRI!!
Old 06-23-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So let me get this straight...you were going 60mph, holding the thermo readout with one hand, and taking a picture with the other? I need to make sure I'm not on the road the same time you are!
jk
Old 06-23-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by qbanplaya91
get injen CAI combined with an HKS or GREDDY tip and just get custom 2.5 inch piping and it will come out cheaper that the whole pre bent and cut kit.

I have the Injen CAI. We will be going with the HKS catback for the exhaust option.

FOR EVERYONE wondering about the Injen CAI, swing over to my thread called "It's Finally Here". I have pics, video, and my conclusion.

Quick Reply: CAI/Exhaust combo