Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Camcon TC Dyno sheet makes 12 whp *pics added 56K warn*

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Camcon TC Dyno sheet makes 12 whp *pics added 56K warn*

Due to the high temperatures in Arizona, above optimum ambient temperature, altitude and Dyno’s, the overall whp published will vary from prior TC reports. Please keep in mind that this is to present the gains the CAMCON can improve your performance on a mostly stock TC. Please DO NOT be overly critical on the top whp, only that on an even playing field the whp top line numbers and gains would be similar.

Conditions
State: Arizona
Altitude: 1500 above sea level
Humidity: 10%
Shop: Dyno Comp 2 Scottsdale Arizona
Dyno: Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer nicknamed the “heart breaker”
Outside Temperature in the shade: 104 degrees
Shop ambient temperature: 93 degrees
Hood closed
Pump Gas: 91 Octane no boosters.

SCION tC 05,
Intake: Stock, NO CAI
Header: DC Sports
Exhaust: DC Sports axle back
Wheels: Stock 17” with Potenza factory tires.

We have three final runs on the chart

RED: Starting base line, Stock intake, (NO CAI), Header: DC Sports, Exhaust: DC Sports axle back, Wheels: Stock 17” with Potenza factory tires.

BLUE: Final tuning of Camcon, with outside temperature of 103 degrees, 1 ˝ hours of tuning and 46 pulls on the dyno. Engine heat saturation was two high as we continued to see a decrease in whp as the session went on. Pat from Power Enterprise experienced the same issue on the test Celica and was required to allow the car to cool down for several hours.

GREEN: Final run after cool down, a second session was performed the following day. The outside temperature is 88 with an ambient temperature of 85 degrees. The tC was allowed to cool to normal operating temperature. Three pulls were made laying down three identical passes. The whp increased across the entire bandwidth with a consistent and smooth response. The torque bandwidth also showed significant gains especially in the low/mid power band.

On average a 6 to 7 whp from 3000 to 4500 RPM with high band of 12 whp increase between 4500 and 5500 RPM and a slight roll off until red line.

The CAMCON, simple to install with easy tuning, excellent gains for the money and a must have mod to those looking for additional whp.

http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/

Old 05-27-2005, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nice write-up. i'm definitely gonna pick one of these up.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes i agree; great write-up
Old 05-27-2005, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You might want to check this out. He has a group buy discount until the end of the month:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...hlight=#799967

ScottsdaleTC: Thanks for the dyno and the Research!
Old 05-27-2005, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great job, thanks for being the guinea pig for us 2AZ owners. Will you be releasing the adjustments that you made to the public so that others can do a similar configuration? Also, did you make changes to just the A/F or both the A/F and cam phasing?
Old 05-27-2005, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nice. Maybe the next mod.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would be great if someone sold pretuned Camcons for the TC, it wouldn't be perfect for everyones car, but would at least be a great starting point to do a little fine tuning or none at all if you can't get to a dyno soon.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in if I can get it pretuned. Thanks for doing the dyno.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did not release the cam timing and A/F mixture settings as they would only be relevant to a 2.4 VVTI with the same modifications. Geo-location, altitude, humidity and all-year-around air temperatures will impact the settings. Thought they may get you in the ball park you will need to schedule dyno time to do it right. I will have more data and pictures posted for review.

A/F, not much changed here on the bottom and top end, only the mid band had a few ticks in the plus range. Since the TC only has down stream modifications from the head (header/axle back) this increased exhaust efficiency. Thought I am holding out for the AEM CAI, the incoming air flow is limited by the stock intake filter and box. I suspect that when the CAI is installed the A/F will need to be recalibrated. The A/F would apply when the stock air box is no longer being used, the CAI and short ram’s offered on the market will increase airflow, volume and reduce restrictive filters.

Timing, let’s say we start at -12 degrees swing to +5, +10 and then on the top end pull back down to -10 and -15. It is s wild ride and not knowing what the stock ECU MAP is this may account for the swings. The stock ECU is programmed for the best efficiency and gas mileage, the Camcon is counter acting the stock MAP. Turning the Camcon off now becomes a “bypass” and the factory settings apply. It is like writing your own map, when you need it turn on the Camcon, when not turn it off and return to stock settings.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoa.

So say you get your modifications done and tune the camcom for the best power gain. Then you can just turn it off and go back to more effcient gas milage for daily driving? Turn it back on for the weekend when you might want more power?

Is it that easy as turning it on and off? If so I might just be sold on this.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct, a simple power switch on the device, it is small, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. This is an inline unit that taps into the factory ECU, the values that you have tuned are either adding or subtracting form the factory MAP signal as it controls the engine.

This will apply to ALL VVTI and VVTL engines, yes the Box and XA owners have the same playing field. They will also have the ability to adjust cam and airflow.

ATTN Super mods: Since this product is applicable to all SCION owners and not just the TC I may have posted this in the wrong section and not given everyone the same opportunity to see the advantage of the Camcon. Your thoughts?
Old 05-27-2005, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome! I'm glad someone finally took the time to run a dyno sheet on this product. I knew I wanted something to pick up a little more power and this seems to be the biggest reliable gain for the money. I'm going to have to sell some blood so I can afford one of my own. Mods, please move this to a general category so everyone sees it!

Old 05-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thank you for this incredible write up. I would offer them pretuned, but with the variations in modifications to individuals cars, it wouldnt work for everyone. Its better to tune yourself...

As Omar said above, I am running a group buy on these through the end of the month for 325 + shipping. After the end of the month, they are going up to 375 + shipping.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks like a pretty good gain in power accross the band. does anyone else have one of these units with similar results?
Old 05-29-2005, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is this an auto?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Opps, I thought I remembered everything, it is a manual and all pulls were made in third gear.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so we can add these part just like it were a intake..nothing extra needed...no prem gas...etc
Old 05-29-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd be interested to see if you could tune it to advanced the timing and take advantage of premium gas
Old 05-29-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$$$?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't believe it's released yet. i could be wrong though.

Quick Reply: Camcon TC Dyno sheet makes 12 whp *pics added 56K warn*