Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cams for Scions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cams for Scions!

Hey guys. How are you all today!

Well for those of you that dont know my name is Ryan and I work for Stripper Motorsports, in Michigan.

I like you am a Scion owner myself, owning a BSP 06 tC and SR 06 xA.

My tC is on its way to being parts and pieces because I plan to do an engine rebuild, along with Stripper Motorsports doing a rebuild on a freinds xA. While we have these engines apart we are have custom Cams made for them.

I am hear to see who would be interested in a cam for your tC, xA, or xB.

We are looking to just gather interest as of now and then probably in a month or so get something started if we have enough interest.

Currently we have the worlds fastest Trailblazer SS, the 5th fastest Syclone which is now being rebuilt and will be the fastest, and working on the Scion tC and xA to make the fastest, and lastly a 95 Eagle Talon which we plan to make the fastest!

We like to go fast !!

SO anywho, please post up wat you think about these cams and if you would be interested.

thanks
Ryan
Old 09-27-2006, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The intrest is there, but from prior experinces the gains arent really worth the costs from what ive been told. Sorry this isnt VTEC where you can get hella gains just from changing out your cams.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres us HUGE interest in cam for this car. however most of the work will need to be done controlling the timing which is what give us our downfall. BUT if you develope a good power producing CAM. i would defenitely purchase it lol..
Old 09-27-2006, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ya I don't see (from what I've read) how something could be made that would perform well and not completely destroy gas mileage. That being said I would love to be wrong.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
theres us HUGE interest in cam for this car. however most of the work will need to be done controlling the timing which is what give us our downfall. BUT if you develope a good power producing CAM. i would defenitely purchase it lol..
Bingo.

VVTI timing advancement has a huge range, something like 60 degrees. If there's no way to keep this in check with a larger lift and duration, the results can be catastrophic.

However, I don't know how the ECU monitors the effects of timing adjustment other than knock/AFR sensors... In addition, even small changes to the cam profile should make halfway decent power when combined with the ECU's monitoring.

I'd be sure you guys test the crap out of it before release
Old 09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would be nice, but the whole VVT-i setup is just not something I would want to mess with. VTEC on the other hand, now that's easier. Just sucks that we gain on the intake side while VTECs gain on both intake and exhaust.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gotta love our dbw!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:34 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dbw?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah lots of people want cams for the tC, but if the gains are verry minimum and the costs is going to be high, forget it.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

drive by wire... but an electronic throttle doesn't affect the timing. at most it'll give you a throttle delay
Old 09-27-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd be interested..do you guys have any ideas how much the cam will cost.. price range that is... i know there a VVTI controller out there that can be used to control the timing.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The cams are all going to be special order / custom grinds. Specs of the cam will be determined for the engine application that they are going to fit. Basically you tell us what you have done to the car and engine and we will spec a cam to accordingly fit your application. Once we get some real world testing in our cars we will start to offer shelf cams that can be used in common set ups for the cars that they fit.

Also until we take it out and see what we can do we wot have an idea, obviously hoping to low cost high gain but will keep you informed as it progress. Just wanted to see the interest in it!

Hope that clear things up a little for you.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cam pricing usually stays under 500 unless you wana be a baller and get some toda or stage 2+ type cams which by then you will need up upgrade your valve train and tear into the head.

the key thing to keep in mind is going to be controlling the vvti. once you have mastered controlling the degree of the lobes then i would suggest goin deeping in creating a bigger lift.

i guess it will come down to how much the cams will cost and how much will be needed there after to support the new cams. IE: timing control and fuel control.

i would rather see development into a new intake manifold then cams. but if you guys can do custom grinds and make some ponies then more power to you!.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

RippMods is testing a cam specifically for the TRD f-trim SC in my car right now. Nets some pretty impressive gains. They're working on a stage 2 right now that will also make up for the torque loss incorporated with headers.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Watching, there is intrest. But i also agree with TCpete about the intake manifold.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you might as well sell staged heads if you're going to go the route of changing the cams with valvetrain. I'd like to see some more head options.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you go too big on duration or lift the vvti could cause you to bend intake vavles depending on what kind of timing the computer puts to the intake cam.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deathbyc4
you might as well sell staged heads if you're going to go the route of changing the cams with valvetrain. I'd like to see some more head options.
+1. Some new cams and head options would be nice.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default re:

I'd be deff intrested
Old 09-27-2006, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very interested, would need specs and results before I droped that kind of doe first.

Quick Reply: Cams for Scions!