Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cant Engage Gears in 5speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Default Cant Engage Gears in 5speed

Hey all I need some HELP asap!! I got in my car tonight after a full day of moving and started her up. I was in first gear and when I turned her over she lurched almost like as stalling, but my foot was fully on the clutch. I popped her into neutral and she evened out. Drove her 25 miles home and not a single issue on the road. Stopped for juice and cookies {yes... juice and cookies} and when I went back out to come home she refuses to go into gear. If she is off I can run the gears without any issue.. if however I have her on {started in N} she will not let me shift into any gear. I GENTLY attempted to force reverse and the level of grinding made me stop immediately. I looked under the car, and around the bay, no leaks, drips, runs, or spots. I park in the same place every night and pretty much every day and have seen NOTHING that would point me in that direction {fluid issue}

I have a job interview at 9am monday morning and I CANT!!! miss it. Help Guys or I am screwed.

Oh and cause I know people will ask. In the 2+ years I have had this car I have never launched her hard, infact I dont think I have ever raced off a light track or street. She has a little over 34k on the odo and driven hard yes, but cared for like a new born baby. The other thing to mention upfront is that I have not felt her slipping at all during gear shifts. No lag or hesitation when engaging the gear of choice.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be wonderful...
Old 08-30-2009, 06:17 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

hmmm it could be ur synchros are going bad or jus ur whole tranny is shot. Have u ever changed the tranny oil?

most likely its definatly ur synchros, ur gonna have to take it to the dealership ASAP before ur warranty expires.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does the clutch feel spongy at all, ask a friend to look at the slave cylinder, does it move when u step on the clutch? if it does then its something inside ur tranny, if it doesnt then its ur master cylinder or slave cylinder, which is a lot cheaper to do at home
Old 08-30-2009, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Changed the Trans fluid to mobile one around..... 25k I think. I just moved out to bfe today so no one I know is ANYWHERE around.

The clutch doesnt feel sponge like, but thats a good call. Wouldnt the Master/slave be covered under warranty ???
Old 08-30-2009, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Power-train warranty is for 60,000 miles / 3 years isn't it?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by juzlookzfazt
Power-train warranty is for 60,000 miles / 3 years isn't it?

I think so, and I got some super duper bells and whistles with dancing girls package on top of that.... all my mods are listed below and I cant see anything that would effect a tranny warranty
Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

its ur synchros. take it to a dealership
Old 08-30-2009, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bleed clutch, check clutch master, check shift linkage, go to dealer if none of that works

btw......that short throw shifter DOES have to do with how your transmission operates and could be contributing to the problem...
Old 08-30-2009, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

I dont have a 5spd, but could the problem be that the clutch is not disengaging all the way?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

That definitely does not sound like synchros sounds like your clutch isn't releasing when you press in your clutch pedal, bad synchros wouldn't cause it to lurch forward when the clutch pedal is pressed. Bad synchros would cause it to be harder to shift into gear while actually driving the car, you'd have to first match the rpm's of the engine and transmission before trying to put in gear. shouldn't really have an effect from a stop
Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely a clutch issue... Could be a slave cylinder, master cylinder, throw out bearing, or the clutch assembly itself....
Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its your throw out bearing.....mine went out and done the exact same thing....couldnt go into gear if it was running.....if i tried starting in gear it would jump forward.....its your tob manz
Old 09-04-2009, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

sssooooooo one of the toyota places here in dallas {where I got the tC} has the car currently.

1. its the Master Cyl.
2. the clutch assym.
3. throw out bearing

but I am being told its just the clutch mainly. So to fix this isht since its not a warranty item is going to be just a little under $1,400.00

I am going to get this ish fixed drive the car for another 5-6months and then I am going back to honda. Dont get me wrong, I love my tC and I have savored every race won {and lost} and I love how she looks {I will get pics up before I sell her and part out all the work.... see list below} But I came from the honda camp and I have really not been impressed with how this car has stood up to well.

So far after having gotten the car in Aug. of 06 {07 model} I have had the following issues.

1. A/C had to be completely replaced
2. sun roof motor had to be replaced
3. 3 seals on my tranny had to be replaced
4. 1 axle and boot had to be replaced
5. brakes replaced at 34k miles had massive cracks and fractures in them
6. HVAC replaced due to unknown phantom issue with it never staying on and the fuses not popping.

it should be noted that of the 34,500 ish miles on the car currently about 27k of them are highway miles. I have NEVER clutch dropped this car for a drag race, but I have run her hard on the highway. I was building her to run in scca this coming spring but honestly I am just becoming more and more annoyed with the tC. In all the Hondas I have ever owned that were run ALOT harder than this car I NEVER had issues like these.

I dont know girls and boys... what do yall think?? {yes.. Im from texas}

Civic si 4door
Hyundia Gen Coupe turbo
??????
Old 09-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shift_N_Red
sssooooooo one of the toyota places here in dallas {where I got the tC} has the car currently.

1. its the Master Cyl.
2. the clutch assym.
3. throw out bearing

but I am being told its just the clutch mainly. So to fix this isht since its not a warranty item is going to be just a little under $1,400.00

I am going to get this ish fixed drive the car for another 5-6months and then I am going back to honda. Dont get me wrong, I love my tC and I have savored every race won {and lost} and I love how she looks {I will get pics up before I sell her and part out all the work.... see list below} But I came from the honda camp and I have really not been impressed with how this car has stood up to well.

So far after having gotten the car in Aug. of 06 {07 model} I have had the following issues.

1. A/C had to be completely replaced
2. sun roof motor had to be replaced
3. 3 seals on my tranny had to be replaced
4. 1 axle and boot had to be replaced
5. brakes replaced at 34k miles had massive cracks and fractures in them
6. HVAC replaced due to unknown phantom issue with it never staying on and the fuses not popping.

it should be noted that of the 34,500 ish miles on the car currently about 27k of them are highway miles. I have NEVER clutch dropped this car for a drag race, but I have run her hard on the highway. I was building her to run in scca this coming spring but honestly I am just becoming more and more annoyed with the tC. In all the Hondas I have ever owned that were run ALOT harder than this car I NEVER had issues like these.

I dont know girls and boys... what do yall think?? {yes.. Im from texas}

Civic si 4door
Hyundia Gen Coupe turbo
??????

buy a aftermarket clutch or an exeedy oem clutch, both will be cheaper than toyotas clutch they sell you....then have them install it itll be cheaper
Old 09-04-2009, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
buy a aftermarket clutch or an exeedy oem clutch, both will be cheaper than toyotas clutch they sell you....then have them install it itll be cheaper

I talked to two different dealerships tha tI ahve used in the past for small things, both said the same thing. ANY aftermarket clutch or flywheel installed into the tranny will void the warranty on said tranny for the life of the car. I was going to have jotech do a clutch and flywheel combo till we passed that bridge but I am still thinking of letting her go. Maybe if I can fit my big a$$ into an S-2000 or something of that nature
Old 09-04-2009, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With that kind of mileage you should 1. not have a clutch failure. 2. not have to pay for that out of pocket. I would call toyota/scion customer care and talk to someone and explain that you feel that it isn't fair. Especially because you have an extended warranty. If the friction surface of the clutch failed i could see them saying it was a wear item but even the most inexperienced clutch user shouldn't pop a clutch in that amount of time.

If you don't complain you will be paying 1400.

Talking to the service manager and then customer care if the dealer doesn't take care of you is worth your money and time.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a Hyundai gen coupe dude pure sex.. just throw fire on the tc its a car not your child
Old 09-04-2009, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes definitely be calling scion, and if you have to, get an attorney if they won't help. IT's obvious that your clutch has died, and fallen apart. You say you want to go to honda, yet I had a honda in 97 under warranty, and the clutch destroyed itself at 22k miles! So nothing is perfect! And yes Honda covered it, after I forced them to pay for it! The clutch was in pieces! Not abuse, just faulty.

It seems that a lot of tC's have had issues with the clutch. Cheap parts is what I'm saying. And the dealer is LYING to you by saying that an aftermarket clutch would void the transmission. They're just trying to get you to pay all that $$$ it's plain greed!

It would be like saying if you got other than stock tires, the suspension warranty would be voided, or aftermarket brake pads and the caliper warranty is voided. pure lies.

Please call Scion and make them fix this! Don't let the dealer make you believe more lies.

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 09-04-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ dont listen. Yes it will void your warranty. Why would Toyota/Scion be held responsible for a part they dont even carry, make or endorse? If an Exedy clutch that you purchased fails for some reason, do you really think Toyota/Scion is going to say "well you are under warranty, we'll fix your aftermarket part that screwed up" not going to happen. Its not greed, its common sense.

Also you cant compare buying tires other then stock to void suspension warranty. For example, the TRD springs will NOT void warranty, but guaranteed once you buy any other aftermarket spring it will. Yes, they do the same thing, but its not a Toyota part. Not greed, but Toyota isnt going to take the hit if an aftermarket part fails.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ you're not even getting the point! I NEVER said that Toyota would repair the aftermarket part! If syncros fail on a transmission that IS NOT the fault of an aftermarket clutch! The same goes for aftermarket tires, blaming them for suspension warranty voiding. Ridiculous. And you don't think that Toyota is in the business of making money by getting by with as LITTLE as they need to, to cover warranty??! You surely do not understand a corporation!

And yes HE SHOULD LISTEN! Because it's obvious they're telling him lies at the dealership trying to make money off of him! $1400 for a clutch? that's insane! maybe $400 but not $1400! A clutch dying that early is crazy if he hasn't abused it, and yes it's the result of CHEAP parts used by Toyota! Don't be so blind to think that Toyota used parts that were the best out there, how do you think they offered all those features for such little price!?

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 09-05-2009 at 02:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Cant Engage Gears in 5speed