Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Car is Broken, Need Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Car is Broken, Need Help Please!

Well let me start off by saying what a day it has been for me. I was part of the wedding and my girlfriends sister was getting married, so my car was used to transport the groom. So I was driving back to my girlfriends house after the wedding, getting ready for the reception and when I came to a stop, I couldnt put it in gear. I was like wtf. So after about 30 minutes we finally left, so I hopped in my car and tried to put it in gear and nothing. So i tried to start it up in nuetral and it was fine, but the second I put it in gear it sounded like crap. It wouldnt let me shift gears at all. But when I turn my car off I can flip through them like its nothing. Anyways I forced it into gear and proceeded to try to drive it. What a pain in the butt that was. I couldnt shift gears unless it was at the right amount of rpms that you dont even need to use the clutch. I left the reception for like an hour and brought it to my best friends house to have a look. We revved it up in nuetral and it sounds like something broke off in there. Were thinking the clutch is engaged and is stuck, or the fork broke off of the bearing and is flapping around in there. Regardless of what it is, I cant do crap. Has anyone had a problem similar to this or knows how to fix this.

Another question. Me and my friend are thinking about just tearing the transmission off and getting in there and checking out the clutch, pressure plate, bearing and all that good stuff. Can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace a clutch and everything that comes with. Is it hard to get the transmission off. My Scion is parked at his house in the grass and I need it. Another thing my car has 42,000 miles, does that mean I no longer have warranty. Thanks guys, any input would be helpful.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!

your car is still within its 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty.

that covers the engine, transmision and driveshafts. your clutch, as a wear and tear item is not covered, but it doesn't sound like it is the problem really.

so do not do anything, take it to the dealership first.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

5/60k is the warranty we get without extended warranty? I thought I heard someone before say 36k thats why I get confused, if thats true thats great.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the 3yr/36k warrenty is bumper to bumper anything goes... the 5yr/60k warrenty covers anything that has to do with the engine and drivetrain, that includes the tranny.. Take it to the dealer.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Did I tell you guys that I loved you, I mean nothing homo but I do. LOL thank you guys very much, its been a hectic day. I was stressed and depressed all day at the wedding reception worrying about my car. Thank god my best friend and his dad are letting me use there cars as long as I need. I just told my friend about the 60k warranty on powertrain and he sounded excited, lol I dont think he wanted to tear the tranny apart. Thanks guys, nothing like a freak accident.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Car is Broken, Need Help Please!

Originally Posted by KillaSpiceTSW
i tried to start it up in nuetral and it was fine, but the second I put it in gear it sounded like crap. It wouldnt let me shift gears at all. But when I turn my car off I can flip through them like its nothing. Anyways I forced it into gear and proceeded to try to drive it. What a pain in the butt that was. I couldnt shift gears unless it was at the right amount of rpms that you dont even need to use the clutch. I left the reception for like an hour and brought it to my best friends house to have a look. We revved it up in nuetral and it sounds like something broke off in there.
in bold, you just have described a syncronizer that has gone defective. There are other tC manual trans that have gone similar deaths. You are covered under the 5/60k powertrain warranty like everyone has said.

I would also think that the input shaft, and maybe even the shift forks are messed up as well. But chances are the dealer should most likely just install a new transmission. Just too much labor to rebuild it otherwise, and at low warranty rates? Easier to bolt a new one in.

and don't let the dealer try and imply that you were racing or driving hard. This is a design defect, others have had it. make sure they get you a loaner for FREE as well.[/b]
Old 09-06-2008, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching
Old 09-06-2008, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Warranty does not cover wear items,You can try but I doubt very much they are going to warranty it for you.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hawgs74
watching

x2
Old 09-07-2008, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well toyota told me to bring it in on Monday. The lady just put down the clutch wouldnt disengage. But when I get there we can get to the bottom of it. It was weird man. When you said synchronizer, what were you implying if I might ask.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If it was a syncro you would be able to get in another gear all the syncros dont go bad at the same time.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well toyota told me to bring it in on Monday. The lady just put down the clutch wouldnt disengage. But when I get there we can get to the bottom of it. It was weird man. When you said synchronizer, what were you implying if I might ask.
what was I implying? well.. that you're not alone on the syncronizers going bad on their own. Other tC owners have had the same problem before. It's not uncommon on this manual transmission design. also I'm wondering if the input shaft went bye bye causing all the syncros to mess up. that's what I was implying, hope that makes it more clear.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyoguy27
Warranty does not cover wear items,You can try but I doubt very much they are going to warranty it for you.
This sounds like a little more than normal wear....it would be a shame if they don't warranty it.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

They have had my car for 2 days now and I still havent heard a word. I dont know whether that is a good thing or bad. All they had to do was diagnose it, even though I told the guy I pretty much already new what the hell was wrong with it. Oh well.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, either they are stumped, or they are trying to find a way to blame it on you.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Blame it on me sounds more like whats going to happen. I went in there and they tried telling me that its a wear and tear item and that isn't involved in the powertrain warranty. I told the guy listen, I understand what your saying that its a wear and tear item, but I know the difference between blowing a clutch from driving like an ___ or something catastrophic going wrong without my knowing or doing. I told the guy I know how dealerships are, they take any advantage they can to bend you over and screw you as hard as they can. Then the guy told me well if it looks disputable even if its the clutch, we will dispute the issue with toyota and have it warrantied. "Sounds like BS to me". Then he told me well we will have it diagnosed and if the warranty will cover it, we will get it fixed immediately. If not then we will get an estimate on repair. Once he said that I told him listen if you guys dont warranty it, ill just bring my car home and rip the engine out myself and do the job. The look in his eyes was priceless, like as if he thought is this kid Freaking Kidding Me. I love society these days. Its wonderful. :D
Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Re: Car is Broken, Need Help Please!

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
i tried to start it up in nuetral and it was fine, but the second I put it in gear it sounded like crap. It wouldnt let me shift gears at all. But when I turn my car off I can flip through them like its nothing. Anyways I forced it into gear and proceeded to try to drive it. What a pain in the butt that was. I couldnt shift gears unless it was at the right amount of rpms that you dont even need to use the clutch. I left the reception for like an hour and brought it to my best friends house to have a look. We revved it up in nuetral and it sounds like something broke off in there.
in bold, you just have described a syncronizer that has gone defective. There are other tC manual trans that have gone similar deaths. You are covered under the 5/60k powertrain warranty like everyone has said.

I would also think that the input shaft, and maybe even the shift forks are messed up as well. But chances are the dealer should most likely just install a new transmission. Just too much labor to rebuild it otherwise, and at low warranty rates? Easier to bolt a new one in.

and don't let the dealer try and imply that you were racing or driving hard. This is a design defect, others have had it. make sure they get you a loaner for FREE as well.[/b]
WRONG WRONG WRONG!

the same thing just happened to me, the pressure plate is bad. and guess what ITS NOT covered under warenty. Clutch/pressure plate are considered wear and tear items just like brake pads.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=234030
Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So then im pretty much f@cked. Looks like ill be tearing the engine out this weekend. Ill wait till tomorrow for them to tell me whether or not they will do anything for me. If not then I need to get parts and I need them by Friday, so I can it finished by Sunday. How much was it for the Clutch and Flywheel combo dave shipped to ya. Do you think I would even need a stage 2, i dont really have very many performance parts to require a stage 2. Would a stage 1 be better for me then.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

So then im pretty much f@cked. Looks like ill be tearing the engine out this weekend. Ill wait till tomorrow for them to tell me whether or not they will do anything for me. If not then I need to get parts and I need them by Friday, so I can it finished by Sunday. How much was it for the Clutch and Flywheel combo dave shipped to ya. Do you think I would even need a stage 2, i dont really have very many performance parts to require a stage 2. Would a stage 1 be better for me then.
hit up Geoff at nurspec, he gave me a hell of a price for a stage 1 and 12lb flywheel (competition clutch) shipped before. the Stage 2 is a little more, you dont need it but i think its better then the stage 1.

Quick Reply: Car is Broken, Need Help Please!