Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cheap custom intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cheap custom intake

I know i'm not the first one to do this. I got the idea from a couple of posts on here that took me a while to actually find.

This is my $34 intake. This is a short ram intake for a 03-05 1.8 S VVT-I Corolla. It was alread black and came with everything needed for instal.

Took me maybe 20 minutes to instal. Unhook stock filter box and unbolt the 3 bolts. Guesstimate where you want to cut the intake (not all kits have the same size air filter so keep that in mind). Get a hacksaw and start cutting. Then i used a file on the edge to get all the burrs and extra metal that might be barely hanging on.

I cut about a 3/4" piece off of the silcone coupler that they included. Here is my one true ghetto part. The intake is roughly half an inch to small for the stock piping, but with the 3/4" couple right on the end of the pipe it fits perfectly into the stock piping.

Now everything is attached and you should notice that the intake is not supported by anthing and just rests on wheel well. I didn't want this thing vibrating so i made a bracket. This bracket was also included in the kit. So I just drilled a hole big enough for the bolt i was using, stuck the bolt w/ a washer in the end of the filter and used a nylock but to attach it making sure it won't come loose and suck the bolt into the motor. You have a few choices of where to mount the bracket from the stock air box mounting locations. Pick what ever works best for your filter. Then you attach the bracket to the body (you could resuse the bolt off of the air box if you don't have anything else). Now you are done. I think it took me just as long to write out as too actually complete.

I haven't really opened her up yet since she only has 600 miles on her. And i will be leaving tomorrow morning (ugh, in six hours) to fly out to georgia for about 3.5 weeks so i won't be giving much of any replies for any questions.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The BEST custom intake is one that eliminates that stock plastic peice and that air box that makes it quieter. Check out this one, its the same as yours with the exception that I also used a piece from a Mustang Gt 96+ for the L Pipe.
It is exactly the same as the $200 short ram intakes out there. I beg anyone to differ.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats, to both of you for being innovative an creating your own intakes.
I agree with Kenshin on the plastic, but hey to each his own.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice installs guys! optimuspeterson looks like his came that way, really clean install dude.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

video clips please?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be more than glad to have a video clip for you, Ill do it as soon as I get home.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good job guys, this is definately just as good as the other SRI intakes out there! I wanted to add a cone just to the stock intake before I ordered my Umnitza but I couldnt do it since the MAF sensor was attached to the actual air box. I would have done this but Im really glad I got the Umnitza instead. Still excellent work there!