Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Check Engine P0301 Code - Help

Old 07-03-2012, 05:06 AM

Default Check Engine P0301 Code - Help

Removed a turbo from a 2009 TC, put back to stock. At first ran ok then after 30 minutes of running,... lost power. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is off at IDLE but comes on when driving or hi rev.

( CODE = Cylinder #1 — Misfire Detected)

Seems like #1 cylinder is running but really poorly. Using a laser thermometer on individual headers cylinders 2,3 and 4 run at over 300F Exhaust temp on outside of pipe(fast idle) , cylinder 1 is below 200F.

Runs like crap, running on only 3 cylinders it seems

What we did to diagnose the issue so far;

- Replaced injector seat seals, they were suspect because in bad shape
- Replaced #1 spark plug (gapped at .032")
- Swapped Coil pack from another cylinder to Cylinder #1
- Reset ECU by removing neg battery wire for a few hours
- Checked engine compression all cylinders (including #1) are over 150 PSI
- Spark plug is #1 looks real white (LEAN)
- switched polarity of leads to #1 injector, suspected we may have reversed its +/- when installing stock back.

* We have not swapped out the #1 injector, yet.

When we removed the Turbo it included removing the AEM FIC Fuel and ignition controller, now connected back the stock ECU. Swapped larger fuel injectors back to stock.

Tried several times to reset ECU, feels like it will just not RESET!

Running out of ideas, any thoughts?

Best Regards

Allan
Old 07-03-2012, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Swap your injector and check that. Have you done the resistor mod to the fic? This would explain the high rev CEL.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 PM
SL Member

Resistor mod is done on the harness that was removed from the FIC
Old 07-03-2012, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry I didn't see that earlier I just reread your post. Do you have a friend with a tC that maybe you could swap the ECU with? Did you have issues with this while it was turbo? Did you have plug and play injectors before or did you have to cut the injector harness? Which could have been possibly reversed. You might have a loose connection, polarity reversed or, a bad injector.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM

So a good question, the injector wiring had to be cut and spliced for the aftermarket injectors. I suspected that for cylinder #1 and I did cut and switched polarity to see. It did not fix it unfortunately. I wonder if polarity really matters as the coil in the injector is isolated from ground? But we now know it didnt fix it.

The stock injectors sat in a zip lock bag (in the garage through a Arizona Summer) so possible the got gummed up.

I will do a injector switch and or install a aftermarket (turbo kit) injector to see if it fixes the issue.

I have been researching via Utube DIY injector cleaning methods if the injector is found to be bad, we will attempt to clean / fix

Thanks Allan
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by maple
So a good question, the injector wiring had to be cut and spliced for the aftermarket injectors. I suspected that for cylinder #1 and I did cut and switched polarity to see. It did not fix it unfortunately. I wonder if polarity really matters as the coil in the injector is isolated from ground? But we now know it didnt fix it.

The stock injectors sat in a zip lock bag (in the garage through a Arizona Summer) so possible the got gummed up.

I will do a injector switch and or install a aftermarket (turbo kit) injector to see if it fixes the issue.

I have been researching via Utube DIY injector cleaning methods if the injector is found to be bad, we will attempt to clean / fix

Thanks Allan
if you need any stock injectors let me know. i have crap tons laying around. as long as you pay for shipping, i can send you a set for free
Old 07-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Thank You for the offer for a stock injector(s), I will not be needing them. I swapped injector 1 and injector 4. NO CHANGE. Dam.

A friend that has years of injector experience told me to get a led injector tester like;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021V0FRE/ref=asc_df_B0021V0FRE2083216?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0021V0FRE&hvpos=1o2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1706595591495467321&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021V0FRE/ref=asc_df_B0021V0FRE2083216?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0021V0FRE&hvpos=1o2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1706595591495467321&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

I did not get one, but I have a oscilliscope from electronics work, I put scope channel 1 on the injector leads from cylinder 1 and scope channel 2 on cylinder 2.

Guess what no pulse on cylinder #1,... DEAD. I found a wiring diagram for the ECM pinouts on Dezod it is;

http://www.dezod.com/files/ECU%20pinouts----.pdf

Its either a bad pin or wire in the harness or the ECM itself, I will keep you posted.

-Allan
Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 PM

So in my case Check Engine P0301 - Cylinder #1 — Misfire Detected is the ECU, this is
really the engine is running on only 3 cylinders, Cylinder #1 fuel injector is not getting a fire pulse. I removed and opened the ECU removed the cct board, traced the #1 (Blue wire) from the connector on the cct board to the first small chip it comes to and there is a burned crack through that IC.

ROOT CAUSE is the ECM, anyone got a working one for sale?

-Allan