Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cold Air Intake - CEL and P0031 Error After Reverting to Stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cold Air Intake - CEL and P0031 Error After Reverting to Stock

Hey all, I recently purchased a no-name CAI for my 06. After the install I got a CEL within the first few miles. I have since checked my MAF sensor and cleaned it, checked for air leaks etc.

After a week of running like this I converted to just a ram intake only to be greeted by the same symptoms- I have also reset the ECU by removing the battery at least a dozen times during this whole process. I noticed a hiss or squeak similar to a BOV when accelerating in any gear near the 2-3k range, and after researching on the forum I determined that this was a common symptom with ____ty aftermarket intakes.

After another week of this I reverted back to stock- only now my CEL comes on within the first few seconds of being started. I have also noticed the squeak or hiss is still there, but very, very faint.

I have ran at stock for a few days and reset the ECU again tonight too no avail. Trouble code I'm getting is P0031. Code definition: H02S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1).

Did I really damage my O2 sensor by running lean for a few hundred miles? Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you have to unplug your O2 sensor for any reason? Maybe it's not connected right? i ran a CAI for about a year and trust me, it doesn't lean you out that much. The added air is met with an increase in fuel thanks to the ECU and you end up just wasting more gas. Unless you drive conservatively, in which case the CAI just pulls in slightly colder air, thus leaning out just a tiny bit and increasing fuel mileage.

I would check the O2 sensor wires to make sure they didn't get snipped. Also check your fuses and relays.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What fuses should I be looking for? And where do the O2 sensor wires run. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is on my headers correct?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check the EFI fuse and relay. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the o2 sensor on the header. The wire runs up to the connector on the driver side of the head. Check to see if any of it got cut or stripped. Other than that, best to take it to a shop to diagnose.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the help. For reference for others:
I inspected the O2 sensor and everything seemed fine. I unplugged it from the first connector and cleaned the contacts- then left the battery unplugged
overnight. Today on my morning commute the CEL didn't come back on.

Either the connector was dirty or the CEL is going to pop up again soon, but it has been off much longer than the previous attempts. My hopes are high.