Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Custom intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member

Default Custom intake

May be it is just me but I see all these peaple taking off the airbox and putting a high flow filter in the open under the hood. I understand the larger filter passes more air BUT the heat generated by the motor and exaust is passed stright into the untake increacing the air intake temp drumaticaly. This showld actualy decrease proformance. correct? What about the cold air boxes does no one have one to show us.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i mean if you think about it that way, then all the short ram intakes on the market would be useless and everyone should just buy ram air. but its the otherway around, they gain hp, increase throttle response, and make a mean growl hehe
Old 01-07-2005, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

while it is sucking in warm air it is bringing in more air with less restriction. a cold air intake is not for everyone, so this is an alternative to that.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so in conclusion.... a ram air or a short air intake provides the tC with better throttle repsonse and overall performance?
Old 01-08-2005, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, there is no such thing as a ram air for the tc. a short ram intake (with the filter in the engine bay) will take in warm air, that will drastacly decrease engin performance. a COLD air intake will place the filter outside of the engine bay, drawing in cold air that is more dense, therefore increasing power.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can i learn how to do this?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I made my own intake. and it was actually very easy. There are a couple of difficult parts to it like the MAF sensor. I have not Dynoed the car with the intake yet either.

Oh and also, for you guys future reference - when you remove the stock air box you will see a plastic 2-1/2" tube that goes down into the fender and down to the front bumper and draws in cool air. Besides, I dont really care to much for the 1-3 hp gain that the addition of installing a cold air intake over a short ram for as much as they cost. Then when it rains my filter's not filling up with water.

Old 02-05-2005, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you think the Short ram above is gaining power over the stock intake
Old 02-05-2005, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

whered you get the pipe from?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kamikazi you have nismo pedals on a scion?
Old 02-05-2005, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member

I did the same out of an accord intake. Took about an hour to fabricate. I was noticing some throttle hesitation from the heat after sitting in traffic for a while, so I went to home depot and bought a small 12"x12" piece of sheet metal and made an air box for the filter. then wrapped the pipe and the box in the thermal tape. No hesitation anymore and after sitting in traffic I can take the filter off and stick my hand in the intake tube and there is no sign of heat conduction.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

yeah, what LimitedE said. Wrap the pipe all the way back to the throttle body and make an air box to shield it from engine heat. That should make a difference.

i think that you should wrap the pipe whether it be on a full CAI or a short ram intake. that cold air sucked up by the longer CAI would just heat up if the temp in the engine compartment is very high.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aarontrini85
Kamikazi you have nismo pedals on a scion?
Yes, the brake and clutch pedal are the same exact size, so when you remove the rubber pedals, the Nismo's went right on. The accelerator pedal is a little different however, it required some modification, and epoxy to make fit. But it looks really good, I will try and get that pic up here also.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nismo? like nissan right? isnt that a little wierd

i guess its cool if they dont say nismo on them
Old 02-06-2005, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i am concidering making one but have questions.

""do you believe the a custom made intake can produce as much hp
compared to a mass produced one, like weapon r?...

""the stock tC intake has a pipe with a "3" on it that goes down near the wheel well.. correct?>..
so it is practically a stock cold air intake?

""Does the stock tC like most new cars have a pressure sensor? most new models have map sensors. that come with some pressure sensor?
so is the that box that protrudges out of the intake that pressure sensitive object?...

""and does the "custommade intake" void the extended warrante/ the dealership's warrantee?
ty
Old 02-07-2005, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NoShiO
i am concidering making one but have questions.

""do you believe the a custom made intake can produce as much hp
compared to a mass produced one, like weapon r?...

""the stock tC intake has a pipe with a "3" on it that goes down near the wheel well.. correct?>..
so it is practically a stock cold air intake?

""Does the stock tC like most new cars have a pressure sensor? most new models have map sensors. that come with some pressure sensor?
so is the that box that protrudges out of the intake that pressure sensitive object?...

""and does the "custommade intake" void the extended warrante/ the dealership's warrantee?
ty
1. Yes it can make the same if not more hp compared to the prodution ones, the stock intake is 2-1/4" Weapon R is 2-1/2" and mine is 3"

2. Yes the stock air intake system is somewhat like a cold air, except that it is much more restrictive and the filter is in the engine bay and not in the front bumper.

3. No pressure sensor, only MAF sensor. The protruding black box looking object is only an intake silencer, it creates another path for the air to travel as it enters the piping, and therefore makes the engine sound quitier, all cars have one.

4. Yes it voids the warrente on the MAF sensor, and the dealer told me that if there is an engine problem, they half to be able to prove that the air intake that you installed caused the problem in order to for the engine problem to not be covered under warrente.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mahalzkita28
well i mean if you think about it that way, then all the short ram intakes on the market would be useless and everyone should just buy ram air.
No. If the short ram is designed properly, the intake tube will extend so that the filter is located toward the front of the car where air is pushed into it. Stock airboxes are often located at random locations in the engine bay where there may be little or no airflow; however, they should have a small tube that sucks in some air from underneath the car.

Originally Posted by TheKnown
so in conclusion.... a ram air or a short air intake provides the tC with better throttle repsonse and overall performance?
TRUE ram air is unfiltered air being rammed into the throttle body / intake manifold for maximum performance. However, this should only be used strictly for track cars, since street driving will cause all kinds of debris to get sucked into the engine.

Originally Posted by Hudnut
no, there is no such thing as a ram air for the tc.
Ram air can be fabricated by using an empty headlight cut-out, a cut-out in the bumper, or any custom hole in the bumper/fender/hood and then having a duct from the hole to the TB. But as stated earlier, this should only be used on dedicated race cars.

a short ram intake (with the filter in the engine bay) will take in warm air, that will drastacly decrease engin performance.
Not if it is designed / located appropriately.

a COLD air intake will place the filter outside of the engine bay, drawing in cold air that is more dense, therefore increasing power.
True. However, the gains you will achieve from either a short raim or CAI on these 4cyl cars is so minimal. CAI's are so overrated. For that extra .25 - 1 hp gain over a quality short ram w/ good filter, you are trading off the convenience of having the filter in an easily accessible location for cleaning and replacement. And CAI's tend to need regular cleaning because they get so dirty from rain/dirt on the road. Definitely not worth the hassle, IMO. I always stick with a short ram or custom intake, and use a high performance filter like the Blitz SUS.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did they Dyno a tC with completely stock? YES

Did they Dyno a tC with the short ram intake? YES

Did the short ram intake gain hp? YES

If you all notice, on the tC the air box is directed to the driverside fender, if you remove your stock airbox you will notice a port leading down into the fender and to an opening in the bottom of the bumper. This is used to direct outside (cooler air) to the air box. Esentially a cold air intake from the factory, but with small ___ rubber piping, a restrictive filter, and designed to be efficient and quiet. I guess I just dont understand why all of you are still going on about RAM AIR, COLD AIR, SHORT RAM. ??? they all make hp, some look better than others, some are more expensive than others. Im not _____in, I spent a total of $38, and I know that I gained hp from just the sound, and throttle reponse alone.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aarontrini85
nismo? like nissan right? isnt that a little wierd

i guess its cool if they dont say nismo on them
No, they do not have any writing on them at all, and they actually look better and cleaner than the OBX pedals from the factory.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

did you get any check engine light? did you reset the ecu?

Quick Reply: Custom intake