Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DaveDaves dilema is SOLVED!!! (see page 2 bottom)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default DaveDaves dilema is SOLVED!!! (see page 2 bottom)

ok so i had my Competition CLutch and 12lb Flywheel installed 5.5 weeks ago and a week and a half later i was having transmission problems (big ones). they where so bad that the clutch pedal would get rock hard and i wouldnt be able to shift w/o having to FORCE it into gear.

so i took it back to the tech that i took it to (toyota tech) and he didnt have time to look at it right away so i said ok ill leave it here when will you be able to get to it, he said next week, so i agreed to wait.

3 weeks later my car was in the same spot so i took it away from them and brought it to my school to have a transmission teacher look at it. he told me that the problem could be that the clutch and flywheel just have very little play and they just need to be broken in and that theres no real problem. and he said i could drive it around and just baby it (i ALWAYS baby the car). so i took the car to my next class, and sure enough it drove fine for about 5 min and then it froze up on me again. pedal got rock hard and i couldnt shift (i had to shut the car off and put it in first just to get into first gear).

so i brought it back to him and he said that it could either be the clutch line that needs to be bled or the clutch/pressure plate/ throw out bearing is bad (keep in mind these are all BRAND NEW less then 1000 miles on them) so i called Competition Clutch and they told me that they cant do anything w/o pictures of the parts (understandable).

do you guys think that it could be something as simple as bleeding the clutch line? or was a being fed a load of horse sht? im trying to get my car back as soon as possible considering i have been w/o it for a month now

any input would be greatly appreciated, and if you dont know anything about the situation dont post, i dont wanna hear any bullsht. sorry but i have to be blunt because a lot of people on the forum think they have the answers when they really dont.

thank you
Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude.. why did u take it back to the tech... its obvious thats were the problem is.... i would take it someplace else... if your not their watching what someone is doing who knows what fk ups they could be doing.. u know anyone can get a degree in oil changing and think they can do other stuff also...

have another shop look at it.... clutch bleeding is a little off the cuff to say that its the culprit since the THAT should not really have any kind of modification to it from the install...

bad install man.. bad install... i wouldnt put it past the "tech" possibly installing it wrong, or not putting in the new throw out bearing, or installing the TB wrong...
Old 08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
dude.. why did u take it back to the tech... its obvious thats were the problem is.... i would take it someplace else... if your not their watching what someone is doing who knows what fk ups they could be doing.. u know anyone can get a degree in oil changing and think they can do other stuff also...

have another shop look at it.... clutch bleeding is a little off the cuff to say that its the culprit since the THAT should not really have any kind of modification to it from the install...

bad install man.. bad install... i wouldnt put it past the "tech" possibly installing it wrong, or not putting in the new throw out bearing, or installing the TB wrong...
i origionally brought it back to him because i felt thats what was right, unfortunately he did it as a side job and i couldnt go through the dealer. thats why i took it to my school where i can do it for free.

and i had a feeling its a bad install because well he did the install in 2 hours and the book said 7 =/

anyways its at my school now and im gonna have the transmission teacher and his class fix it.

if its the Throw out bearing installed wrong do i need to get everything over again? or is that just something that can be switched around? i would like to not call up Competition clutch again because i dont want to wait for parts.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they just need to regrease it and install it right as long as its not tooo damagaed... and 2 hours??????????????????????????? that sounds like someone didnt even take it apart man.. if i were you i would ask your teacher to verify the clutch is even in the car with the flywheel also.. cuz 2 hours is way to fast... especially on this fkn car...
Old 08-19-2008, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i saw the old parts so i know the new stuff is in there.

but if it is the throw out bearing no additional parts are needed?

and what does too much damage consist of? <1000 miles enough to damage it beyond repair?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

and pete the teacher said he will look over the car top and bottom before he hands it back to me, he only does transmissons and before working here at the school he was a transmission speciallist at the shop he worked at.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

sorry dave i have not answer for you on this one. i was getting worried because i installed a cc stage 1 on the box about the same time you did yours and we both got them from the same place. and i also had a tech to mine on the side. i had called my guy yesterday to ask a few questions. he did mention that he could bleed the line but the way the install was done this would not effect the pedal feel. mine feels loose and just under the rest position. he said that he could bleed it to see if it will feel different. keep us updated on this since i would not like to have the same issues, mine still has the stock flywheel.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Should of brought it to a tranny spec. the first time esp where its a aftermarket clutch. I could see taking it to the dealer for a stock clutch replacement. Dave u mean to tell me u and pat couldnt do this in 2 hours? Commonnnn
Old 08-19-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by MrScion07
Should of brought it to a tranny spec. the first time esp where its a aftermarket clutch. I could see taking it to the dealer for a stock clutch replacement. Dave u mean to tell me u and pat couldnt do this in 2 hours? Commonnnn
i had the Comp stage 1 clutch before (for about a year) but i wanted to upgrade the flywheel and decided to do the clutch over again so that i wouldnt have to go back and swap the clutch later.

and btw i brought it to the dealer
Old 08-19-2008, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by CHPRBOX8
sorry dave i have not answer for you on this one. i was getting worried because i installed a cc stage 1 on the box about the same time you did yours and we both got them from the same place. and i also had a tech to mine on the side. i had called my guy yesterday to ask a few questions. he did mention that he could bleed the line but the way the install was done this would not effect the pedal feel. mine feels loose and just under the rest position. he said that he could bleed it to see if it will feel different. keep us updated on this since i would not like to have the same issues, mine still has the stock flywheel.
this is my 2nd comp clutch, i had the other one for a year and i loved it, i replaced it because i did the flywheel at the same time. its not the Clutch it was the install (unless i got faulty parts)
Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

that is why i want to watch this one, i hope that it was just a bad instal sorry to say that and not the parts
Old 08-19-2008, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yea im hoping so too
Old 08-19-2008, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

oooo forgot u had the stage one befor
Old 08-19-2008, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yea funny thing was before i had a SUBARU dealership install it, and the Toyota tech is the one that screwed it up
Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres your problem... u took it to a dealer... the actual dealer of the manf. car lol...
Old 08-19-2008, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

lol thanks pete, ill talk to the teacher tomorrow and ask him if he thinks its the throw out bearing, i just dont wanna annoy him too much
Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

bump!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i had somewhat similar problems after my clutch/flywheel/lsd and clutchline installation.

my clutch pedal travel was rediculously short, and shifting effort was greatly increased, and i couldn't get into reverse. after i got the clutchline bled, the clutch pedal travel returned to normal, but i shifting effort was still fairly labored, and i couldn't get into reverse unless i shift to first to align the synchros (which p-tuning said "was normal" cough bulls$h!t cough)
Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From my experiences and through experiences my friends have had.. this excessively stiff clutch pedal feel is USUALLY from an improperly installed throw-out bearing. It may have not been lubricated enough. The throw-out bearing is binding on the shaft and may need to be replaced.

First thing's first - take your car to a real transmission shop. Maybe your teacher's shop is fine.

Double check and inspect the throw-out bearing. You may need to call Competition Clutch for a new part.

Good luck.. and post pics once you have everything apart.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
well, i had somewhat similar problems after my clutch/flywheel/lsd and clutchline installation.

my clutch pedal travel was rediculously short, and shifting effort was greatly increased, and i couldn't get into reverse. after i got the clutchline bled, the clutch pedal travel returned to normal, but i shifting effort was still fairly labored, and i couldn't get into reverse unless i shift to first to align the synchros (which p-tuning said "was normal" cough bulls$h!t cough)
thats actually not BS... for our tranny and most japanese trannys (5sp)the 2nd gear and reverse ride along the same synchro... so throwing into 2nd and then going into reverse helps align them and lets you get into reverse alot easier/smoother.. also helps with synchro life on the reverse and 2nd... ive gotten into the habbit of going into 2nd and then reverse...

Quick Reply: DaveDaves dilema is SOLVED!!! (see page 2 bottom)