Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

emanage vs ultimate vs unichip

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default emanage vs ultimate vs unichip

im planning on gettin an ECU for my NA car (not planning boost)
i dunno much about ECU's except that these all control A/F and engine timing.

what else can it control?
and what makes these 3 different?
if they can do the same things, then what the difference in the ability to do the same thing?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 02-02-2006, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as I know the emanage ultimate current does not work. I believe it has something to do with the cold start operation. As for the unichip I believe this is the best option so long as you do not want to tune this yourself because only a unichip dealer can tune it (that’s the only thing keeping me from buying it). As of right now the emanage is probably your best bet.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm i hope some very knowledgeable people come post here because i would like to know this too. as for my i'm liking the unichip more than emanage..i dont mind taking it to a tuner because i know one of the best tuners out there. as far as i know he's one of the best for the hondata k-pro. also unichip seems great for both n/a and boost later on.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well what these all do is ultimately the same thing. They manipulate MAF signal voltage and allow you to control the fuel and ignition maps. They all achieve the same goal what makes them different is the end user adjustability and the power of the unit at hand.

Emanage:

Great unit, with fairly inexpensive price to match can get expensive with all the optional hardware. Is tC friendly with lots of support through us and various other companies on here. This is the best unit for the novice installed with some tuning knowledge. Need laptop and support tool to utilize it to its full potential

Ultimate:

Very powerful ability seems to be endless. New unit with bugs still needing to be weeded out, will work now but ultimately it is not the ideal choice for someone wanting perfect integration. This packs a lot of powerful features far greater than any other piggy back that we have seen. Need laptop integration to utilize any of the good features.

Uni Chip

A good unit, on the expensive side with limited end user adjustability for the weekend tuner. God a bad rap with Subaru’s near the beginning on seem to make a application for everything hence the name “UNICHIP” Is a fairly powerful piece but you are limited to there circle of dealers that can charge a premium due to limited competition. So once you buy you are dedicated for life.

Cam Con:

This is my choice for the avid NA guy. With the ability to tune the VVTI and fairly non complex controls this is very similar to the V-AFC for all the Honda guys. This unit allows a low upfront price tag and fairly large tenability. Not as broad as any of the above but more than enough for the average tuner looking for a little more.

There are several others that you can research about but hopefully this will give you an idea.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thx zpi
more input please :D
from other people would be nice too :D

so let me get this straight. with a little research ive done

CAMCON = A/F, VVTi engagement and timing
easy to tune and doesnt require a tuner for full potential

emanage = A/F in more detail than the CAMCON, ignition timing, pressure knock stall sensors, VTEC controller
what is 2nd MAP sensor?
has optional PC/laptop hook up to bring out its potential

ULTIMATE = everything emanage does to a higher extent + boost and blah blah blah (too crazy for my NA setup)
has optional PC/laptop hook up to bring out its potential

UNICHIP = sounds the same as the emanage to me but pricier...

is this accurate info i jus put down?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great info zpi!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone needs to clarify this does the emanage ultimate do vvti adjustments, I was under the impression that it didn't.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member

Do any of these systems get rid of the cel problem when we install header on our cars?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by smittyfolifetc
Do any of these systems get rid of the cel problem when we install header on our cars?
It most likely will not, since these units mainly control a/f and timing. The cel from header is thrown from the 2nd o2 sensor, which is simply there to monitor the precat efficiency (the one in the stock manifold). Your best bet is to just use one of the antifouler tricks, or if u want to sped a little more, get a high flow cat and relocate the sensor behind it. This second method has not yet been tested on the tC but theoretically, it should work.

Too bad megan racing didn't try to fix the issues with their original header that included a precat. I bet they would have one over some aw and DC header customers by complying with carb specifications.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyota_scion_tc
Someone needs to clarify this does the emanage ultimate do vtec adjustments, I was under the impression that it didn't.
Sweet, where can I get a tc with vtec?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone needs to clarify this does the emanage ultimate do vtec adjustments, I was under the impression that it didn't.

what we have is nothing like vtec we cant compair

but to my understanding it doesnt do timing adjustments

and for n/a guys not looking to pay out the a$$ get the apexi safc were still working out all the bugs (below 4000k rpm tuning but this is an issue with the camcon also thats why some ppl dont use them any more and im sure every thing but the unichip gets the same error since its the only one that doesnt change input valuse to the ecu only out put values from it )

but you can pick up the safcII for about 150-200 used if you look around on honda tech and other large forum

and incase any one didnt mention it the emanage ult. will also remove the revlimiter and speed limiter witch is useless on n/a tc's since it tops out shortly after the speedlimiter and stops making power before the revlimiter

but if you making 300whp then get one and have fun going over 140mph and making power up around 6700 rpms i wish i could
Old 02-02-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aarontrini85

what we have is nothing like vtec we cant compair

but to my understanding it doesnt do timing adjustments

and for n/a guys not looking to pay out the a$$ get the apexi safc were still working out all the bugs (below 4000k rpm tuning but this is an issue with the camcon also thats why some ppl dont use them any more and im sure every thing but the unichip gets the same error since its the only one that doesnt change input valuse to the ecu only out put values from it )

but you can pick up the safcII for about 150-200 used if you look around on honda tech and other large forum

and incase any one didnt mention it the emanage ult. will also remove the revlimiter and speed limiter witch is useless on n/a tc's since it tops out shortly after the speedlimiter and stops making power before the revlimiter

but if you making 300whp then get one and have fun going over 140mph and making power up around 6700 rpms i wish i could
The SAFC is a pice of junk. It can only adjust AF ratios in open loop on the TC. You might as well use the Camcon and have adjustability of the VVTI also. The only way to adjust A/F ratios in closed loop is to adjust fuel pressure like Sound Performance has. You would need a return fuel system for that though.

If you want to make power on an N/A motor you need to adjust timing so you can utlilize 93 octane. You can only do that with the E-manage and Unichip.

Oh, and the TC could definately use another 500 rpms. It would help in drag racing and there is definately some power up there if you have the right mods.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no you dont need to adjust the fuel pressure (although that is a good way to trick the ecu in to adjusting the timing) to make the safc work SP is about to do it on my buddy justins car witch is stock with a safc II
Old 02-02-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Thus, turning a piece of junk into a usable tool! Yippee!
Old 02-02-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
Thus, turning a piece of junk into a usable tool! Yippee!

afordable usable tool
Old 02-02-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aarontrini85
no you dont need to adjust the fuel pressure (although that is a good way to trick the ecu in to adjusting the timing) to make the safc work SP is about to do it on my buddy justins car witch is stock with a safc II
Here is a quote from Sound Performance yesterday:

Well I am not sure that the SAFC will work in a NA car yet. I am going to try it with a TC that I have coming in. The problem is the car is in closed loop till 5500 rpm so you can not tune closed loop. With the turbo kit I was adding fuel to make powera long with fuel pressure. I think I can trick the 02 on a na car to make the car think it is lean and see how it goes from there..

It sounds like he is not too sure. I think you guys are jumping the gun thinking he has it figured out already.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

a nice Return fuel system will be next then... to get this all to work happy... better for my n2o anyways....

It's all a waiting game...
Old 02-02-2006, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the emanage takes off the rev limiter... thats why i didnt include it in th ultimate.

and the guy asking about VTEC... he's only asking so quit the bashing and joking around. we are grown ups now :D

back on topic

so your saying, almost all piggy backs will throw a CEL below 4rpm??

ZPI, have you had this problem?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
the emanage takes off the rev limiter... thats why i didnt include it in th ultimate.

and the guy asking about VTEC... he's only asking so quit the bashing and joking around. we are grown ups now :D

back on topic

so your saying, almost all piggy backs will throw a CEL below 4rpm??

ZPI, have you had this problem?
i have a feeling they will and as far as sp ill call them up later today or most likely ill just stop by saterday and talk to mike about it

Quick Reply: emanage vs ultimate vs unichip