Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Engine sputter

Old 05-01-2017, 04:08 AM

Red face Engine sputter

Hey guys, I have a 2010 tc 5-speed & experiencing some engine sputters and abnormal idling ..i went to leave work yesterday, took off just fine but when I went into 2nd gear it started sputtering and hesitating to go and then it jetted off. Threw my hazards on cause I was on the Hwy and then it stopped sputtering and made it home fine. Had a friend look at it, he said maybe a little water in the gas so I put more gas in it and it didn't do it as much. But when I tried to drive it today, it was worse and didn't stop. We checked for a vac leak, I've cleaned the MAF.. we reset the ecu, and then it started to idle really low ( like at 500) & today it shuts off now.. my next guess after the MAF was spark plugs and/or coil packs? I've also been told it could be something with idle air control or fuel pump? Bad injector maybe? Tps? And also how do you do a fuel compression test? Any info helps!
Old 05-01-2017, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need to get it on a scan tool and check for codes as well as read some of the sensors. Monitor the O2 sensor to see if it's stuck rich or lean. Also check the MAF signal voltage. It should vary as you hit the gas and stay relatively steady at idle.

Search this Thread