Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Exhaust/Rattling Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 08:36 PM
SL Member

Red face Exhaust/Rattling Noise

Hey Everyone, I currently drive an 06' Scion tC. I've been getting a sort of rattle whenever I stop at a light while idling on "Drive" . But when I drive it fades away. But at certain RPMs, you can hear the rattle underneath the car. It kind of gets annoying because I feel like its much louder on the outside
of the vehicle and don't want to get pulled over for it. The only modifications I've done is got a Spec D Tuning exhaust. I've read a similar post saying that it could be a water pump problem or a heat shield tapping the exhaust pipes. Down below I will attach the video of the sound from my cabin.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-01-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:35 AM
SL Member

You could try to take a look at the exhaust and see if it is contacting any part of the car. You could also start the car and see if you can pinpoint the location of the sound beneath the car. If it is not there, you can check the left side of the engine to try to hear if it is the water pump, but that sounds like the exhaust is touching somewhere to me.

I had something similar happen on my car, the first owner of my car had a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust kit welded instead of using the clamps, fine but the exhaust was welded a little crooked and then welds started failing. So, with the stock rubber exhaust hangers/mounts, the exhausts hung just enough to clear the rear subframe, but would aways shake because they were old and worn. So, fixed my exhaust leaks by rewelding the exhaust and I got some stiff polyurethane (Torque Solution) exhaust mounts. I then heard the sound/felt and when I checked the rear, the exhaust was vibrating on the rear subframe, and I fixed this by getting 3 (12mm Long) exhaust hangers for the rear and 2 of the regular 12mm for the mid-pipe section and this fixed my issue. Obviously, you said your sound is coming from the front so that is where I would start to look.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:25 PM
SL Member

Hi, I had two years ago a suspicion that my muffler make noise. I took the car to a garage and put on the lift. By visually doing an inspection of the Muffler was clear that was rusty. So I decided to replace him. Then later the noise come back. I was embarrassed to find that my plate number make the noise.
The bolts on Scion xB 2004, where 1/8 inch longer. Those were making a little gap/space with the fifth back door. When I touch with my fingers. I recognize the noise. I use gaskets as a spacers made from rubber material to stop the noise.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's pretty darn resourceful, Birsan. I'm terrible with locating unwanted noise.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:52 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by JakeAut0
You could try to take a look at the exhaust and see if it is contacting any part of the car. You could also start the car and see if you can pinpoint the location of the sound beneath the car. If it is not there, you can check the left side of the engine to try to hear if it is the water pump, but that sounds like the exhaust is touching somewhere to me.

I had something similar happen on my car, the first owner of my car had a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust kit welded instead of using the clamps, fine but the exhaust was welded a little crooked and then welds started failing. So, with the stock rubber exhaust hangers/mounts, the exhausts hung just enough to clear the rear subframe, but would aways shake because they were old and worn. So, fixed my exhaust leaks by rewelding the exhaust and I got some stiff polyurethane (Torque Solution) exhaust mounts. I then heard the sound/felt and when I checked the rear, the exhaust was vibrating on the rear subframe, and I fixed this by getting 3 (12mm Long) exhaust hangers for the rear and 2 of the regular 12mm for the mid-pipe section and this fixed my issue. Obviously, you said your sound is coming from the front so that is where I would start to look.
Hey Jake, I took the car to a mechanic shop to see what they could do and the guy was saying its due to the fact that the spec d piping is 3 inches whereas the stock was 2 inches. But, I've read online that people had gotten their exhaust system rewelded to avoiding contact. Ive also seen videos where EricTheCarGuy put hose clamps around the rubber exhaust hangers. You think that'd work?
Old 11-08-2020, 11:24 PM
SL Member

Ive also seen videos where EricTheCarGuy put hose clamps around the rubber exhaust hangers. You think that'd work?
It could work, but the only way to find out is to try it.

I have seen some videos of the "Spec D Exhaust" and it looks like it contacts the front sway bar because it hangs a little low (I don't know if yours does)
and like the guy said it's a bigger diameter, so maybe polyurethane exhaust hangers could help possibly.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-09-2020 at 01:11 AM.