Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Heat coated my header

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:46 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Heat coated my header

Ok, it took a good 5 hours last night for everything but it's done and it looks pretty damn good IMO.

I used POR 15 Black Velvet 1200 degree heat paint and brushed it on with a foam brush. I first cleaned it with some amazing cleaner called Aircraft Stripper. This stuff WILL eat through just about anything (including the cup I put it in that dissolved in 15 seconds. Use METAL containers if you're going to use this stuff and lots of gloves. Chemical burns are not too fun as I found out. Luckily I knew what it was and I washed it quickly with running water.

I hosed the cleaner off and used my 1000 degree heat gun to dry it thoroughly inside and out. I then used some emory cloth to scuff it and used to cans of brake cleaner to clean it of any dust. I again used the heat gun to heat the header from the inside of the runners so that it would evaporate any moisture left behind.

I put 1 light coat of POR 15 on and let it dry for about 10 minutes and then heat treated it with the heat gun. Each runner had heat blown in it at 1000 degrees for 2-3 minute intervals and then once again for 1 minute after each began to smoke (dry).

I put a second, heavy coat on while the pipes were still hot and it dried as it was being painted. I then performed the same heat cylcing as above with an added 2 minutes to the final smoke drying.

When finished, I re-installed the header using the stock gasket I had laying around the shed . I turned the car on and of course, it smoked like a _____ but I let it idle for about 5 minutes. Then I shut it off and let the engine cool for about 15 minutes. Then, I started it up again and let it idle for 15 minutes, and again...I shut if off for another 15 minutes.

Last, I took it out for a normal drive and could smell the paint heating and drying. I drove for about 20 minutes around 40 mph and pulled into a 7-11 for a snack. I let the engine cool for 10 minutes and took some pictures of the black turning a dark ash color, but very even throughout. I am very happy. The car seemed to wake up a bit with this coating but that may have been just an initial euphoric effect. We'll see in a few hundred/thousand miles if this coating holds up and does what it's supposed to do. (heat coating on a header should help increase exhaust velocity slightly but enough to enable you to feel a better result.)

Here's pics:

Starting:

10 minutes later...No header anymore :

Original look laying on the ground:

Time for the aircraft stripper:

All clean and scuffed:

Wet coat 1:

Heated coat 1:

Coat 2 painted on as pipes wer hot:

Coat 2 close up but blurry :

Final burn for coat 2:

Header painting complete:

Header installed side:

Header installed front:

At 7-11 with more light now:

At 7-11 passenger shot:
Old 04-21-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks great, very clean.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Looks good.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

tyteee
Old 04-21-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shoulda wrapped the header too while you had it off . clean job though!
Old 04-22-2007, 03:30 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
shoulda wrapped the header too while you had it off . clean job though!
Nah, seen way too many damaged header(s) from that (in person too). A lot of people warn about how it will cause a lot of uneven heat and crack the header...this is true......also, you better hope water NEVER gets on it. High heat breaks down finishes on the pipes and when the water is absorbed by the fiberglass wrap, it gets trapped between the metal and wrap and steams up. Steam can skyrocket in temperature compared to metal (sometimes) and that excess moisture will cause rust and weak spots to form from the rust thus.....blowing out the header.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:31 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the comments everyone. 250 miles so far (highway at 80+) and the coating is even and no cracks or chips.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

That looks really good. Very clean and stealth if you will. I like it!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:44 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
That looks really good. Very clean and stealth if you will. I like it!

Thanks..........I did my muffler and resonator as well. ...Here's pic:

Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member

I paint all of my stock headers and exhausts with that 1200 degree ceramic flat black paint from autozone $5 a can . It looks so much better than rust and keeps the heat inside good.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:51 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Troy
I paint all of my stock headers and exhausts with that 1200 degree ceramic flat black paint from autozone $5 a can . It looks so much better than rust and keeps the heat inside good.
Yeah, I've used the autozone stuff before but didn't have luck with it on my truck. I just wanted to try something new and you're right.............the heat does stay inside much better. My engine bay temp is a good bit lower and I can tap my header runners with my fingers without burning them off almost immediately.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:48 PM
SL Member

Looks good man ,I sort of did the same thing but I cheated I took mine to HP coatings got 1600 degree coat inside and out, I pop the hood while its running you can touch the header very quickly and not have your skin melt off. Ceramic coating reduces 50% of the heat. It comes with a high gloss finish, Also lifetime warranty against fading,cracking,peeling, chips Oh yeah is was 150$ not bad considering they back up there work. I have som picss on my profile. I chose Alphawerks.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

where did you get that aircraft stripper from..... my header is completely tarnished and such, and i would love to be able to clean it off.

if it eats through everyting but metal, what kind of gloves did you use?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:44 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Neothin
where did you get that aircraft stripper from..... my header is completely tarnished and such, and i would love to be able to clean it off.

if it eats through everyting but metal, what kind of gloves did you use?

I got it from Autozone (big blue metal can that says Aircraft Stripper and has a jumbo jet on it).

Well............haha, my dumba** used blue nitrile gloves....yeah, not what you want to use. Chemical burns hurt quite a bit. Home depot should have chemical resistant gloves but just make sure they are ACID resistant as well.....haha....it's good stuff but just be careful.

WEAR OLD CLOTHES AND DON'T BREATHE THE FUMES IN FOR TOO LONG.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:54 PM

Looks like a pacesetter header, looks good though! :D

Old 04-26-2007, 01:15 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jayjay
Looks good man ,I sort of did the same thing but I cheated I took mine to HP coatings got 1600 degree coat inside and out, I pop the hood while its running you can touch the header very quickly and not have your skin melt off. Ceramic coating reduces 50% of the heat. It comes with a high gloss finish, Also lifetime warranty against fading,cracking,peeling, chips Oh yeah is was 150$ not bad considering they back up there work. I have som picss on my profile. I chose Alphawerks.

I was thinking of going to Jethot and doing it but then just decided to do it myself. Eventually, if things start to build for my car, I'm getting the entire exhaust system (header back) completely flat black powder coated. Got a guy at a body shop that would do it for 500$. We'll see though.....that's a lot right now and I'll just wait for this stuff to wear itself thin.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:15 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
Looks like a pacesetter header, looks good though! :D
Yeah it does!...haha....oh well............it's dark so that's all i wanted.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, webman, looks great! do mine now too j/k
Old 04-26-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

lookin good. harrison, ill help you if ya want!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks good

Quick Reply: Heat coated my header