Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Help from Experienced or not Turbo tuners.!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Help from Experienced or not Turbo tuners.!

Hi, i am trying to build a custom turbo setup for a stock scion tc right now. I need some help putting together a parts list and help on what to get. So far i got

(prices are estimated) all used btw i dont need brand spanking new lols

Turbo manifold - $200- what kind would i need? Should i be getting one that was already out there for camry engines? Since our engine is the camry engine.

T3 Turbocharger - $100-$250 - just trying to boost 6-8psi I think a t3 turbo is enough... I figured a t3 is better for a street setup, done some research and it said it gives better response and less turbo lag.

Downpipe - $100 - probably get it off a drag or revhard kit

FMU fuel management - $100 - $120 - mayber a vortech or cartech...

wastegate - $100 - The turbonetics deltaweategate is 100 bucks new...

oil feed and return lines - around 50 bucks?

silicone hoses - around 30 bucks? just gotta shop around at parts store like homedepot

map sensor bypass valve 10 bucks

vaccum lines - 5 bucks

blow off valve - 100 bucks optional but i want one haha

Intercooler - 300-400 bucks

What else would i need to add into this custom setup?? Like piggy back systems, boost guages, turbo controller, etc etc...

What are they MUST for this custom no accessories... Im trying to get this turbo project as cost friendly as possible. I estimate this project for my parts is 1k? Im gonna keep on looking around to find the cheapest possible price.

Can anyone help me put the parts together? Thanks alot
Old 04-21-2005, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how about t-bolt clamps and a fitting for when you tap your oil pan? ic piping? injectors? fuel pump? I think you're going to need a custom turbo manifold and downpipe cause I don't think they have them out yet for this motor...but I could be wrong.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ahh yes, i actually wrote those down but i forgot to type it up thanks for reminding me!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i also have a question, would i be able to set up my ibook to control almost everything in my turbo setup? Like when to spool, how many psi and so on and monitor the guages and stuff? Does anyone know if theres a program out for this.

Or i should get like the HKS electronic turbo controller that does everything from turbo timer - chanign psi with a couple of buttons.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can run a standalone system such as aem ems but I think that would be out of your budget. For an ebc I have used a Greddy Profec B Spec II. It also has a remote switch available which allows you to switch between your low and high boost preset configurations. Also used a Greddy turbo timer and never had problems with either.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you also doing custom exhaust work? I would reccommend 3" mandrel bent piping and either go with a high flow cat or eliminate it totally.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yes, im gonna try and do everything custom, if its possible if not i will order parts from a avalible kit or ebay =D Im hoping to get some help while collecting parts then help others if they want to install one as well.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ouch, the Greddy Profec B Spec II is nice but its gonna mess up my budget plan for a turbo set up under 1.3k haha. I think im gonna go manual controller if i cant find one for under 200 bucks.

BTW poizentc, did you turbocharged your tc already, or its another car. Thanks for the help btw
Old 04-21-2005, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did a custom turbo setup on my Honda Del Sol. You can find a used Greddy Profec B Spec II for about $200. It's also good because it helps prevent boost spike and displays how much boost you're running so you don't have to buy an extra gauge. All I can say is do research on everything before you buy. I know that you're trying to save as much money as possible but don't sacrifice quality and efficiency. Do things right the first time so you won't have so many problems later on. Turbo is alot more maintenance than s/c and be prepared to dish out that extra cash.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would just have an exhaust shop make a downpipe for less than that.

I'm not sure if your ibook even has a serial port, which is what most management systems use. Also, I believe most of the software is written for windows.

I would go with hard pipes as opposed to silicon. You should be able to have a local shop weld them up, and you wont have to worry about blowing a charge pipe in the middle of a run.

make sure your bov goes after whatever airflow meter you're using or you could run rich whenever the thing vents.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is a Serial to USB converter for windows. ( im sure Mac would have something like it )

It works well for me.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=26-183
Old 04-21-2005, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

nice, thanks for the info guys

Im actually looking for a multi function electronic boost controller then, around 4-500 cause im gonna have to get the guages and sesnors as well which will add up to the prce of an electronic boost controller.

Any controllers out there for oil temp water temp plus boost guage? and data logging all that for tuning? Or its only avalible to standalone ecu's...
Old 04-21-2005, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THe best thing on the market rigth now is the E-Manage, which Scion Speed and ZPI used for their kits. But from what i read i dont sound very familiar with turbo setups and tuning. If i were you i wouldnt mess with the car except if you had extra 5k for new engine or if you know some1 that could really help you out here. But what ever you good luck, hope to see some nice results.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member

I got a question, how much whp do you want? If your going for WRX material yeah go with 8-9 psi on a Ht3/t4 turbo (greddy is working on a generic line). Just remember to get all the computing like turbo timer, Engine management, and fuel management. Also new clutch, new feul injectors, and remeber that an intercooler will force you to shave part of your interior front bumper.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member

also this car's engine can take a beating before you have to relpace anything...
Old 04-21-2005, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bLaNc0
Profec E-01 wit the E-manage !!!!!!!!1
^^^ I almost forgot about that..Good stuff!
Old 04-23-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Im just looking to gain around 50-80 hps. Not a lot, just enough to give me a little more power to the car. I just thought it would be a fun project. Not too crazy enough to rebuild the engine and go for like 400 hp.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The first thing that you need to rember is that this is not a civic. All the easy tricks at slapping a turbo kit togther will not work.

I do not know is a camry manifold will work but I doubt it. The placement if the turbo is the tricky part on these cars. If you only want to run 6 psi the factory ecu is smart enough to adjust the fuel, the injectors are big enough.

There are no stand alones out right now with the exception of the motec that will work with the TC. AEM does not have any systems avaiable to work in conjuction with the drive by wire. What you need to realize when building a custom kit is that this is a new platform with very little feedback thus far. All of the info out there is limited and if you screw something up on the research to be able to figure it out. I am all for people trying to do it on there own I just wanted you to realize what you actually need. We can even sell you most of the parts if you wanted to put a kit togther yourself. below is a break down of parts for people trying ot piece togther there own kit,

ZPI manifold.....we will leave this unflanged you will have to have a flanged welded into it to match what ever turbo you are going to use.

turbo

oil lines.....correct sizing is important not to rob to much pressure from the head and wig out the vvti.

Fittings..........these are a very weird thread and pitch these will need to be ordered. you will also need to get flanges made for the bottom of the turbo and for the oil pan.

Downpipe.....you will more than likely have to have this custom made as it will hit your A/c

CEL Fix........you will have a check engine ligth because you 02 willl see excessive flow, this in turn dumps fuel on a already limited fuel system....not good

piping.........this you will have to make for the setup on the car.

EMS..........If you plan on running larger injectors or more than 6 psi you will need some type of piggy back to control these. You will also need someone who knows how to use the piggy back. I would suggest emanage or S-afc bit are very good tools. We like the emanage for its expandability.

Then you are done......you will still need clamps, bolts, couplers, heat shield if you chose, etc......

Hope this helps

-kenny
Old 04-23-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by idriveatC
Im just looking to gain around 50-80 hps. Not a lot, just enough to give me a little more power to the car. I just thought it would be a fun project. Not too crazy enough to rebuild the engine and go for like 400 hp.
50-80 bhp should work out to around 6-8 psi. There is a company posting on here claiming around 230WHP from 6-8 psi... which I am highly skeptical of. If you do the rough calculations, it comes out closer to 220-240 BHP. Just dont skimp on the important peices, and definitely go with metal piping in place of the silicone.