Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hi-flow cat, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hi-flow cat, good or bad?

I know the car hasn't come out yet, but do you guys think that a hi-flow cat would benifit HP if it's ran with a cold air intake and TRD exhaust? and eventually with the supercharger. That's what I'm thinking of doing, but I heard something about back pressure and loosing low end tourque or something like that, can anybody further clarify this for me. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kinda hard to give you an answer for a car that isnt out yet
Old 05-20-2004, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you include a full exhaust with new piping and a new muffler then you will see a good result from the high flow cat. adding just a high flow cat will not do anything.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:35 PM

are you asking about a high flow for the TC?? If so, there will never be one available, the TC has whats called a thermal reactor converter which is molded to the exhaust manifold. Toyota really scred this one up, the TC cannot have a header or a high flow cat design because of this. I have already been in the works for the tC exhaust system for some time.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is saw the tC TRD Muffler at the Want tC site, and I must say, it is qutie weird looking...
Old 05-20-2004, 03:19 PM

pic? i wana see it. :D link?

Old 05-20-2004, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

www.wanttc.com
Old 05-20-2004, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member

a highflow cat is virtually useless on a car that isnt forced induction...even more so a car that isnt turbo. I would save my change and get a FI kit for the car first, then worry about the car. Out of the box on a stock car...a high flow cat will probaby give you 2 hp, and take 5 ft-lbs away.

High flow cat is like 300 bucks in some places...spend 500 and put a bottle in the damn thing.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by WhitexB
a highflow cat is virtually useless on a car that isnt forced induction...even more so a car that isnt turbo. I would save my change and get a FI kit for the car first, then worry about the car. Out of the box on a stock car...a high flow cat will probaby give you 2 hp, and take 5 ft-lbs away.

High flow cat is like 300 bucks in some places...spend 500 and put a bottle in the damn thing.
or get a manifold back system and don't lose ft-lbs. the high flow cat works perfectly on our cars and has great results. A $500 is good only for runs once in a while but a manifold back system is forever. :twisted:
so there white xb !!!

Old 05-20-2004, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Stylis

or get a manifold back system and don't lose ft-lbs. the high flow cat works perfectly on our cars and has great results. A $500 is good only for runs once in a while but a manifold back system is forever. :twisted:
so there white xb !!!
add a manifold and you maybe get to keep the torque, but still for the money you spend on a cat, and a header...its still a waste of money. FI on these cars makes chump change power, you might as well spend every dollar you have on it though cause the HP/Dollar ratio is the best.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:05 PM

so there white xb !!!
add a manifold and you maybe get to keep the torque, but still for the money you spend on a cat, and a header...its still a waste of money. FI on these cars makes chump change power, you might as well spend every dollar you have on it though cause the HP/Dollar ratio is the best.
You really think people around here with the xB are gonna take the risk of voiding thier warranties so soon with a mod like removing their Fuel injectors?? Only a hand ful of people have actually changed their injsctors and would rather pay for a high flow cat than void a warranty.
mmmm....full exhuast system that helps with HP and tourqe or fuel injectors that could void the warranty. :?

Old 05-20-2004, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member

so there white xb !!!
You really think people around here with the xB are gonna take the risk of voiding thier warranties so soon with a mod like removing their Fuel injectors?? Only a hand ful of people have actually changed their injsctors and would rather pay for a high flow cat than void a warranty.
mmmm....full exhuast system that helps with HP and tourqe or fuel injectors that could void the warranty. :?
Warranty, think about the $1000+ fine you can get for breaking emissions laws. According to the Federal Emissions act, modifying, removing or replacing the catylitic converter on a vehicle with less than 50,000 miles is illegal. A liscenced shop wont even do the work. UNLESS, there is a malfunction. You can buy a highflow cat, any exhaust shop with a reputation wont touch that with a 10 foot pole, its their liscence.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default umm...

its interesting hearing yall argue. i get a kick out of it......quit basing stuff on asumptions, lets see it happen, if its an issue........just a thought....
Old 05-21-2004, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you asking about a high flow for the TC?? If so, there will never be one available, the TC has whats called a thermal reactor converter which is molded to the exhaust manifold. Toyota really scred this one up, the TC cannot have a header or a high flow cat design because of this. I have already been in the works for the tC exhaust system for some time.
Yes, for the tc with FI and TRD exhaust included.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:44 AM

so there white xb !!!
Warranty, think about the $1000+ fine you can get for breaking emissions laws. According to the Federal Emissions act, modifying, removing or replacing the catylitic converter on a vehicle with less than 50,000 miles is illegal. A liscenced shop wont even do the work. UNLESS, there is a malfunction. You can buy a highflow cat, any exhaust shop with a reputation wont touch that with a 10 foot pole, its their liscence.
Glad I have an 11ft pole!!! :twisted: You can put a high flow cat on as long as it is smog legal and still keep your warranty in tact, yet the warranty contract says: any modification to the drivetrain will void the warranty!! Doesn't say exhaust system, it says drivetrain! :? Didn't mean to burst your bubble, but modding the Fuel injecters is a stupid idea of somthing simple :?

Old 05-21-2004, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member

I dont understand why your so scared of fuel injectors?

Im not saying the cat will void the warranty, Im saying there is a federal law preventing you from touching the stock cat.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hes got a point, the bottle is very tempting.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member

If I wasnt such a turbo freak, I would spray the death out of the xB, but its just not my style

Originally Posted by iamslow
hes got a point, the bottle is very tempting.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:35 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

stop bickering. I bet neither of you haven't even changed out your injectors were a few of us, including myself, have.

my car has 12k miles on it and it hasn't been legal for about 6k of them...who cares...check engine light hasn't been off in months

stylis, let this man know my exhaust system
Old 05-22-2004, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member

My scion has 300 miles on it, so no, I havent touched the injectors on it. Not that I think that thats a big task, Ive done it one my DSMs and other cars in the past.

Originally Posted by showpaojoe
stop bickering. I bet neither of you haven't even changed out your injectors were a few of us, including myself, have.

my car has 12k miles on it and it hasn't been legal for about 6k of them...who cares...check engine light hasn't been off in months

stylis, let this man know my exhaust system