Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/)
-   -   High Temp after Header install? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-drivetrain-power-1637/high-temp-after-header-install-218376/)

Drey 10-07-2012 04:01 PM

High Temp after Header install?

So I just installed Strup Header and Invidia S-pipe on my car this morning. Then went for a ride to see the difference. Floored it as a was getting on the highway, hit about 80 mph and took the next exit. When i got to red light I've noticed my temp gauge was showing above the red zone in H like overheating.
Bit it was coming down pretty quick i just continued driving slow and it went back to normal between C and H. Never seen that happened before, is that normal with aftermarket headers? I also put in 90* CEL fix, no light yet after about 5 miles. Does the engine temp gauge reads through the O2 sensors on the exhaust?

One more thing is I disconnected one of the hoses connected to that long tubing that goes in front of the block, behind the header and spilled some oil, not much just a few drops. Is oil supposed to be in that tube?
I thought it was for coolant or something? I think i need to check my coolant level, i don't have overflow bottle connected right now, maybe its getting low and causing temp gauge to show overheat.

Let me know what do you think guys? Its my daily, last thing I need is blown engine. Thanks.

That_Kid_Ju 10-08-2012 07:20 PM

One more thing is I disconnected one of the hoses connected to that long tubing that goes in front of the block, behind the header and spilled some oil, not much just a few drops.
Pics? I hope you aren't talking about the radiator hose...

draxcaliber 10-08-2012 08:50 PM

the header itself should have nothing to do with radiator temp, but your installation process sounds like something went wrong with your cooling system, make sure nothing is leaking, and there is enough coolant and there isnt a kink or something with those hoses.

sebbyxtc 10-08-2012 10:00 PM

He's talking about the water/coolant neck. Maybe you spilled all your coolant out.

Drey 10-08-2012 10:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by That_Kid_Ju (Post 4061663)
Pics? I hope you aren't talking about the radiator hose...

No I was talking about little hose connected to this tubing

Attachment 33245

Some oily purple liquid came out there. Was kinda hard to tell if its Toyota pink coolant or Royal Purple oil. I think it was coolant though.

Originally Posted by draxcaliber (Post 4061682)
the header itself should have nothing to do with radiator temp, but your installation process sounds like something went wrong with your cooling system, make sure nothing is leaking, and there is enough coolant and there isn't a kink or something with those hoses.

Yeah now i don't think it was header related problem. I just happened to drive my car a little harder than usual and cooling system failed. I disconnected the battery for 15 min and put coolant overflow reservoir back on,
put in some water in there.Drove the car last night on the highway for about 20 minutes and today to work and back about 50 miles and the temperature seems to stay low. Does this look right to you guys?

Attachment 33246

I think what happened is my coolant level got too low because i was running without overflow reservoir for 2-3 weeks and lost some coolant.
I had to top it off 3 times already, it sucked in about 2 full of those. I'll keep my eye on it now.

Freak 10-08-2012 11:31 PM

Why do you not have a overflow bottle connected on the car? Its there for reason I don't think its a good idea to be running the car with out it connected. You also want to make sure there is no air in your coolant system. Do you have the hole on the side of you radiator were the bottle connects to capped off?

Freak 10-08-2012 11:35 PM

Make sure you keep it connected so you can see if the levels are go up and down.

Jan06xB 10-08-2012 11:48 PM

You may have just cooked your heads. The overflow bottle is an expansion tank not really an overflow bottle. In the old days the radiator had room in it on top for an air space to allow for expansion. They did away with that space because new radiator had to be mounted lower than the top of the engine. So now the radiator has no air space in it and when the coolant expands it goes into that "overflow bottle" and back into the radiator when it cools. By removing it you just pumped coolant out of your cooling system on to the ground causing pollution and letting air back into your engine block where it can cause corrosion and air pockets to prevent your cylinder heads from being properly cooled.

Drey 10-09-2012 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Freak (Post 4061719)
Why do you not have a overflow bottle connected on the car? Its there for reason I don't think its a good idea to be running the car with out it connected. You also want to make sure there is no air in your coolant system. Do you have the hole on the side of you radiator were the bottle connects to capped off?
Make sure you keep it connected so you can see if the levels are go up and down.

Yeah the little hose from radiator cap to overflow bottle was left disconnected for a few weeks. How can i tell if I have air is in my cooling system and how do i let it out? Just flush it with some fresh coolant? I'm at 75k miles w/ original toyota coolant.

Originally Posted by Jan06xB (Post 4061725)
You may have just cooked your heads. The overflow bottle is an expansion tank not really an overflow bottle. In the old days the radiator had room in it on top for an air space to allow for expansion. They did away with that space because new radiator had to be mounted lower than the top of the engine. So now the radiator has no air space in it and when the coolant expands it goes into that "overflow bottle" and back into the radiator when it cools. By removing it you just pumped coolant out of your cooling system on to the ground causing pollution and letting air back into your engine block where it can cause corrosion and air pockets to prevent your cylinder heads from being properly cooled.

Oh man! Don't say that! What would be signs of damaged head? It got pretty bad yesterday. I would start with temp needle in the middle, then take my car around the block, like 1 minute or less, and come back with needle almost at red zone. Then put car in neutral and temp would go down quick. idk

Jan06xB 10-09-2012 01:36 AM

Get that bottle connected again and keep it full of good coolant to the full line. If there is a bleeder on the heater hose then let the air out. You probably have a big pocket of air in the engine that works it way to the water pump and runs it dry stopping the cooling to the head. Open the radiator cap and fill it with coolant and put the cap back on and leave it on, don't be taking that cap off, just fill the expansion bottle and make sure the coolant level goes up and down as the engine gets hot and cold and it should eventually push the air out of the engine to the expansion bottle and bring in the coolant back in.

That_Kid_Ju 10-09-2012 01:40 AM

Might not be a bad time for a coolant flush since you are over 70k. May not be 100% necessary, but might as well while your coolant level is already low.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190129

frankiietc 10-09-2012 02:38 AM

Hopefully not a cracked block, if your car feels slow, over heats here and there may be signs of a cracked head, I would just drain the oil and hope there is no coolant there. Happend to my friend, all that that I explained, it would over heat here and there,one day overheated and shut off. Happend to be a cracked head

Drey 10-09-2012 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jan06xB (Post 4061748)
Get that bottle connected again and keep it full of good coolant to the full line. If there is a bleeder on the heater hose then let the air out. You probably have a big pocket of air in the engine that works it way to the water pump and runs it dry stopping the cooling to the head. Open the radiator cap and fill it with coolant and put the cap back on and leave it on, don't be taking that cap off, just fill the expansion bottle and make sure the coolant level goes up and down as the engine gets hot and cold and it should eventually push the air out of the engine to the expansion bottle and bring in the coolant back in.

Originally Posted by That_Kid_Ju (Post 4061749)
Might not be a bad time for a coolant flush since you are over 70k. May not be 100% necessary, but might as well while your coolant level is already low.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190129

I thought Toyota coolant was good until 100K? I'll pick up some tomorrow from the dealership. So just I tried to bleed out the air. Radiator took another 20 oz or so. Then I idle the car with the heater on full blast for about half an hour and I couldn't
get fans to come on and thermostat to open. I tried revved the engine, took it around the block and nothing! Top radiator hose got pretty hot, but the bottom one stayed cold even after 30 min. Temp needle does not go any higher than on the pic above.

Does it sound like my thermostat is stuck closed also?

Drey 10-09-2012 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by frankiietc (Post 4061762)
Hopefully not a cracked block, if your car feels slow, over heats here and there may be signs of a cracked head, I would just drain the oil and hope there is no coolant there. Happend to my friend, all that that I explained, it would over heat here and there,one day overheated and shut off. Happend to be a cracked head

After i put in more water it does not overheat anymore. But again it was under 70*F all day and I only drove it on the highway.

frankiietc 10-09-2012 03:23 AM

You shouldn't need to be adding coolant that often, I'm sure it's not vaporizing that fast, it's going somewhere..also sometimes you have to replace just the radiator cap..

Roller_Toaster 10-09-2012 03:25 AM

He said he was adding water, not coolant..

frankiietc 10-09-2012 03:31 AM

Is water recommended by dealer?^

Roller_Toaster 10-09-2012 03:43 AM

Pretty sure toyota pink coolant is recommended.

Drey 10-09-2012 03:52 AM

Well coolant is mixture of water and antifreeze right? A little water shouldn't hurt anything. What i was trying to do is to get all air out of the system and get it to full capacity. But I'll flush everything with new coolant tomorrow. Idk if I really need a new thermostat and radiator cap.

frankiietc 10-09-2012 03:55 AM

Yeah maybe a thermostat..