Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Home Depot tC pulling a p2195, power cutting... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation Home Depot tC pulling a p2195, power cutting... Help!

Hey guys, newbie to the board, newbie to the tuning world, but not a newbie to general messin'-around-with-stuff-until-it-works. I have an '05 manual tC that I bought used with 40k miles, and I've put about 20k more on it since I had it.

I've finally decided to start working under the hood to crank up the power. For better or worse, I enjoy doing everything myself, including building my own frankenstein'd car parts... So far I have thrown together a CAI/ram air system out of a cheap intake kit, some drainage hose from Home Depot, and some PVC pipe adapters...

That was fun, so I went on to buy a used Megan header and threw it on. Yes, I remembered all the gaskets, etc.

A friend recommended I put in that elbow/snorkel sort of thing for the O2 sensor to keep the CEL from coming on... but it still does. I can feel the power drop out of the car for a split second sometimes when I floor it in 1st-3rd gear.

My CanOBD2 informed me that the CEL is reading a p2195: O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1.

I'm assuming my computer just doesn't know that it needs to run a little bit richer now that the engine doesn't have to work quite as hard to pull/push air through it. Anybody know a quick fix? I really don't want to dump 500 bucks on a fuel controller, but I don't want to just 'fake out' the O2 sensors so that the CEL goes away.

If it means anything, I also threw in a breather filter, and there's a nerf gun in my glove compartment. Everything besides the intake/ram air/exhaust manifold is stock.

(I searched around for other threads about this sort of problem but I couldn't find any. Sorry if I missed something obvious!)

Thanks a lot in advance; I appreciate the help!

Biscuits

P.S. I know some of my methods look a bit sloppy, but hey, if it works...! I like to think of my car as a bit of a modern rat rod anyways, haha.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow! lol that elbow thing to remove CELs is possed to go on the secondary o2 sensor which is the one in the spipe, that pipe under the oilpan not on the header o2 sensor.....switch it up and ull be fine
Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
wow! lol that elbow thing to remove CELs is possed to go on the secondary o2 sensor which is the one in the spipe, that pipe under the oilpan not on the header o2 sensor.....switch it up and ull be fine
Wow, I am a fool and a half! Ahahaha, thanks much... woops! I'll get back to you when I've done that... lmao.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SergeantBiscuits
Wow, I am a fool and a half! Ahahaha, thanks much... woops! I'll get back to you when I've done that... lmao.

after switching it up unplugged the battery for 30 seconds to clear the ecu of check engines and fuel trims.....then plug battery in and turn key to on position for 5 seconds, then turn car on and let it idle for 5 minutes...this will giv eu idle fuel trims and make the ecu start making fuel adjustments according to your new mods
Old 03-14-2010, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
after switching it up unplugged the battery for 30 seconds to clear the ecu of check engines and fuel trims.....then plug battery in and turn key to on position for 5 seconds, then turn car on and let it idle for 5 minutes...this will giv eu idle fuel trims and make the ecu start making fuel adjustments according to your new mods
Excellent, thank you very much. I was told that the manual tC was good at adjusting to minor mods, so I was confused as to why it was having so much trouble with the headers.

Thanks so much... ahaha that's embarrassing. .___.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for the double-post... I was out there looking at everything, and there is no way I'm going to be able to get that huge L shaped thing screwed into the port for the O2 sensor on the S-pipe; there is not enough room to swing the whole thing around to screw it in... do I need to take the entire S pipe off to put the L shaped thing on it? Or should I just get that anti-fouler thing for $6 everyone talks about?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont think you need the anti-fouler. i had the megan header on my car and didnt install the antifouler on the s-pipe and did not get any CEL.

if you do plan on installing the antifouler, you'd need to take the spipe off to install it, there isnt enough room to screw it in while on the car.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm... Alright, I will take the L piece off of the manifold and put the sensor back in, then try letting the car idle for a few minutes to set the fuel trim like cburglb34 recommended. Maybe I just wasn't letting the car adjust the trims, and that's what's been giving me the error. Thanks guys.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a crap shoot, some get a cell and some dont. i used two spark plug antifoulers from home depot with a hole (cant remember what size) drilled through the second one as a cel eliminator. Like martin said, run it without the anit-fouler on there. If it still throws a code, take the s-pipe off and put it on, and if it still throws a code after that, try what i did!
Old 03-14-2010, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the antifouler trick it works..I use to have DC header on my setup and it works, also I still have it for my turbo setup..check out this tech article:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/tc-tech-diy-1818/header-install-dc-sports-22180/

Last edited by Rydrdg; 03-14-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The fact you have that on the upper one is bad.. your car probably is running like ____!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

what the hell is on your bumper???
Old 03-14-2010, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
Old 03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha I didnt even notice that till u said that
Old 03-14-2010, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Home depot parts, anti-fouler on the first o2 sensor, and some "thing" on the bumper. Doh.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Poor tC
Old 03-14-2010, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 03-14-2010, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

come on guys
Old 03-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes u will need to remove the spipe its easy....then install the fouler(L thing) in there

by having the L in the header u were risking serious damage to your piston rings...
the o2 sensor on the header is a AIR FUEL RATIO sensor that tells your ecu wheter or not its getting the right amount of air to fuel ratio, having the L in there was prb making the sensor read more air than fuel thus making the ecu dump alot more fuel than needed, which in turn fouls plugs and washes away your piston rings
Old 03-14-2010, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

what part exactly did you buy from home depot? i need an anti fouler and home depot would be the last place id look lol...

Quick Reply: Home Depot tC pulling a p2195, power cutting... Help!