Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hybrid tC!!!!???? Not as in fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Tuners

Default Hybrid tC!!!!???? Not as in fuel...

Alright...I've got an idea...but I want to know what problems would come along with it, any help would be appreciated. Also, some idea of the price of the project.

I want to swap in the Camry's 3.3l V6 then mate that to the 6-speed transmission for the Celica, then I want to put the RAV 4's drivetrain in there...so basically my tC would become a 6-speed, V6, all wheel drive car...which would be hella cool.

I know that there will be a lot of problems with it...but I'd like to try something unique like this...just scouting to find out what the problems would be...thanks for the help.

Also...does anyone know of a good performance shop in Northern Virginia or in close proximity where I might be able to get this done?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm......reading the title, I was hoping someone was converting the tC into a 70MPG highway slave....hahaha

sorry i can't help much..... I'd say it's possible.....but would be alot of $$$ and time....
Old 04-21-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your username makes sense now...
Old 04-21-2005, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Tuners

It's just an idea man...that's why I'm testing the feasibility of it...I KNOW that it won't be easy. Striving to attain necessary knowledge is not moronic.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Put simply, it would be an engineering nightmare. Not something any garage mechanic could ever do themselves, for the simple fact that the R&D and fabrication required would be beyond anything in even the most well equipped home garages. And for the money you would have to pay a shop crazy enough to attempt it, you could buy yourself an All-wheel drive GS450H, or an all wheel drive IS250 with money left over to get a custom turbo kit built.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The AWD thing isnt feesible (not tunneled for rear driveshaft..plus the RAV4 and tC I completely different in rear hubs and control arms).
Engine swap? Needs only 1 thing, MONEY. I know a guy with a V6 Ford SHO motor in his MX3. Anything is possible.
6spd. I'm sure there's a bellhousing adaptor that could be made...only need to deal with a little fab on mounts, subframe, suspension, and of course Complete aftermarket stand alone ECU. Maybe the stock computer can be spoofed into thinking the XRS/GTS trans is a 5spd.

Good luck with your thought process. If you pulled off a V6 swap you'd have camera's on you like the Axxis5 tC, JoTech's Nitto tC, and that Bad@$$ Widebody one with the cool sound system install.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Hybrid tC!!!!???? Not as in fuel...

Originally Posted by ProfoundMoron

Also...does anyone know of a good performance shop in Northern Virginia or in close proximity where I might be able to get this done?
You could try High Tech 4WD in Chantilly. 703- 968- 6648. They do a *lot* of work on 4WD rigs, and I know that they have vast experience on Toyota's. They are *very* good at what they do, very reasonable shop rates, and customer service oriented, I've used them for every 4WD I've owned, Jeeps, Toyotas, Audi's, etc. I have never had anything but top service from them.

You do realize that something of this undertaking is likely to cost in the $10,000 range, right???
Old 04-21-2005, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Tuners

I believe the last one that you're talking about is the all star one, correct?

Alright, so everything except for the drivetrain conversion would be feasible? Any idea on the money?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hrm...never mind....looks like from the above posts...this isn't likely to work at all. But if you do decide to do engine swaps, I would definitely check with High Tech.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

No idea about what they would charge....but if you are gonna buy a new engine...you can figure on $3000 alone just for that. Probably the same for a 6speed. YOu might save some money by purchasiing a used engine out of a 1-2 year old unit from a junkyard.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe the last one that you're talking about is the all star one, correct?

Alright, so everything except for the drivetrain conversion would be feasible? Any idea on the money?
I dont know if you have already bought your tc, but if you havn't I would suggest that you look into a different car instead of modding your tC like this. It would actally be cheaper for you if you went and bought a WRX STI or an EVO 9 when they come out. With either of these cars you'll have a 6 speed transmission, AWD, and engines putting out around 300hp(which is more than the 3.3L V6 puts out). The STI costs 34K out the door, and the tC costs 18K out the door. Figure you'll going to have to spend atleast $10k on parts, and your looking at your tC costing around $28K. Dont you think that it would just be easier and a better choice to spend an extra 5 grand on the STI and get a factory warrenty with it?
Old 04-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: Hybrid tC!!!!???? Not as in fuel...

I want to swap in the Camry's 3.3l V6 then mate that to the 6-speed transmission for the Celica, then I want to put the RAV 4's drivetrain in there...so basically my tC would become a 6-speed, V6, all wheel drive car...which would be hella cool.
?
I like the creativity... just not too realistic. However, if you do pull it off... some of the same critics will probalby be sucking your ****.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Tuners

I know that I could do that...but I have already bought the tC...and that's not what's keeping me from getting one of those 2 cars. First of all I like the way that the tC looks...second of all I'd rather have something that no one else has. Third of all, I think that it could be fun in a sort of masocistic way.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would say, try and put the V6 in there with the 5 speed manual thats offered with them (or was offered with them), it will have one less gear, and two less wheels driven, but it would in fact be the most trick TC Ive ever heard of.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Tuners

That's would probably be more feasible...but I would probably want the 6 speed eventually...and I would prefer to do all my swaps at the same time...might save on labor in the end?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so how rich are you?............
Old 04-22-2005, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I support trying the swap I guess, but the impossible AWD setup is a little too out there for me.

My thoguht though... Why bother? I guess it's "cool" but with all that money the tC motor can easily make about 600whp. I just don't see having a swap done making a good gain for the money. You could have just added a turbo for a little less than the same cost, have only a 1-2 day downtime, and toast anyone with a V6 camry swap.

And if you're doing a V6 swap... Why not bang the firewall back a little, extend the sub frame and drop in a 2JZ-GTE motor? That's a 1000hp capable motor... INSANE haha, but I guess the RWD part would be pretty damn hard.

Just build the motor, boost it with a decent spooling turbo, and destroy any Sedan-based motor out there.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

engine wont bolt to the tranny... tranny for awd isnt 6 speed.... chassis isn't suited for drive shaft to rear.... rear suspension isn't suited to be driven...

Yeahhh... No.

This is like trying to mate an elephant with a chihuahua. The results will not be pretty.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kileil
engine wont bolt to the tranny... tranny for awd isnt 6 speed.... chassis isn't suited for drive shaft to rear.... rear suspension isn't suited to be driven...

Yeahhh... No.

This is like trying to mate an elephant with a chihuahua. The results will not be pretty.
my dog is a chihuahua german shepard mix..... she worked out alright....
Old 04-22-2005, 06:28 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I was going to go through that much trouble, I wouldn't even consider AWD. I'd throw out the tC's VVT-i engine, throw in a Mitsubishi 4G63 engine, turn it lengthwise with a Chevy tranny and rear end and then call Turbonetics.

Quick Reply: Hybrid tC!!!!???? Not as in fuel...