Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Improving Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Improving Throttle Response

If you want to improve you throttle response change your spark plugs to a colder plug either the Denso SK22R11 (part number 5310) or NGK BKR7EIX-11 (part number 698 this will improve your throttle response drastically
Old 12-11-2006, 11:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ummm....okay...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is the reason, If you read NGK or Denso website about heat range the hotter the plug the slower the spark travels through the colder the faster the spark travels through.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Unless you have done some work on the engine, the stock plugs are the perfect ones for our cars. Don't you think Toyota did some research on the best plugs before they decided on which ones to put on the car.

And if you are talking about increasing the speed of a spark, I just find that funny. If you thing about it, lets say you have your engine at 4,000 rpm's. That means each plug is sparking 1,000 times per minute or around 16 times per second. If it is already firing that many times per second, what will a "quicker" spark gain you?

Point one:
Even IF a colder plug makes the spark "go faster" (which I don't see why it would because all the "hotness" or "coldness" of a plug refers to is the length of the insulator), you are only talking about milliseconds that won't be noticeable to a butt dyno.

Point two:
Even IF, you get better throttle response, you will get slightly less power that would negate the effects of the quicker throttle. The longer the spark duration (to an extent), the more fuel is burned, therefore, making more power. By having a quicker spark, you most likely aren't going to be igniting all of the fuel.

I think I will just stick with the stock plugs until I start changing stuff with my engine.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

watching.....this is interesting
Old 12-11-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THansenite covered most of the points already on why a colder plug won't increase acceleration.

All a colder plug will do on a stock motor is reduce gas mileage as you aren't getting a clean full burn of the a/f mixture.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Proof is in the plug! Maybe for some reason my engine is diffrent than yours I don;t know, but when I pulled it out and looked at it then compared it in chiltons manuals and ask other racers about it they said I needed to step to a colder plug. I did thing and my throttle response improved some and my car doesn't seem to almost die like it use to when I come to a stop, the plugs seem to help the engine respond better.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your original plugs had some issues then as "dieing when coming to a stop is not normal".

It's like saying "my new tires perform great compared to the original ones" when some people are just comparing them to the old worn out ones and not a fresh pair.

Yes all mass produced motors vary some but not enough to justfy a complete different heat range of plug.

In the end your car runs better, I just wouldn't chalk it up as a standard thing to do and get better acceleration.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

watching...
Old 12-12-2006, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...643&highlight=

BE WARNED THAT VIDEO LINK IS POTENTIAL SPYWARE.
http://www.symantec.com/security_res...012017-0346-99
Old 12-12-2006, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i heard getting a grounding kit helps fix the throttle response a bit... anyone wanna clarify (or flame) on this idea? and if so, how much of a diffrence would we be looking at b/w an 8awg and a 4awg wires for the kit?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A grounding kit works as well as you want it to work. After all, it'd be pretty messed up if you paid 50-100 bucks for a grounding kit only to have it do absolutely nothing on our cars. So if you wish it hard enough, grounding kits can work miracles. Because with imagination, anything is possible.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
A grounding kit works as well as you want it to work. After all, it'd be pretty messed up if you paid 50-100 bucks for a grounding kit only to have it do absolutely nothing on our cars. So if you wish it hard enough, grounding kits can work miracles. Because with imagination, anything is possible.

LMFAO
Old 12-12-2006, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From my knowledge "grounding kits" are like adding an exhaust to OLDER cars and you may get decent gains for the money. The problem is many "new" cars don't have the inefficiencies so the old way of adding performance doesn't give you the gains anymore but on older cars you may see something.

From years of modding many cars I wouldn't waste my money on bolt-on parts for new cars. Forced induction is the way to go but if more on a budget and you want to take your power adder with you to the next car get into nitrous like I did.

Doing anything else is personal preference but not worth the time and money in my opinion.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

The ONLY thing a grounding kit will do is possibly reduce alternator whine in high powered audio systems. If it does anything performance-wise, you have a big problem with your car.

Regarding the plugs causing a performance, you must have had some really bad plugs if these new ones made such a big difference. If your first set of plugs deteriorated and ran poorly, I would expect these new plugs to do the same in the near future. It sounds like you have some engine problems you need looked at. If your engine was running as it is supposed to, you would not notice any difference in how the engine runs. By adjusting the heat range of your plugs, you simply burn more or less fuel depending on the direction you went. If you noticed a difference, I would take your car to a mechanic to get looked at immediately because something is seriously wrong with your car.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
same with colder spark plugs.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey, THansenite , how's your clutch stop holding up. were you the one that did that write up a while back?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
hey, THansenite , how's your clutch stop holding up. were you the one that did that write up a while back?
I didn't do the write up, but I did do the clutch stop mod. It is holding up great. I love it. Took a drive in a tC with a "normal" clutch and forgot how much travel they have. Drove all summer with it and hit the track several times and no problems yet. Great mod.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ic. i guess i'll do it too... cuz i'm 2 fast 2 furious supafly chris.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

It is a good mod. Just a few tips:

1 - Use a pipe wrench or pliers to bend the metal a little bit where you actually put the stop so the pedal hits the stop square instead of on the side of it (you will understand what I mean when you do it)

2 - Make sure your taps are sharp. I tried with dull taps my first go around and it was very difficult, especially with the cramped quarters. Make sure they are sharp and your job is a lot easier.

Have fun.

Funny thing is that this cheap clutch stop mod actually DOES improve the performance of your car....unlike spark plugs or grounding kits

Quick Reply: Improving Throttle Response